TWO

Puzzle Pieces (Unfortunate Events Sequel)

 

The girl was looking directly at the guy claiming that he knows her. She felt something weird about the guy. She felt him throwing angry stare, or was it really anger? Also he makes her confused remembering their encounter at the cemetery. 

 

####

 

I have been preparing for the interview. Then it happens that Sandy will be conducting it. So this is how it's going to be. A torture. Not that I still have feelings for her. No it can't be. But it might be a burden. 

 

"I hope this interview would go smooth." Sandy opened the conversation. 

"Yeah." I just nodded.

"So what's the story behind G-dragon's success, who inspired you?" 

 

I lingered before answering her. She is focused on what I am about to say. Clutching the recorder with her small hands. 

 

Looking at her like this made every memory of the past flashback. I grinned. Of course she is the biggest part of it. Then I thought of Il Woo. I haven't received any news from him after our meeting at the cemetery. I know for the fact that he, just like me might want to forget all the bad things that happened some years back. Maybe he is hurting more than I am all these years. Him being jailed. And Yeon Hee. But I know just like me, slowly he is getting back on the track of life.

 

“Back then, I vowed to become a successful singer with my bestfriend at a cemetery.” I smiled remembering that day. “What was it about? Oh, we argued on who could buy a bigger morgue.” I added with a chuckle.

“Morgue?”

“Silly right? My friend was pointing at the expensive car but I thought he was pointing at the morgue.” I said answering her question. She nodded.

“Ah, your bestfriend is your inspiration?”

“Part of it.”

“Part of it?”

“Hmmm.” I played with my chin before adding, “...a certain girl made me want to write songs.”

“Can you tell me more about that girl?” she asked encouraging.

 

I looked at her intently. I am battling whether to tell her or not. But then what harm could it do to me by telling. It’s all in the past and I swear I am so over it.

“I liked this girl. An inspiration. I like her alot, she’s pretty, smart... but then she never gave me a single glance. I was envious of a certain guy who makes her happy.”

 

“So it’s one-sided.”

 “You can say that.”

“Is she from the industry too? And have you tried confessing?” she is curious.

“NO and yes. She’s a former classmate. I did confess however, I guess she doesn’t really like me.” I faked a laugh.

She looked at me, calculating. Like weighing whether to ask something or not. Then decided to ask. “So you just gave her up?”

“Hmm. Looking back, I felt like a fool back then. I followed her around, even if she’s deliberately pushing me. I don’t know when I get back to my senses. I guess it was because she looked down on me that I swear I’ll become better one day. And here I am, G-dragon.” I explained.

 

I observed her. Waiting for any signs. Maybe anticipating that she’ll know. She made no response at first. Then she started to move her lips.

“She might be regretting now. Who would have thought you’ve experienced that.”

 

My brows suddenly raised on its own accord. It made me irritated. I felt frustrated. Just like before. Just like before. I felt as if she is playing with me again. And I hate it. “Can we take a break?” I stood up irritated.

 

“I’m sorry if I offended you. I don’t want to sound rude.”

Still, I turned my back on her. Just then, she grabbed my wrist. I felt something stirring up inside me again. And I don’t like that feeling.

 

“Stop this act.” I erupted. I closed my eyes thinking of how stupid I am acting.

Sandy stood up. Meet my gaze. And there reflected a confusion on her beautiful eyes.

“I’m really sorry. I mean no harm.”

I don’t know. But I just blurted out, “Come on. Still pretending that you don’t know me?”

With that, she looked even more confuse. “Sorry...”

 

My world stopped. She is looking directly at me. Hurt. But there is no recognition. And I can’t sense any lie or pretence from her. I froze.

 

“I’m Jiyong. Kwon Ji Yong. You don’t remember? Your classmate.”

Her confused face made me frustrated. Something inside me wanted to protest. Wanting to be recognized. Again even though I am trying to deny it, I am hurt. This girl is really something.

 

“Sorry.” she averted her eyes before meeting with mine again. “No.”

“Come on Dara!” I got frustrated that I raised my voice.

“Dara...Dara.” I felt her tremble. She loosen her grip and eventually released my hands from her gentle touch. “I don’t know. I’m Sandy. Sandara Park.” she blinked and become pale.

 

I am about to touch her colorless face when Seunghyun came. I scratched my head and turned to Seunghyun.

 

“Gotta drink Hyung. Your friend sure knows how to ask sensitive questions.” I patted Seunghyun’s back.  

 

He stood there looking at me then back at Dara. Or Sandy. Or whatever. And when I am out of sight I found myself having hard time breathing. Then a loud thud.