Another Oh

Dear Friend,

 

 

“Can you dictate to me the assignment given in Biology?” I ask as soon as he answers the phone. It’s Saturday and I have tons to do better start early.


“Write before chat.” he reply dryly


“Just get it!” why complain when he’s going to do it anyway.


“Wait.” he said. Then I heard footsteps. It seems like he’s not in his room.
I reach for my bag of chip.


I was about to open it when suddenly I feel like someone pick up the phone.


“Hello? Who’s this?” I hear an unfamiliar voice.


Who are you? You’re the one who pick it up why are you asking me? I badly want to retort.


“Yes? Hello?” I reply politely since he seems older than myself.


“What do you need? Why are you calling?” he demand


Is he really asking me this?


“Yes sir, I was talking with Sehun earlier. We had an assignment in bio and I ne-”


“Hey! What are you doing?” I heard Sehun’s voice followed by footsteps.


“Oh look my nephew’s here” said the stranger.


“Uncle” I heard Sehun whine


“Give me that” his uncle said to him


“That’s my notebook!”


“Hija, are you still there?” he ask me


“Yes, sir I’m still here” Where will I even go?


“Okay number one. Enumerate the different-wait a minute hija I just need to scold my nephew.” Sehun’s uncle said.


“What?” I heard Sehun’s mewl.


“What do you mean what? Why is your handwriting like this?”


“What’s the problem with it?” I can almost imagine Sehun scratching his nape.


“You used hand to write and yet your handwriting is as ugly as your face!” his uncle chastise Sehun and I can’t help but laugh at his uncle’s declaration. The truth is that Sehun’s hand writing is good. His printed writing is clear and easy to understand. He did calligraphy when he was in Elementary that’s how he enhanced his handwriting. Aside from that his cursive is like a monotype corsiva-ish, so if his handwriting is ugly what more can I say about mine? I like that he doesn’t need to use pad paper to get his writings stay in line while I used five ply of pad papers under a bond paper and yet my writing still fly to the sky.


“I was in hurry. It’s the last subject before dismissal” he defends himself over his harsh uncle.


“What if your teacher hurries to give you an axe as a grade?” his uncle said.


“Uncle, we are not given grades solely based on our hand writings. Besides why are you still here? Aren’t you late?” Sehun retaliate


“Excuses.tsk. I know I just forget my shoes. Tell your mother ill come home tomorrow.”


“Bye Hija, please forgive my idiot of a nephew.”


“I will, thank you and please take care.” I said politely.

 

“Soojung?” Sehun ask to make sure I did not abandon him yet.


“Your uncle is very honest man, you should learn from him.” I tell him.


“Well if you like him so much go ahead you can take him.” he kindly offered


“No thanks, I already have three. Seems like you two are close though.” I voice my little observation over their exchange.


“A little bit, he’s a younger brother of my father, ever since I was young he’s living with us even from our old home.”


“He sounds familiar though.” I keep thinking like I knew this guy who’s talking to me.


“Ah, yeah, he’s a news anchor in the 6 o’clock news. Oh SeungHun?.”


“Really, no way he’s your uncle!” I said amazed. Seunghun is a well-known and respected journalist. I remember watching his documentary back in the days when he’s still starting from another t.v network.


“Unfortunately he is indeed my uncle, but to tell you honestly he’s quite ugly in person.” Sehun added. The truth is Seunghun is always linked with top actresses and socialites, they say not only is his face is godly also his personality.


“Oh please… Wait, why is he living with you?” I mean he’s a popular host I’m sure he’s packing loads of cash but why can’t he just buy his own place to dwell?


“It’s a rather long story.” Sehun said sighing. But he continues. “My grandfather and uncle have a feud going on for a very long time. He decided to stay with us to look after us since my father is working in another country.”


We fell in silence, I was waiting for him to elaborate but he seems uneasy on the other end.


“Are you downstairs?” I asked instead.


“Ah, yeah. I broke my extension when I was making kimbap, do you remember that day?”

“I do. I remember you made it for Jinri for your picnic. AND you didn’t even gave me!” he called me while making those kimbap, he said he’s cutting the cucumber while the phone is inserted between his shoulder and ears.


“But I always cook for you.”


“You mean to say you always make me eat your experiments that most of the time a total failure, burnt, over cook, bland, super sweet or under cook. All kinds of disaster in cooking I tasted thanks to you. Why don’t you just follow what’s written on the cookbook instead of blindly following your instinct.” He’s a good cook I admit, but only those classic dishes. But when he try something new or try to imitate a dish, that’s when I start to break cold sweat


“But that’s what I enjoy about cooking, trying new things. Besides nobody ask you to eat everything I dump on the plate.” Sehun counter


“But how can you just throw it, its still food afterall.” I blurted out. Besides how will we know what’s lacking if I won’t taste it? Isn’t that the reason I always come to his private cooking class experiment? To test and give my honest feedback? well at least its edible and im still alive.


He sigh


“When we make our project in Biology you should cook shrimp stew okay?” I told Sehun I will help him with the frog anatomy. I also asked him if I could take Amber with me, he agreed readily and said Jongdae and Kris will also be coming over.


“Can we not do shrimp? I know it’s your favourite but we’ll be dealing with frogs. Imagine I’ll be handling the frogs then I’ll be peeling off the shrimps for you to eat.”


Gross.


“Okay fine! Just cook whatever you want. Stay on the classic dish I beg of you. Just remember to make it more special this Saturday.”


“Oh yeah, I’ll be this Saturday…”


“Why, you have anything to do?”


“Yeah, I’ll be accompanying Jinri, but only in the morning. Anyway I really need to buy a new extension. After it breaks into pieces last time, I was planning to buy but Jinri and I haven’t notice the time so we ended up being too late in the night.” he recalled


Good riddance to his extension meeting their marble floor.


“At least youre not too early in the morning.” I mutter


“I’m still young and innocent!” he replies in a heartbeat understating what I meant.


“Ha! Go tell that to yourself!” I Said


“Sorry I forgot you’re a candidate for canonization. Saint Soojung- of San Francisco.” he said and I didn’t know I’m a saint in his eyes.


“And you are the next pope, Suhun the first! “I said immediately


“Aren’t we too good for the title?” Sehun wonders.


“It can’t be helped, we’re holiness!” I declare playfully.