Ten

Puzzle Pieces (Unfortunate Events Sequel)

 

The place felt strangely familiar. She knew she hasn’t been in that place before. But her guts tell her the opposite. She is scared. And then more than the tension she feels for Jiyong mainly because of the kiss and the foreign feeling of fondness towards him, she felt that somehow he has been in her clouded memories. Everything is vague. The answers to her questions are also uncertain. Mostly because she never dared to ask. Then she felt scared. 

 

She shook all her fears away. She tries to focus on her job, on her purpose of visit. However, piece by piece, her old fears and wound starts crawling back her.

 

 

 

 

 

####

 

 

 

 

 

Her hair is dancing with the wind. I can’t help but be awed at her loveliness. She took picture from every corner of the place. All I do is follow her, also bring some of her things.

 

 

 

 

 

However, she seemed restless. Her uneasiness became evident since we strolled around the village, and now it is more obvious maybe because we are at the cemetery.  

 

 

 

“Wanna take a break?” I offered.

 

 

“You’re tired?”

“How about you?”

“Okay then. Maybe we are both tired.”

 

We unconsciously sat near Mr. Lee’s grave. She flinched a bit noticing it.

 

 

 

 

 

“Why?” I asked concerned.

 

 

 

She looked at the grave. I can feel that she don’t feel alright so I asked her again, “Wanna take another place to rest?”

 

 

She forced a smile. “Strange...” she commented.

“Lately, this place, this very grave.... it’s the spot where I sat or ask for help in my nightmare. Even before, even before my medication...” she added.

“If you’re scared, then maybe we should go...”

“I’m fine. You know, I am curious too.” she looked at the ground then looked at me, “I remember, you said you know me... you even called me Dara.. was it..” she trailed off looking back at Mr. Lee’s grave.

“Yeah.” I answered.

“Strange.”   

She dusted off her pants and helped herself get up. Without looking at me she coldly stated, “Sorry, I’m curious myself too but, I don’t have the courage to know just yet. I bet Seunghyun talked you about it during the interview.”

 

I didn’t answer.

 

 

 

 

 

“Wanna fly a kite?”

 

 

 

I just nodded. We made a kite in silent. We flew it in silent too.

 

 

 

“Ah, I remember... you said about you wanting to be a singer in a cemetery with your best friend... is it here?”  she tried striking another conversation while tying the string that attaches the kite to her to a tall grass.

 

 

 

“Ah yes... it’s here. Near here, there is a big and pretty mausoleum.”

 

 

 

We sat in silence again. We watched the kites as they try to follow the rhythm the wind is making. The scene is just calming. I tried to look at her and she seemed to be really unease. I wanted to ask her or comfort her but then I decided that maybe I shouldn’t.

 

 

 

 

 

“Sorry for troubling you.”

 

 

 

“It’s okay. I’m not busy and you are my friend’s girlfriend.” I blurted.

 

 

“Girlfriend.” she chuckled a bit. “Is that what Seunghyun said.”

I watched her expression. I feel a bit irritated. I mean isn’t it obvious that Seunghyun have feelings for her, or maybe she is playing with him. I clenched my fist and looked at the kite again. “He did not. But it’s obvious... the two of you.”

“Seunghyun is a friend.”

“Friend? He cares for you a lot.”

“Yeah. Tabi...” she trailed off. “He cares a lot. But I can’t be his girlfriend, he knows it.”

“Can’t be?”

She did not answer. Instead she stood up. She looked at the flowers I have been carrying around. “I’ve been thinking, maybe you brought that flowers to visit a grave too?”

“Yeah.” I answered. I know she wanted to avoid the question. She is cold. Mysterious. I don’t know anymore.

 

We moved just a bit from Mr. Lee’s grave to Yeon Hee’s. I placed one of the flowers at Yeon Hee’s grave. I felt Dara tense. Her eyes are wet.

 

 

 

“You remember?” it was on impulse.

 

 

She looked at me. Scared. Puzzled. I can’t read her. Then somehow, she is trembling.

“I don’t know.” she answered. She closed her eyes trying to calm herself. She looked really pale. I wrapped my arms around her. Her trembling, it’s really bad. I soothed her. “It’s okay.” I whispered.

“Can we go to another place?” she weakly mumbled.

 

I helped her walk. I am irking to ask but I refrained myself. We took a rest near a large old tree. I let her lean on its trunk.

 

 

 

“Sorry.” she mumbled.

 

 

“Are you okay now?”

“A bit.”

I studied her. She looked really pale. She caught me staring. “Am I weird?” she asked.  

“No. It’s just that...”I hesitated. “Can I ask?”

“Maybe.”  

“You know. Your memory, what happened?”

“That... it’s blurred. They say it’s like me protecting myself.”

“Amnesia?”

“You can say that. But it’s not because I banged my head or something, they say it’s due to trauma.” she attempted to lighten the mood.

I just looked at her. “Just now you remembered? I mean you..”

“My tears? I don’t know either myself, I just felt scared.”

“Ah.. that, Yeon Hee, she is one on our...”

She closed hear ears with her hands and made some unnecessary noise.

“Please.” she begged. “I... I don’t know, I don’t want to know. Sorry.”

“I understand. Sorry.” I silently replied.

 

After a while she calmed down. The atmosphere is really awkward. And the silence is deafening. I tried to speak but I felt myself unwilling to voice out anything anymore.  

 

 

 

 

 

“That. The morgue, can you show me where it is?” she spoke first.

 

 

 

“You sure you’re okay now?”

 

 

“Yeah.” she assured me.

“Maybe not the morgue, you see... it’s also...” I looked at her worried and also confused.

“Ah”