His BFF

Dear Friend,

 

I just arrived home from practice near the house of one of my teammates Jeongyeon. Amber, Chaeyeon and Jeongyeon are all sophomores and had entered the team last summer, funny because all of us sport the same haircut as well. The truth is I’m a little tired coming from extreme training and it’s so happened to be Thursday so it means club meeting day. I have two clubs, sports and Book Lovers. Don’t get me wrong I don’t LOVE books per say. It’s just that the library was conveniently located near me who was at that time still not sure if I’ll enter the basketball team. I need to sign up for a club that day so I just walk through the door. I like it there, it’s quiet and peaceful the only downside are the workloads we have every week but the Librarian gives out generous grades so I stayed.


“Your boyfriend called like five times already.” Nanny Hyo said as she take my things.


“He’s not my boyfriend.” I said a little irritated on how many times I have to remind her that Sehun is nothing but a friend to me. She just gives me an unimpressed look.


I’m exhausted and hungry but I figure it must be important so I dial his number.


“Sup?” I said as I sit down. The phone was placed on a coffee table, I’ve been carving out his number in the wood mindlessly for the past year. I wasn’t truly aware about it until now.


“What took you?” he said and I ran my fingers with the engravings ive done. It’s not smooth or even some numbers are different sizes and shapes. My mom will strangle me if she sees her precious mahogany table was ravaged.


“I was out practice and doing library duties.” I said and I wonder I only have two clubs Sehun has three, YFM, student council and Peers how come he’s not busy as busy?


But then he answers my question why he’s having free time and our topic leads to his date earlier with Jinri.


“So do you have anything to tell me?” he asked after our serious discussion about Jinri’s favourite desert.


“Haven’t I always told you things? What’s the use of talking every night?” I deadpan


“Oh, you know recent events… task given…” he insists


“Well, earlier Baekhyun got caught sneaking in fireworks in the wet laboratory; through a series of interrogation it was found out the supplier is none other than your troll friend Jongdae.” I recount the latest  happening inside the campus.


“What do I even expect from you?” he sigh.


Of course I know exactly what he’s talking about. Recently our teacher in Livelihood Education subject wants us to write a diary about our ‘male best fried’ inside the campus. Livelihood education/housekeeping a.k.a ‘house wife and a career woman in one’ for girls during the first semester and Work Ed a.k.a ‘story of an underpaid overworked labourer’ for boys then for second semester we interchange. All the boys of the same level take the subject all together, same with the girls just like P.E class. But we have different room locations and topics. Lots of girls protested because not all the girls have someone they can call BBF or boy best friend. But my teacher is persistent. She said it’ll be a good opportunity for all of us, at the same time it was her goal to give female an in-depth idea of what’s it like to be friend with the opposite . If I could I would have raised my hand heroically and tell her it wasn’t that much exciting and thrilling as it seems. But I’m just a lowly and ordinary frog so I stay put and listen to my comrades’ outcry of injustice. That moment i can only think of one person who’ll be fitting the label.


“So why? Just tell me what it is.” I demand


“Of course I’ll be the one to tell you.” he said dryly. “This past two days there are a few girls” I snort at the word few “who would come to me asking if I could be their best friend.” he recount. I’m actually planning to ask him formally at the end of the week just to be a hundered and one percent sure. 


“And what did you say!” I said eyebrow twitching in anticipation for his answer.

 

“I said, I think someone’s already writing about my simple and plain life.” not to mention boring… I wanted to add.


“Why do you sound unsure?” I said accusingly


“That’s why I’m asking, should I be certain?” he said voice cracking a at the end.


“Who else would I write?” I said but I’m laughing because his voice cracks. Puberty is sure hitting us little by little. Like right now I’m having my period. ugh.


“Who knows? Little do I know your also talking with someone else as soon as I hanged the phone?” is he accusing me now?


“Okay stop. We might end up crying reminiscing about our oh so special friendship. Yuck!” I said in disgust


He just laugh.


“Wait a minute...” I said as I realize something “Why are they telling you this? You’re not supposed to know. It supposed to be a secret!” I complain to him.


“They said so. They even said it’s a win-win situation because next sem we’ll be that one to do a dairy about you girls.” he said because on the next half year they will cook and clean while we deal with saw and tools. I just wish I won’t lose a finger.


“I really should report them to Ms. so that this stupid project will be cancelled altogether.” I said bitterly.


“So you better do a good job praising me on your writing. And if I recall correctly you do have some talent in on the spot narration. ” he said to me half joking.


“The teacher asks us to write about what happened everyday it’s not like I’m writing a play about your non-existent and totally unexciting social life. Yeah I’m downright excited. ” I deadpan.


“I’m feeling your enthusiasm even here. What a best friend you are!” He said sarcastically “Such a pity, even Seolhyun asked me if I could be her best friend.” he said regretfully but I feel like he’s smiling on the other end. Seolhyun is arguably the prettiest girl in the sophomore. That’s their opinion Jinri for me! But Seolhyun is a bit slow. so…


“Then go ahead. Call her. Be BFF! Goodbye! Live a long life” I snap ready to hang the phone.


“It’s just a joke!” then he laugh heartily. “Of course I’ll still go to the one who knew me and understand me. I’m all yours.” even over the phone I can feel his sincerity. This is a rare moment for the like of us. I immediately change the topic coz I’m not good doing sentimental talk and drama-lama.

 

 

 

 


Understand the most? Are you sure?