Sixteen

Puzzle Pieces (Unfortunate Events Sequel)

 

Last night, she has been dreaming that Jiyong did not let go of her hand. She felt so light. Somehow she is elated. But then when she wakes up it’s not Jiyong who’s holding her hand firmly. It’s Jaejoong.

 

She has waited for Jaejoong for a long time. But she doesn’t know what to feel for him anymore. If she still loves him or maybe she never had. Because if she ever really did, then why could else is she disappointed that he is the one who is holding on to her and not Jiyong. Is it still him all this time? Or that maybe being Sandy made her forget too.

 

Again, she is in that same room. The place that locked her away from the world. However, this time amnesia can’t erase that painful reality. She can’t run away from it anymore. She is a murderer. She is a nuisance. And no one is going to love her, just because she is herself, it’s all just pity. Maybe even Jaejoong. Once she gets her senses back, he will leave again. Or even Jiyong, he is just there because of guilt. Ah In and Seunghyun too. They will also leave. And once they are all gone, she will be alone again. She is thinking that this is what her punishment is, for killing her friends, for killing Mr. Lee. For making everyone’s life around her miserable.

 

She wanted to scream just like what she used to do whenever she can’t contain it anymore. But looking at Jaejoong, peacefully sleeping, she held herself back. She closed her eyes and let her tears escape from her eyes.

 

Jaejoong moved and woke up as soon as he felt her tears on his face. He wiped her tears away. And then he gave her that assuring hug she once knew. It’s just that it’s not that warm anymore. Or is it that it’s another hug that she wanted. “Don’t be too hard on yourself.” she heard him whisper.