Epiphany

Dear Friend,

 

One day I wake up and have this epiphany… just kidding. Nothing of unnatural manifestation happened. Maybe this is brought about by changing factors, like hormone, menstrual cycle, growing up, puberty, maturity, I’m really not sure. Just that I realize that time waits for no one. My brother in the state is working as an engineer while my sister Jess is also an engineer working here. My sister said she’s already working on her papers to work in the US. How about me? What do I want? Yes there are always my parents but someday I want to stand on my own, do what I like and enjoy while earning. So with a new found motivation and objective I decided to work harder, be  a little more serious and responsible.


For Third year Sehun and I were classmates again. Not that I’m worried or excited. We survive separation in the last year so there’s nothing more to expect or anticipate.


My classmates are alright in general but most of them are alpha rose. It feels like first year all over again. I feel like someone intentionally gathered them all in my section. I was in good terms with Rose but with Hyuna and her squad… no comment.


Just first week and we had loads of stuff to do. I feel like the teachers are testing us and pushing us at our limits giving this much workload. So much for my vision of the future. huh.

 

 

xoxo

 

 


Like the first two years of my high school life I decided to retain in Book Lover’s Club. I just don’t feel like going around campus looking for one when I already have one anyway. Besides I know the librarian and most of the former members do stay at the club. Most students evade being a book lover coz of the duty we have every month and even during exams. But I seriously like it here, there’s peace harmony and perks being a member of the club.


Right now I’m assigned to be in-charge along with an old member Yuju who’s a 2nd year.


“Krystal come here please.” I was called by the librarian Ms. Hong. She’s also our club moderator. She knew me very well since I’m an officer last year and this year again. I dunno how it all happened.


“Kindy place this books to their proper shelves. Just check around if there some books that are still astray from their proper places.” she command.


“Yes miss.” I said politely. I’m happy with the grades she’s giving me for my extracurricular.


“I need to see our school directress, Sister Izza now. If ever the club president Hongbin come here, please tell him I need to have a word with him later today.” she said.


“I’ll tell him Miss.” I said.


As soon as she left I continue what I doing when I heard Yuju softly calling my name.
 

“Krystal, someone is sleeping over the Geography section” she said pointing at the huge bookshelves, that conceal the Geography section. I was wondering why she is whispering too softly when there’s not much around. Rush phase usually happen near the end of the school year where the library seems more like a market rather a place to study.


“Go wake him up, ask him if he needs coffee or pillows.” I said going back to the books I have.


“But I don’t want too. I don’t know who he is. I saw his library card it has red lines in it so he’s a junior.” I look at her and she looks back at me with puppy eyes. You know, the kind that’s asking for a punch.


“I’ll just do this; you go and take care of him since you’re on the same year.” she said completely dismissing me.


Before I go to where the sleeping boy is I snatch the bell that the librarian used to call the attention of the students. Let’s see. This is the library a sacred place that’s full of knowledge and wisdom. That’s what they say.


There’s only one person there. It seems as if he’s hiding here. Not a lot of students come in this place, there’s only one square table and the lighting . They have the archive if they want to be hidden and undisturbed most of the time though.


The boy head is resting on an open book. He’s face is on the other direction. There are tons of books and magazines sprawled in the table. Yuju said he’s a third year but I don’t think I know this one.


I ready my bell on top of his ear when he turn his head to me dramatically. Then he stares at me. I freeze. He sit up then slowly he raise both his hands and yawn. He look at me again.


“Do you like to read?” he ask me. I wanted to turn around to make sure he’s really talking to me.


“huh?”I said dumbly. He lift the books and under it hid a lot of gold, I mean comics! Manga!!!


“These are all yours?” I said I could feel my eyes widening because of the treasures in front of me. Manga and comics cost a lot especially since it came from other countries. I do have some of my favourite series like Slum Dunk, GTS, Aouran and Gundam series. So I knew how hard it is to collect comics.


Instead of answering he lift his hand to hand me a manga.


“Here, I’m sure you’ll like this one.” oh wow, his voice has a thick accent in it.


I take the manga and the title read Kuroko’s Basketball.


I knew about it, I heard it but I didn’t actually like the unrealistic details in it so I never invested time and effort watching exaggerated sport anime like Kuruko’s especially because it’s basketball.


“Thank you” I said timidly. He didn’t say anything afterwards he just continue reading.
I grew up watching all sort of anime. Who doesn’t? But how did he know I would like it? Did he know I play basketball?

 

This is the start of an unlikely stalking friendship.


He didn’t introduce himself but all of his mangas has his name plastered all over it. It read; Real property of Zhang “Lay” Yixing with his address, email address and mobile number. So how can you lost those comics when half of it is covered with his profile.
On Tuesday I went to the library to check the new arrivals of books that needs to be recorded. As a vice president it was one of my responsibilities. Out of curiosity I grace the Geo section. Surprise, surprise he was there. I sat across him and without saying a word he push the next volume of Kuroko’s Basketball manga in front of me.

