Friend or Foe?

Dear Friend,

 

 

It was our first official game in the season so we’re in a celebratory mood when we walk out of the gym Friday night. The night air is crisp and chilly but it didn’t dampen our mood. We won our first victory and my teammates all agreed that this call for celebration. Although most of the team members are complaining about the newest addition to the team I must admit Ahn Hyojin is the biggest contributing factor of our win. We’re heading to one of Gookju’s house to celebrate the night away. I need to get some school supplies to start up my project so I told the others to head there first and I’ll be coming soon.


As I was making my way I bumped to one of our classmate Jeonghwa.


“Hi! I’ve heard you guys won! Congratulations!” she said as we both stop on our heels. News do travel like wind.


“Thanks. We did, I’m on my way to Gookju to celebrate.”


“That must be nice. Gookju is famous for the big parties she throws. Are you going to her condo?” She ask curiously.


“No, I’m heading to her house in Hongdae.” I said. Gookju’s family has several homes.


“Lucky, I wish I could be invited sometimes too. I heard all their ornaments are all made out of pure gold.” She said sheepishly.


“I’m sure she held open parties before.”


“Nah, it’s open for her circle alone, I’ve heard she even orders snack and drinks from abroad.”


“I’ll ask her sometimes to invite you.” I said shrugging.


“You’ll do that? Thank you! You’re such a nice friend.” she said Friend. Oh well I like her.


“Sure, why not?” I said as I check up on my watch.


“Wow, is that bracelet Tiffany’s limited edition for their anniversary.” She said eyeing my wrist.


“Really?” I asked looking at it myself. I never thought. My Brother send package last week. This one is address to me, Jess got a necklace, with too many gems. Mine is just white gold with one tiny gem and my name engraves on the inside. I like it plain and simple.


“Yes. There are only a few that are made. If ever you don’t like it anymore, you can give it to me anytime.” She said still looking amazed by my bracelet.


As we walk together to the bus stop, she talks about her day. She knew so much about brands, celebrity gossip and school gossip. Who’s dating who, who’s the current it girl, I didn’t even know that there’s a thing called student hierarchy inside the school. I was amazed how she knew so much.


When we stop to the waiting area she wave to me to say goodbye since it was her bus.


“Hey!” Someone said clapping my back


“Oh hey guy’s” I said surprise to see two of my teammates here.


“What are you doing talking with Jeonghwa?” Chaeyeon ask me.


“Are you two friends” Jeongyeon piped.


“Why? Is it bad talking to a classmate? Yes…” I trailed off “ we’re Friends” Jeonghwa just mentioned we are friends right.


“Krystal, just a friendly advice but stay away from her.” Chayeon said with disapproving frown.


“What? Why?” I ask she’s nice to everyone and friendly as far as I can see. She always has a smile on her face.


“Jeonghwa is known for being… how do you call that?.” Chaeyeon said tapping her lips.


“User friendly.” Jungyeon supply.


“Precisely! She’s only nice to people who she can benefit from.”


“A certified social climber, that one”


“She like be friending popular and rich kids. And yet she always retain on the background. Because everyone can see what she is. I bet you didn’t know who is until you became classmates.” Chaeyeon explain.


“Are you sure we’re talking about the same Jeonghwa?” Because there’s no way that is the same Jeonghwa I know.


“She’s my classmate last year, they call her leech. You know those pesky little insects that blood. She’s like that. She them out then and when she got all she needed she discard them.”Jungyeon said to me.


“Why do you look so angry?”


“Because that leech was my seatmate last year. I asked for a favour then. Remember biology? They ask us to bring frog for dissection”


“Ugh, blessed are the frogs who laid out their lives in the name of science” I said because I remember those poor innocent frogs we’re forced to lay to rest for eternity.


“Amen” the two of them choruses solemnly eyes closed.


“As I was saying, She said she know a place to get them since she lives near a market so I gave her money to buy me as well. She agreed. The next morning I was late, she claimed there’s nothing left coz there’s only a few she bought. Only in recess I found out she gave it to the members of Alpha Rose. I almost failed the subject because of the selfish !” Jungyeon said is such irritated voice that people start looking at us.


“Ok, calm down.” I said I didn’t intend to remind her of a bitter past with the frogs.


“I can’t every time I remember it, my blood boils automatically.”


“You should confronted her about it” I said because that’s what I gonna do.


“I did. She said those ing alpha Rose did also asked her to bring them some. She said she missed calculated and I was late so naturally I won’t get to have any. But Gayoon was gloating how the frog comes to her without lifting a finger. Jeonghwa offered it to her! That damn !” Jungyeon said fuming.


“Hey now, we just won our first game. We should be happy and stop being bothered by our past” I said to lift up the spirit.


“Well that’s true, besides I’m a member of the varsity team the future champion of ladies Basketball. While she would just remain anonymous! haha!” Jungyeon said gleefully. Well that’s quick.


“I’ll show her and that cursed Alpha Rose what I can do!” she declared boldly that earned us a few wary stare.


“Don’t be too carried away dear, you’re still a sub player.” Chaeyeon said offhandedly.


“Oh please we’re just in the same boat! I’m not worried; we have Krystal to bring home the trophy!” Jungyeon said winking at me then walking to the bus. Chaeyeon and I just look at each other. And I shrug.


“Just be careful of Jeonghwa, she’s not as sweet as you might think.” And with that remark Chaeyeon went to follow the Jungyeon.


Well as Long as Jeonghwa won’t do something I should be mad of, then I think we’re cool. It’s not a good habit to judge prematurely.


I feel like everyone hates Alpha Rose, they’re the only ones who don’t love themselves, well like they say. Love your own kind.


I can never stomach them. They feel like if they go against the flow they are cool and popular. But the 4th years make fun of them and as for the lower years, let’s just say kids look up to people who do unusual things. As for my year level we thought of them as a joke. A bad one that is. I really don’t like their group acting all cool and gang like. They usually stay in the corridors to laugh and talk obnoxiously, like they own the whole damn place. Maybe they are the one of the reason why the pilot sections goes on the same floor level to avoid such nuisance like them.