Seven

Puzzle Pieces (Unfortunate Events Sequel)

 

She loves the way he looks at her. His brown eyes, they are taunting but to her, his gaze felt comfortable, like she is protected. Just like how she felt safe with the way the guy with the most mesmerizing eyes looks at her. She shook her head. She has been comparing them again. Him and the guy with the most mesmerizing brown eyes.

 

When she first saw him, her impression was that he is so arrogant. Cool and brusque. But then his frequent visit around her made her change her thought about him. After a long time, another presence made her safe and comfortable again. Long after the guy with mesmerizing eyes left her...

 

Years before, she’s been a living dead. It was with the help of the guy with most mesmerizing eyes that she came back to life. Pieces of her memory are scattered. She remembers some only they were vague. It was told to her that her teenage years were difficult and tragic. That’s when she and the guy with mesmerizing dark eyes decided that she won’t try to remember them. And that she’ll live anew. And she did. Thanks to him.

 

When everything falls into the right places again, he left. He said it won’t take a long time but then he never came back since then. That’s when he, her now personal tissue came crushing into her life. He knew. She confided in him. And he knew... that friendship is all that she can offer. But then he was so stubborn and persistent so she gave up. They are friends. Best of friends.

 

However, the past days, she felt guilty. She felt that she is using him. She felt scared that he is hurting a lot because of her. So she decided to keep distance.  Yet by doing so, he became a mess.

 

“Morning!” he greeted her. He is already seated at the table along with her family; Bom, her mother and father. She smiled.

 

“Tabi.” she almost whispered before joining them.  

 

In her thought, she’s battling whether she made the right decision to keep him as a friend knowing his feelings for her. Looking how happy he is, she decided that it’s the right thing.

 

####

 

It is as if nothing happened. She is here again. Playing with Seunghyun. And Seunghyun is less grumpy again. His usual self. I don’t know if I should be happy. But my true feelings....

 

“Hyung!” it was Seungri.

“Hmm?” I asked puzzled.

“Aish! Answer you’re phone or whatever.” he wailed like an ajumma.

 

That’s when I realize that my phone is ringing. And the caller... the person I should be thinking of not the person I’ve been secretly watching.

 

“Hello.” I answered the phone.

“Jiyongssi” she answered back.

“Jiyongssi? I’m hurt.” I feigned sadness.

Just like before it’s the same Yoona. Sweet and thoughtful. I don’t know but I still feel empty.