Whenever I’m in the library my feet went auto pilot and carry me to the Geo section. One time when I check his favourite spot he was blissfully sleeping. I went closer to see him in his natural state. When suddenly he rouses all of sudden that I stumble back, my hitting the hard floor. But instead of feeling the pain on my bum I saw him looking down at me with an expression I haven’t seen him yet. He’s smiling, his dimple flashing cutely on his cheek. Oh whoa, I didn’t know he’s capable of other emotion. I stood up feeling slightly embarrass but he didn’t laugh instead he hand me another Kuroku manga.


Days went by, our secret ritual continues.

 

 

xoxo

 

 


My feet feel light as I step inside the holy place of book fanatics.


“Krystal? I don’t think you’re on duty this week?” comes Hongbin’s greeting. Hongbin is the president of book lovers club.


“Oh, I was just here to check out some stuff” I said to him. But that’s not the real reason of my visit.

 

 “Don’t you have more important things to do? I saw the junior officers on the field.” I said as I recall the shouting and running of the junior students when I was making my way here. He’s the corp. commander after all.


“My second is the one in charge this week. I’ve neglected my duty here far too long. Thanks to you I don’t have to worry much.” He said to me smiling. Whenever the president/corp. commander is here expect the influx of girls inside the library.


“It’s my responsibility so no need to thank me.” I said shrugging. I pick up the new copy of reader’s digest. Vic might want to borrow this one soon.


“Still, it might be tough on you, being an officer and star player.” He aims good naturedly.


“Are we playing the ‘who-has-the-harder-life’ here? You win hands down. You’re running for honours, president of Student body, member of YFM and corp. commander on top of it all.” I said as a matter of fact tone. Ms. Hong always tells me how she adore our president for being such a model student. Telling me to be more understanding whenever I have to shoulder his duties.


“Fine. But I can’t give the school that kind of glory, unlike you. What you did last Friday...” he said talking about the practice game we had last week.


“Oh please. It’s a team effort.” I said nonchalantly. Even if we won our practice game it doesn’t mean anything. Or maybe it does because we face against the current champion. But it’s still just a practice game doesn’t matter if we feed them dust for dinner.


“So you’re free today? No practice or anything?” He said scratching his nape. His ears are turning red. Is he cold?


“No, but I need to do something later.” I said then I remember the purpose of my visit.

 

“I see… so how about-“  he begins but one of the freshmen pile some books in front of him to check out.

 

“See you round” I said as I turn my back before he ask more question of my visit.


I was a little disappointed coz Lay wasn’t there. After that I went to my classroom to take my bag. I saw Sooyoung in front of their classroom. The saddest part of third year is that my awesome friends are all in different section. Luna is promoted to pilot or star section. While Victoria is in the neighbouring class. But we’re all still together every time we can. Usually sleep overs or after class when our schedule allows us.

 

“Are you going home?” I asked her. Since my epiphany I talk to my parents about commuting instead of having a driver like I used to.


“Yes, wait I’ll just get my things.” She said then I saw Lay exiting their classroom with a funny looking attaché case. What the?


I immediately face Sooyoung and pull her to the side.


“Joy, is he your classmate?” I whisper looking at Lay’s retreating back


“The wirdo transferee? You mean Lay?” Joy said knitting her eyebrows towards Lay.


“What?” I asked head snapping to face her.


“I dunno if I should be delighted or I should freak out that you actually look like you’re interested in my classmate.” Joy eyeing me suspiciously


“That’s not it.” I quickly shoot down her suspicions. “He spent a lot of time in the library and i thought he’s not really a junior since I never saw him once.” I said looking back at Lay.


“Oh, I see.” she said still eyeing me suspiciously. “He’s originally from China but they’re living here since he was in middle school. I think his father got transferred here in Seoul for work.” Joy face me eye to eye .

 

“Why do you look interested? Do you like him?” she said accusingly.


“NO!” I said so fast my head start to spin. But maybe… a little. I don’t know. He always lends me his precious mangas, he smells nice and I like the rare times he smiles, it seems authentic and sincere.


“You look so defensive… But I do advice to forget him. He’s plain weird.” Joy said making a disgusting face.


“Why do you say so? Aren’t we all weird in one way or the other?”


“In way yes, but his level of insanity is out of this world. How should I say this… it’s like he has his own world. it’s hard to explain. He’s weird in a freakish way period.” Joy explain vaguely


“Oh common don’t be judgmental.”


“You see, we’re been group mates in bible service every Monday. It’s been how many weeks, and not once has he utter a word, he’s so quite. Then just this Monday our leader has enough so he asked him, he can’t tear his gaze on the wall so we asked what he’s doing. You know what he said? He’s counting the fibber of the web. Oh My Gosh Krystal! There’s so much more! That guy has some weird obsession with walls I swear!” Joy said obviously gross out.


“Really?”


“Yup, weird in a creppy way.”


Maybe he’s not as bad as Sooyoung is claiming surely Sooyoung is just over reacting.