Three

Puzzle Pieces (Unfortunate Events Sequel)

 

The girl is confused. She can’t help but just stare at the guy in front of her.  His eyes were searching. Unlike before, it is not warm and assuring. She hugged herself and asked without voicing out, “Did I make the right decision?”

 

####

I tried to puff some cigarette. I am never into smoking but from the incident, I am urged to do so. However, when I am about to light the cigarette, the most annoying fingers stopped me.

 

“Hyung!” I wailed like a kid.

“You’re too hard on her. It’s just an interview.”  

 

I eyed Seunghyun. And the guy who stopped me from smoking is puffing the thing I’m supposed to be enjoying. Really!

 

He let some smoke out from his mouth then coldly muttered, “I’ll let you go this time. But my fist might land on your pretty face if you do it again.”

“Is it a warning?” I asked not needing an answer. His face shows it, he is grim.

“You’re too sensitive. Give my girl a break.” he puffed the smoke gave me a light punch on my shoulder. “A man doesn’t make a lady cry.”

 

My girl. My girl. As much as I don’t want those words to linger on my mind, it just keeps on repeating as if I’m playing a faulty CD. I sighed. “Did I?”

 

He just stared at me. “She said you know her? Do you really?” his tone is serious.

“I guess.”

He stayed silent for a moment. Deep in his thought. “Don’t make her remember those years back.”

“Why?”

“She doesn’t want to.”

 

I smirked at that. “Yeah. How about her friends?”

“You’re asking too much. Are you that close for you to react like that? Her not remembering you?” he eyed me.

“No. Were just classmates.” I shrugged.

“It’s a relief then.” He blows some cigarette then added, “She doesn’t remember anything that happened six years back. And she don’t intend to. I don’t know the whole story but they say she got a hell of a hard time back then, so no one ever mention those things to her. For her to live anew.”

 

I bit my lips.  I know, it was really not a good past. But something more bothered me. But I can’t name it yet.

“You got it hard huh, hyung.”

 

He looked at me. A tinge of red crept on his face. “Yah! I still don’t forgive you.” He throws the cigarette on the ground and stepped on it.

 

He turned his back on me then left. While he take a step away from me, I heard him say “You bet.”