New Friend

Dear Friend,

 


On top of my already packed schedule I started taking piano lessons every Tuesday and Wednesday after classes. My mentor is Park Yoora, she’s currently attending Korea University and majors in music. So far I do enjoy it but it’s not my calling and it feels like an obligation rather than a hobby.


Today is our 4th session so we’re not too awkward around each other. One of my mom’s friends recommended her to be my teacher. As I can see music is really her passion.


“You also attend St. Thomas right?” she asks after our class. I’m just gathering some sheets we practiced and arranging it together.


“Yes, I’m on my third year.” I said looking down on my i.d and to think I’m still on my green uniform. Can I make it more obvious?


“You know, my little brother is also attending St. Thomas and like you, he’s also 3ry year.” she said thoughtfully.


“Really?” I ask and I try to recall if anyone in my year somehow resembles her. There’s too many Park’s in Korea.


“Yeah. Park Chanyeol. He’s in 3St. Catherine I believe.” She said a little unsure.
Catherine so he’s in the Pilot, chances are I don’t know him. Maybe I’ve seen him. Chanyeol…hmmm


“Oh look who’s here.” Yoora unnie said standing up from where she’s seating.


“Chanyeol come here.” Yoora called out.


Someone tall emerge from the door wearing sweat shirt and shorts with a book in hand. The boy has fair complexion, eyes huge as saucers and his ears stick out like an elf. An overgrown elf.


“Oh, hi! It’s you!” said the boy with a voice that comes from underground.


“Hi?” I said unsure of what to say. Where did I’ve seen him befor?


“You guys are schoolmate! I didn’t know you knew each other.” Yoora announce happily.

I don’t.


“Yup! Who doesn’t know Krystal Jung, star player of the girls’ varsity team, jersey no. 24. The school’s one and only Ice Queen.” he said smiling blissfully at me. Damn that title again. Is this guy high or something?


I just stood there frozen in my spot looking at him.


“Are you done with whatever you’re doing?” Yoora ask her not so little Brother.


“Yup. Finished with my reading.” Chanyeol said rising an unknown book. Typical pilot kid, studying ahead and doing their own research. Normally the pilot students do not interact to us peasant unless necessary. No offence to Luna but her classmates are overachievers.


“Good. Can you walk Krystal to the bus stop?” Yoora unnie ask the still grinning like a Cheshire cat Chanyeol.


“Sure. Let’s go.” he said gesturing to the door.


“You don’t really have to. It’s near enough so you don’t have to bother.” I said as polite as I could muster. I can walk and besides this guy is a little creepy. I start to move to the door to do my exit.


“No Krystal, it’s okay Chanyeol doesn’t have anything to do besides it’s a little late.” Yoora unnie said walking beside me.


I didn’t respond to that but instead I bow to her “Thank you for today.”


I was walking ahead of Chanyeol . We’re quite for some while before he broke the silence.


“So you wanted to learn to play the piano?” he ask trying to start a conversation.


“Not really. It was my mom’s idea.” I answer.


“Your Mom must be a music lover.” he quips.


“No. It’s not that. About a month ago she saw an ancient piano on some antique store. She like it so much that she bought it. Then she paid for the repair. That old thing cost twice the amount of a new piano excluding the restoration. She said it’ll be pity if we won’t use it so she ask me to learn.” I briefly summaries how my mom got the whole idea.


“You’re such a filial child.” he said smiling from ear to ear.


“No I’m not. I tried to argue because there’s so much happening in school lately.” I tried to explain to my Mother about my workload and practices club actives etc. “But she bribes me. So I had no choice but to submit.” I explain why I agreed despite my lack of time.


“What kind of bribe?” he asks curiously.


“A new car.” I said nonchalantly. I don’t even know how to drive. I might sound materialistic to him but I couldn’t care less. I’m not the type of person you can push to do things I don’t like. If I don’t like, I don’t like period. But it’s my mom’s request. And she rarely do that.


“Wow! Can mama adopt me?” Chanyeol joke. “When I enter the top ten last year my mom gives me a new mac book and she said I should be in top ten again this year or she’ll take it back.” he said. “I work hard for a year for that laptop and yet your Mom will give you a car just by attending lessons.” He said smiling thoughtfully.


“I bet your mom’s just joking.” I said and I fish for my phone in my bag and check what time the bus will be arriving.


“So you also like apple?” he ask when he saw the iconic apple.


“Well, yeah I guess I like it.” I said as I turn it back to my bag.


“Me too. Up until now I still got those mini MP3 players. For me, Apple devices are easier to use compare to other gadgets. Like they say once you go MAC you wouldn’t go back.” he said the last part with so much conviction that I chuckle a little.


“Me too I still have those mini mp3s up until now I still use my iPod” I said to him.


“Really, I use my iPod to download chords that I use when I play my guitar. Apple is convenient and efficient” Chanyeol sound like a spokesperson of Apple.


“So you also play?”


“Well yeah” he said scratching his nape. The tips of his ears are dusted with pink. “All of us in the family know how to play instruments. My Favourite is guitar.”


Guitar actually suits him.


“Oh I’m Park Chanyeol of 3 St. Catherine. I don’t think you know who I am” he said offering his right hand.


I took it to shake hands with him and said “Krystal Jung” of San Francisco.


“Nice to fin- formally meet you” he said meeting my gaze. He retracted his hand then use the same hand To scratch the side of his head. Then we’re silent. Awkward.


I continue to walk. “I can take it from here. It’s really near.”


“It’s okay I’ll walk you to the bus” he insist.


“Yifan always mentions you.” he said after seconds of silence.


“You mean Kris?” I ask, and then I remember Yifan is in the pilot section. I once told Kris he’s too chill to be in the star section so if he wants a happier life he should be demoted to the block section. He just laugh.


“Yes, captain Kris. We’re classmates since 4th grade. Like real brothers that’s why we are dub twin towers.” He said to me proudly. With his height I don’t doubt that.


“That’s great, you must know each other very well” I said remembering my own Long-time Friend Jinri.


“Yes of course we graduate same primary and middle school. Same with Sehun, he’s also our school mate. Didn’t he mention me?” Chanyeol said eyes so round I have to look away.


No. He never mentions you, though he did mention Kris and some other. Wait… Maybe he did and I just wasn’t paying attention.


“Yeah, I think Sehun did say something about his former classmates.” I just said.


“Kris would sometimes invite me to watch practice. But my schedule never allows me, being neophyte cadet last year, Student Council, the clubs and all those other stuff. But last year during our foundation week I was able to watch one of your official games.” He recalled


We finally reached the stop.


. Last year then he’s a new training sophomore. Everybody know that if you’re new you’ll be the huntsmen of senior officers. He must have been busy. But not too busy to watch our game?


“I also watched you.”


“Really? when?” His head snap so quickly to face me.


“Yeah, after classes, rolling down the hard cement. Shouting in the field, push ups in the gym, twirling your wooden riffle” I said even though I have no idea where exactly he was during those times. It was just back in sophomore when I’m waiting for Vic, Luna or Joy that I was able to look at them practicing hard, shouting and running here and there. I could almost feel their exhaustion.


“Ah” he said with that booming voice of him then he starts laughing scratching his side again.


“Not my best form” he Whisper more to himself.

 

 

 

 

 

My reputation wasn't the best. I maybe harsh and straightforward most of the time, frown at other people more often than not but I'm still human. I'm glad to know that there are still people that weren’t affected... If i think about it... it started because of you.