A Kiss is a Spell

He's The Guy I Want, The One I Can't Have

 

“Where is Hana?” Dr. Lee asked Dr. Han when she arrived in the hospital.

“Calm down. She is fine now. We’re just conducting an ECG and echocardiogram to be sure. It was a minor attack.”

“What happened to her? I thought she was already fine?”

“We all thought that she was. But there are certain events we can’t predict.” Dr. Han stood up. “I think it’s time for you to tell her.”

“It will be bad for her.” Dr. Lee argued.

“At least she’ll know what to do whenever she feels something.”

-----------------

Minho was walking his way to the cardiology department. “Why is she here?”

He stopped in front of the examination room, its walls were half glass but there were curtains blocking the view from the inside. It was almost midnight yet he’s still there.

A nurse came in with a clipboard walking inside the room. Minho waits for a little bit longer until there were male nurses opening the doors and a stretcher being pushed out of the examination room. “Proceed to room 307, this instruction was given by Dr. Lee.”

“She was luckier this time that she’s already in the hospital.” Minho heard the other nurses talking. He looks at them and they saw him, quickly they went inside the examination room.

Minho tried asking other nurses who went inside the room about Hana’s condition but they kept silent. Things regarding the condition of a patient is highly confidential. But looking at the placard of the exam room, it’s clearly for cardio patients, which means, Hana is seriously ill.

-----------------

Minho’s eyes were puffy the next day. Key and Heerin asked him what happened but he just shrugs it off telling them that he stayed up late to watch movies.

“How is she?” Key asked Heerin. They were having lunch.

“Last night… it was another mild myocardial infarction. You know? We just can’t stay calm and sit, although mom told us not to go.”

Minho came and sat across them. “Heerin, I need to ask you a question and you better give me an honest answer.”

Key shot a glare at Minho. “Yah, what are you up to? Can’t you ask in a nicer way? You’re scaring her.”

“What is it?” Heerin asked.

“Tell me… is Hana seriously ill?”

This question startled both Heerin and Key. “No, of course not.” Heerin denied. “Hana is perfectly fine. She just have a weak immune system, she has asthma too.”

“Really?” Minho asked sternly.

“Yah, she’s the sister, don’t you believe Heerin?” Key butts in. “Minho, I know that you care about Hana, it confuses you.”

“I was at the hospital last night.” Minho confessed. Heerin looked at Key. “So I know about what happened to her last night.”

“Minho, I appreciate how much do you care about my sister, but going that far is way too much. You want the truth? I’ll give you the truth. Hana can’t afford to handle too much emotion. You know why?” Key was holding Heerin’s arm. “Because she has heart defect. Happy now?” Heerin sarcastically asked. She stood up and left the cafeteria, leaving Minho and Key.

Key shakes his head in disbelief. “I don’t even know why you want to know what Hana’s condition is. Even if Heerin will tell the whole world about Hana’s condition, nobody can do anything about it.” Key left Minho and followed Heerin out.

-----------------

“Hi honey!” Dr. Lee went inside Hana’s room. A nurse was taking Hana’s blood pressure and temperature. “How are you? Have you drunk your medicines?”

Hana grinned. “I’m fine, mom, yes I did.” The nurse finished checking her up, telling Dr. Lee that Hana has a slight fever and leaving them. “Mom, when am I going home?” Hana suddenly asked.

“Honey, you need to stay here for about three more days.”

“Why?” Hana asked again.

Before Dr. Lee could respond, a knock was heard on the door. It slides open.

“Dad!” Hana called. It was Mr. Hwang. He just came home straight from a business trip overseas.

“Hi baby. How are you? Haven’t I told you to take care of yourself while daddy is gone?” Mr. Hwang scolded.

“I know. I’m sorry.” Hana sheepishly said.

Dr. Lee and Mr. Hwang sat beside Hana on her hospital bed. “Honey, mom and dad has to tell you something.”

Hana looked at her mom and dad. “It sounds really serious. What is it?”

“Hana… you need to take care of yourself better from now on.” Dr. Lee started. Hana looked rather confused. “The reason that you are here in the hospital is because… Hana, it was heart attack.”

What?

“Hana, listen to daddy, okay. Your heart… it’s not in great shape, you have a weak heart, Hana.” Mr. Hwang tries to explain.

“I don’t understand you.” Hana said.

Dr. Lee held Hana’s hands. “Baby, the day you were born, you were diagnosed with heart disease.” She said in a trembling voice.

Hana’s face was expressionless. She then forced a smile. “No wonder I have a weak body.” She grins. “Don’t worry mom, dad, I’ll take care of myself better from now on.”

Her mom and dad can only look at her in pity. “Hana…”

“I feel sleepy. Can I sleep first, mom, dad?” She asked. Her parents gladly agree.

Dr. Lee and Mr. Hwang went out of Hana’s room first, letting her get a full rest, but inside the room, Hana was lying on the bed staring at nowhere, unconsciously, her tears began to fall one after the other.

-----------------

Jonghun went to visit Hana in the hospital. Hana was awake reading a book when he arrived.

“Hana~”

Hana tried to put on a lively expression because it’s Jonghun. “Oppa… you’re here again?” Hana asked laughing lightly.

“Of course.” Jonghun sets the basket of fruits near the pantry. “I brought fruits. What do you want?”

“Tangerines please.” Hana answered looking back at the book again and shutting it close, setting it on the side table.

Jonghun grins at Hana’s choice. “Of course, tangerine is your favorite. Why do I even bother asking?” He asked aloud.

Hana laughs at him. “Yah oppa, ppalli…” Jonghun sat beside her bringing three tangerines with him, peeling one. “Oppa, what did you do overseas when you were away?” Hana suddenly asked.

