Playing Matchmaker

Dear Friend,

 

 

I was out shopping with my cousin Choi Jinri. Her grandfather and my grandmother were siblings. We’re the same age and we practically grew up together. We’re super comfortable with each other and time can’t measure our friendship. Ironically even though we’ve been on the same school since toddler years we’ve never been classmates. We’re total opposite of each other. While they say I’m stoic and cold while she’s bright and warm. She gives away smile like flyers toeveryone. She’s very girly, delicate and refine. Admittedly I’m not so much in touch with my feminine side.


We’re together shopping for school supplies for the upcoming School year. Lots of people came panic buying.


“Krystal look at this.” she said holding up a notebook with a cartoon character. Hello Kitty. Of course she liked it. Its pink and white. “I’m gonna get these. Would you like to get one too?” she offered smiling at me.


“Nope” I said dismissively. We’re really different with each other it’s a miracle we get along so well. But then again her patience to people is something I don’t have.


“Why, these are cute though?” she said pouting. Holding more notebook with different character and pastel colours.


I don’t like collision of colours like rainbow decide to puke on it and it’s all over the place, you don’t know where to look. I like solid colours and minimalism in almost everything. But Jinri really like vibrant colours, make-up (not that she needed it) florals, pretty and ultra girly stuff.


“I prefer this one” I said passing to her a dark blue notebook with an embedded rose(?) into the center of front cover. I think the flower is the trademark of the brand or something.


She just shrugged and turn around. I started inspecting the notebooks and put it on our cart while she do the same.


“Oh… I have something to tell you.” Jinri said so I turn around to look at her.


“Yesterday I saw your classmate.” She said slowly.


“Who?” I asked then I continue pilling the notebooks.


“Oh Sehun…” she said with a little hesitation looking at me gauging my reaction. I look at her in the eye and I know she understand. ‘I’m listening’


She sigh before talking again.


“Yesterday I was at school to claim my books, and then I saw him. He’s just wearing a regular white shirt and snapback. He’s talking to the head coordinator, I don’t know what they’re talking about but it took so long. When he comes out he saw me then he looked around before he ask me if you were with me. So I said no since you already have all your books.” She stop tap Hello Kitty’s head then continue.

“Are you two close?” she asked and I just notice as time goes by her cheek become redder and redder. What brand of blush is she using?


“Why?” I asked as I continue with what I’m doing.


“Because of all your classmates he asked me about you.” she said. To be honest I haven’t told her about Sehun. I just feel like it’s wrong to tell to people that we have like a local tradition of calling each other every night. No one is asking so I prefer to zip my lips. Besides I don’t want to assume anything between the two of us. Little do I know if there’s other people who he called and not just me. Plenty of girls wanted to get close to him I’ll be better if I just keep it to myself.


“I think I’ve mentioned to him that you’re my cousin.” I reply carefully. But honestly I always mention Jinri in our conversation. Sehun even said I should build a statue dedicated to Jinri since I talked as if all the goodness in Earth we’re gifted to her. Well to me Jinri is the kindest, most selfless, hardworking and humblest person that I ever knew.


“Really? You did?” She said excitedly.

“You know he’s really cute in up close in person. Every time he would passed by our corridor all the girls would look outside. Even during flag ceremony, he could easily passed as a model of some high end school uniform brand, to think he’s just standing there. And then yesterday he’s just wearing plain shirt…. Plain white shirt Krystal and yet there’s something out the ordinary.” Jinri said smiling recalling what went down yesterday. The flush in her cheeks deepened. Is she inflicted?


“Are you interested in Oh Sehun? No wait, do you like him?” I asked although the answer is already out in the open. Instead of answering she just smile at me sweetly.


“C’mon ‘cous, spill it already.” I demand.


“Well he is my type. Physically I found him very attractive! So yes I do like him. Somehow I feel like he’ll be an awesome boyfriend. “she said giggling like a school girl she is.


I just looked (judge) at her totally not impressed with her choice.


“What? Who doesn’t like him anyway? ” she said defensively when she saw me scolwing at her odd choice.


ME and Amber! I want to scream! But then the image of Jinri being happy and full of life flashes before my eyes.


“I didn’t say anything!” I said in surrender.


“You’re glaring at me!” she said pouting.


“I’m always like this, and you knew that of all people. I thought you’re used to it by now.” I said softening my stand. “But if it makes you happy… I support you all the way.” I assured her.


“What do you mean by that?” she asked curiously.


I shrugged.


“Do you have his cell number?” she asked.


“No…” I said slowly. Then it just hit me that it’s almost a year and I still haven’t asked why he doesn’t have a mobile phone or at least that’s what I assume since that’s what everyone was saying.


“Oh I just thought… ”she said disappointed.


“Don’t worry. I’ll assure you, you’ll have your happy love life.”


“Huh?” Jinri look at me puzzled.


“Just trust me on this one okay? You want him as boyfriend right?”


“But I highly doubt he even knew who I was.” she said pouting. Jinri, you might not know but Sehun knew you way before and he knows so many things about you. I wanted to tell her just to rid that frown on her face.


“Just leave it to me” I said to her. She just smiles sweetly at me. If I can give the moon to you I will but for now I’ll play the matchmaker for your happiness.


When I reached home ill interrogate Sehun and I’ll ask him to fund the statue I’ll built in honour of my perfect cousin. Bwahahaah!