Names

Dear Friend,

That’s where it all started. A simple telephone call. Do you still remember?

 

 

 

 

 

When I was about to head upstairs to rest I saw our telephone lying innocently on our coffee table. Since it was located near our staircase away from our living room. When I look at the grand father’s clock I realize that its just 8’o’clock. My brother called earlier so I don’t have to worry about it. I picked up my bag that I put there earlier and retrieve the note to dial the numbers.


“Hello?” said the one on the other line. His voice is colder compared in person.


“Who’s this?” he asked.


“Me! Your worst nightmare!” I said in a playfully tone, I’m in such a good mood after my phone call with my brother. He said that if I make it to the basketball team he’ll send me new basketball shoes. My brother always supported my chosen craft.


“Ah! Jung SooJung! I thought you already forgot. I was actually waiting for your call” He said, like did he really need to say my whole name?!


“Krystal. Call me Krystal! In capital K!” I corrected. “And sorry I almost forgot.” I said playing with the piece of paper he had given me where his number is scribbled haphazardly.


“It’s alright. Why Krystal?” he asked curiously.


“Because that’s my English name.” I said like it’s the most obvious thing.


“Did you just decide upon that? Maybe I should get an English name as well.” he ponders over the line.


“I was born in San Francisco. That’s why I have an English name.” I explained “Why? Is there any name you like?” I explained how I get the name. As I put down the paper and picked up my pen.


“Hmm… I thinking maybe Willis?” he said sounding serious.


“Buhahaha” I laugh uncontrollably. This guy has no taste at all. Willis? Is that the best he can think of?


“What?” he said sound offended by my reaction?


“Nothing. Oh Willis? really? Of all names you pick that? So unoriginal! Why don’t we get you a French name instead?” I suggest still laughing at his odd choice.


“Huh?”


“How about Urspin Dirlsnze Vevirn Angmuishunh” I blurted although I had no idea where it came from. Maybe because we’ve been singing Champs Elysees for the entire week now and the fact that we’re required to memorize that darn French song by the end of the first semester.


“What?” he said chuckling softly. “What did you just baptized me with?” I can’t imagine him laughing he’s so stoic and blank in school. He rarely gives out any reaction to think he’s sitting beside the class clown, or should I say troll.


“It’s French. I think it suits you.” I said convincing him it sound French right? The only French I’m friends with is fries.


“Whatever , but be sure to write that down.” I can feel in his tone that his rolling his eyes over wherever he is.


“Sure, as long as you’ll wear it as your name tag in class.” I retort.


“Seriously…” he let out a small laugh the said “you’re not as bad as I thought you will be.” he honestly reply.


“What? Why?” I said voice raising a little. Did he ask about me? Well I’m not surprised I’m not the brightest or friendliest person around.


“Jongdae warned me about you.” He said. I anticipated this somehow.


“And what did your stupid of a troll seatmate said about me?” I asked as I twirl my pen. He laugh. Jongdae was my classmate when we were in 4th to 6th grade. We’re good, not exactly close friends but we joked around each other.


“That you speak like that. Blunt. Harsh but true. Doesn’t give a damn about anything at all. And… he said you breathe fire every now and then.” he said still laughing lightly.

I’m not offended at all. I know that all too well. I’m not your average good girl. People’s first impressions of me are snub, snappy and cold because of my blank face.


“Oh did he mention I also eat human for breakfast? Tell him next time I’m going for his head!” I deadpan he laugh. Truthfully if we’re to open Jongdae’s head there’s nothing substantial in there.


I feel like our conversation is drifting somewhere else and frankly I didn’t call to share gossip with him.


“Anyway, let’s not gravitate too much on my breakfast. How’s going with the report?” I started.


“I already finished making the outline”


“Ok” is all I said as I turn our English book for our report.


“The thing is I’m having a problem about-“ we talked about the report itself then distribution and arrangement among the members. After our brainstorming we talk about our classmates, happenings inside the classroom and other mundane stuff. I didn’t even realize it was past my bedtime until my nanny said so urging me to go to bed.

We received the highest score for our presentation to Sehun’s delight. And that evening he called again. I didn’t really remember much about what we talked about. But I remember after putting down the phone I still haven’t asked him if he has a Mobile phone. Oh well.

 

 

 

 

 

After the report I never really expected him to call again. But he did. It became a routine since then. It’s funny when I think about it. We never ran out of things to talk about. Our conversations always seem to flow easily jumping from one thing that leads to another but really senseless and unimportant. Inside the campus we never talked at all. We never even spare each other a glance. As weird as it sound it’s how we are.