“Me?” Jonghun looked at her, seeing Hana nodding. “I went to study at this music university. That’s all, I became busy with it so I can’t e-mail and call you often.” Jonghun feels sorry.

Hana nodded. “Yes you were so busy, so I have a new best friend now.” Hana proudly said. “I’m replacing you already, oppa.” She grins.

“With?” Jonghun sounded jealous.

“Luna…”

“Luna? The short girl?” Jonghun asked.

“Oppa! That’s mean.”

Jonghun shakes his head left and right. “I’m only saying the truth. But… doesn’t she like Hyungsik?”

“Who? Luna?” Jonghun nodded. “Of course not. She hasn’t told me about it.”

“Of course she wouldn’t. Hyungsik likes you. I visited school earlier, and I heard from the other girls…” Pertaining to Hana’s other friends, “that you came one time in class with cuts in your hand. What was that about?”

Hana made a blowfish face shaking her head left and right. “That’s nothing oppa. I was rushing to class and everything happened so sudden, I held at this something with blades on it.”

Jonghun looks at her. “Are you sure?” Hana nods. “You’re lying aren’t you?”

Hana grins. “How did you know?” She laughs. “But oppa, don’t ask about it, since it’s not a big deal… really.” Hana assured.

-----------------

Minho was in practice, so as Heerin. Key was there too to watch and wait for Heerin to finish practice. They will also visit Hana after.

Everybody was warming up when Minho walked up to Heerin who was stretching. “Hey, are you still mad?” Minho asked. Heerin ignored him like he didn’t say anything. “Heerin.”

Heerin looked at him with stoic face. “I’m not mad.”

“Then why the expression?”

“It’s expressionless.”

“If you’re not mad, then what?”

“Honestly, you irritate me right now.” Heerin sarcastically said forcing a grin. “And we’re on practice. Can we talk later?”

Minho nodded. “Sure.” He was about to walk away when he turned back again. “Heerin, can I come to the hospital later?”

Heerin stared at him. “Okay, but I have to remind you Hyungsik will be there, Jonghun oppa is there, and Hami is going to be there too.”

“It’s fine.”

“Okay then.”

-----------------

Hana was in the hospital grounds, in the garden area, after pleading Jonghun a dozen times and agrees on one condition, if Hana will use the wheelchair, which she agrees to, just to get herself out of the hospital room. Jonghun left to fetch a wheelchair and to stop by Dr. Lee’s office to ask for permission which she gladly gave.

Seeing Jonghun back, Dr. Lee was at ease again. Hana only opened herself to one person who isn’t related to them by blood, and that was Jonghun. Even Luna, Hana never opened herself to her, not even 50% of the real her.

“Finally!” Hana squealed in delight. “I’m getting tired of seeing those white walls in that room.” She complained to Jonghun.

Jonghun chuckled hearing Hana complain. “Yah, you’re like a little kid.” He pushes the wheelchair, stopping on a bench. “Let’s stay here for a moment.”

Hana nodded. She stays seated in her wheelchair facing Jonghun. She just looked at Jonghun, smiling then looking at somewhere else.

Jonghun is at it again, playing the staring game with Hana which he loves the most. “Why are you looking at me like that?” Hana shrugs at him, still smiling. “You know… I want to give you something right now, but you might hate me.”

Hana pouted. “Why? What is it? You know I can’t hate you.”

“But it’s embarrassing.”

“Should I close my eyes then?” Hana suggested.

Jonghun remained silent for a few seconds. “Okay.” He agreed.

-----------------

After soccer practice, Key, Heerin, Minho, and Hami went to the hospital together, taking a taxi with Minho sitting in the passenger’s seat.

Hami was wondering why Minho went with them since Minho never knew Hana until yesterday but she didn’t bother voicing it out, completely unlike her.

Heerin and Key don’t care anymore about what Minho wants to do.

Soon, they arrived in the hospital, they went straightly to Hana’s room, but the bed was neatly made, and no one was there. Heerin went to their mom’s office to ask their mom about Hana. Dr. Lee informed her that Jonghun took her out to the garden.

Heerin grinned. “Why am I not surprised that Jonghun oppa is here?” She asked their mom.

They dropped their things in the room, except Minho and went to look for Jonghun and Hana with Hami leading the way; she was about a dozen steps ahead of the three. Just when she died in her tracks with her hand on her chin.

“Daebak…” She uttered. She called for the three to hurry and see what she saw.

There they were, Hana and Jonghun. Jonghun was kneeling on the bricked floor, cupping Hana’s face, kissing her.

Heerin and Key looked at Minho to find him looking on the ground.

“I can’t believe that I’m seeing this with my own two eyes.” Hami commented.

“I think I have to go. I’m having dinner with my family tonight, I need to go.” Minho said and turns to walk his way out of there, where he can see them, Hana with Jonghun.

‘It’s too much… too much that I think I can’t handle it anymore. I know you’ll say I’m dumb, yes I am, but to tell you the truth… I know when to give up.’

“We should just wait for them in Hana’s room; it will be uncomfortable if they see us watching them kissing, right?” Key asked.

Hami and Heerin nooded, taking a last look at Hana and Jonghun.

-----------------

Jonghun pulled away, looking at Hana’s face; shock, expressionless. That’s basically it. Hana looked at Jonghun who has a worried face on. Hana suddenly gasped covering her lips with her two hands.

Jonghun can’t help but laughed at her, accompanied by a kiss on her forehead.

-----------------

So, so, so... I can't leave replies right now because of a busy and tiring day. I'll be graduating from the Uni this thursday so yay for me, I'll leave the replies as soon as I can...^^