Signs

Dear Friend,

 

It’s been days since Sehun’s last phone call. I’m not sure when exactly it started but I’m sure we totally don’t have any communication this past few days. Even in practice I rarely see him. I didn’t put much thought to it because at least I know he’s still alive seeing him inside the classroom. It’s not a big deal for me anyway; I’m not his designated guardian so he doesn’t have any responsibilities to report everything to me. Maybe Sehun is also taking the toll being third year. When we’re still in second year we weren’t even classmates so this is just brought about by too much workload.

 

Morning

 

It was history and our teacher asked us to go by groups outside. We have these little huts, like mini sheds sprawled around school where students use for free time but mainly for grouping proposes.

 

“Alright, so I already highlight the topics per person. I’m going to distribute this and you have to do research ok?” I announced as the groups chosen leader. Ugh. My classmates keep choosing me as the leader. Then I proceed to give them their respective topics one by one.

 

I give a detailed explanation for Seungyeol. He’s a bit slow, very shy and timid. I explain his topic and asked him to come to the library later so I can give him some more references.

 

After that I’ll get back to my note.

 

“Wait there’s still one more” I ask no one in particular because I counted them yet there’s still one more topic left.

 

“Ah, Jiyoon is on the other hut.” Amber piped in so I look to where her gaze fell. Just next to our hut I could clearly hear Hyuna’s hyena laugh. Who let the cat out when she’s having her heat?

 

What kind of luck struck me? Why do I always end up with the same class as Hyuna? Her Mother was our teacher during freshmen year and she already knew the exam even before it comes out. How unfair!

 

“What is she doing there?” I asked Amber. But my stare shift to Sehun and Jeonghwa seating so close together while laughing.

 

 “Almost every member of Alpha Rose is there so I think they’re gathering or having a meeting?” Amber explains what I can clearly see. Well Rose isn’t there.

 

“So? This is still her group.” I said and look back up our not so quite neighbour. This time my sight fell on Hyelin. She’s the female counterpart of Seungyeol, only slower. She always attends summer classes and remedial. I saw her a lot during summer when I’m attending team practice inside the school. I’m not sure what’s happening on the other side but Hyuna and company seems to be enjoying and having a very good time while on the other hand Hyelin looks so down and about to cry. Then by some unknown force my eyes fell on Sehun and Jeonghwa again.

 

Something is off; I just can’t pinpoint what that is… I can’t tell if it’s the way Jeonghwa slap Sehun’s shoulder or the way Sehun lean into her to better understand what she’s whispering.

 

Suddenly Jongdae, the school’s annoying troll song bird started to sing with This I promised you, with modified lyrics.

 

When Lovers around you,

Bring tears to your eyes

And all that surrounds you,

Are secrets and lies

God give you strength

God’ll give you hope

keeping your faith

when it’s gone

The one you should ask

Is standing here all alone-

 

“What?” I said as I turn to face Chen when I forcefully tore away my gaze from the very noisy neighbouring group.

 

“The mood is just calling for a background music.~ ♫~” he hum happily.

 

“Huh?” I asked puzzled. Did he just sing to me that song?

 

“Remember Krystal turn to Him” he said pinging up “in times of trouble and hurt” he said. And it’s creeping me out, I want the real Jongdae not this turd.

 

“I think being in church choir is doing you some much needed miracles.” I told him. Although this is Jongdae we’re talking about even if we drown him in holy water he’ll still be the biggest troll.

 

“You think?” He said brows wiggling.

 

“Just tell Jiyoon we have a meeting tomorrow, and she better show up.” I told the group even they’re all looking out and I know I should blame the ungodly amount of noise that the adjacent group are making for capturing their attention. 

 

“We’ll discuss this piece by piece later.” and with that I give back my attention to Seungyeol.

 

 

 

 

 

That was the first sign. How dumb I was, not recognizing it the first time.