The Oh Household

Dear Friend,

 

 

I was with Amber Lui and Yifan a.k.a Kris one Saturday afternoon. After the practice game Kris invited us to their house. Not much players show up as the higher year has a conference in the morning and won’t show up until late in the afternoon. Amber and I have a long standing history since primary school while Kris is very easy to be with. He’s very tall, face that could easily pass a BB cream endorsement and eyes dreamy on usual days. But don’t be fooled by his height he’s actually dumb.  He’s also in the star section which made me wonder how he can have so much time when we hardly see most of his classmates socializing in school. Pilot kids usually keep to themselves.


We were walking and chatting loudly when someone riding a motorcycle bike stop by and pull out up his helmet. It was Oh Sehun. We talk a little bit and he invited us to their house.


This is the first time I’m going to his house and frankly I’m not sure what to expect. I picture his house having a large backyard and white fountain. I don’t know why I just do.


They live on a two story house. Lots of glass walls on the second floor with cream curtains hanging. There’s a parking area that houses two cars at the moment but there’s three more room. What I like about the place is that it has tons of trees and vines like ours but most of our trees are at the backyard only flowering plants are in the front.
When we enter the house we are greeted by their maids. Their spacious living is open to their courtyard. If I to describe the theme its modern Asian judging by the many statues of local gods, buddahs head or was it shivah? They have long beige couch that can accommodate lots of people. They have one chandelier in gold and most of their lights are pin lights. The colour of the wall is Earth tone unlike outside where it is white. Their stairs are just like ours, it’s grand and huge minus the long carpet. Like those sappy soap opera we see on T.V. Maybe her mom got the same inspiration like my mom. The sculptures are everywhere you look even the paintings that’s decorated on the wall have minimal theme. To the left there’s a mini bar. There’s so many wine glasses that’s hanging. I wonder what will happen if Seoul is hit by an earthquake those galsses will create so much noise.


On the far right where the  Piano stood, there are picture frames display. I was tempted to walk over and check it out myself but I restrain myself. I was a little curious maybe Sehun has an embarrassing photo I can use to blackmail him.


“Wow your house is huge man.” I heard Amber said when she plop down beside me neck craning over the enormous chandelier. I look at the majectic double doors where we emerge earlier. Just beside it is a lone table and a mirror attached to it. There lies a beige telephone. It was just an ordinary phone. I crack a smile coz I imagine Sehun standing there while we have our nightly conversation. How did he even withstand it I’ll never know. Good thing our phone was placed in a table with a chair.


“I do have an extension upstairs.” he whisper to me as he place a tray of snacks with different assortment. Did he just read whats on my mind? 


“I didn’t even say anything.” I said as I reach for a bag of cheese Dorito’s. Aren’t there anything sweet?


“Welcome to our humble abode” he announce to us.


“Shouldn’t you said that when we enter?” I said as I pop open the bag of chips with my bare hands.


“Kris had been here several times and I just feel like saying it.” he said then he shrug as he take some chips from my own.


“I didn’t know we have visitors” we heard someone said. We look up and there’s a woman upstairs about to decend the stairs. I immediately bolted up from the couch. I can assume this is his mother. She’s very graceful, has a fair complexion, has a pair of dimple and button nose. I’ve seen her eyes before it was owned by the person standing next to me the very same pair of dreamy hazel brown orbs.


When she reach the end of the stairs she walk to us.


“Mom this is my classmate Amber.” he said and he gesture using his hands not finger to Amber.


“Nice to meet you Mrs. Oh. You have such a beautiful house.” Amber complimented smilling at her.


I force to swallow the chip inside my mouth. Ouch! I might have scratch my throut.
“Kris.”


“Nice to see you again Aunt Soeun.” Kris said bowing politely.


“and Soojung my bestfriend” he said looking directly at me making face. A very ugly face. Like he’s mocking me. If only his mother wasn’t here and we’re not actually inside his realm I probably have reach for the nearest vase and smash it into his face.


“It’s nice to finally meet you!” She said in delight smiling at me forming crescent with her eyes. I was about to reach for her hand to give a friendly hand shake when she hug me. Oh, she smells good. Versace Bright crystals!


“Hi.” I said a little dazed from her rich floral scent, I collect myself immediately “I mean, we’re sorry if we ever bother you. We’re just taking a stroll when we Sehun saw us.” I said but I quick to follow “You have a very lovely house. The flowing water and the fall give a very relaxing feel. The arts are amazing as well!” I said smiling to her.


She seems happy to hear my compliment. I really like the sound of water but I don’t know why I blurted about the art. I only like one piece so far and I’m not really into weird and complicated stuff.


“What do you even know about art?” Sehun mutter under his breath. A little bit more and I’ll throw him in the falls.


“Thank you. I always wonder what kind of person Sehun is always talking too and he couldn’t bring himself to hang the phone.” at that said I try to recall if we ever talk bad about his family or mine. I don’t think I did but I do curse a lot although most of it are unintentional. It’s just a mare expression.


“It seems like you two never ran out of things to discuss. You seem to be a very interesting girl; why else would Sehun disappear to the world only to find him clutching the phone.” his mother said to me smiling so so sweetly.


“Interesting?, tsk” I heard Sehun Whisper. I’m gonna murder him under his own house.


“Thank you. Our conversations are usually just nonsense, the truth Sehun is just a big gossip hungry guy.” I whisper the last part. But I think she heard it as she laugh heartily. She covers her lips with the back of her hand. Wow she’s so feminine and graceful. I hope Sehun inherited even a tiny bit of manners.


“Well I could see you help each other a lot so I’m not complaining.” She said to me and I can trace her sincerity with her smile.


Sehun’s mother is super nice she invited us to have lunch with them. After that Kris went home and Amber also said she has to go home and won’t make it to the practice later. But in reality her tummy is revolting. Amber is healty person and she love her food with intense passion so she get a little carried away with the food Mrs. Oh prepared for us. I can’t blame her if she doesn’t want to take it all out in the Oh’s magnificent powder room.


“Don’t attend your practice as well.” Sehun said after we accompany Amber to their gate.
“You’re such a B.I” I reply, but I’m also kinda lost my appetite to practice. I think their food has a sluggish effect to people. B.I for bad influence.


“Said the mother of all B.I.” he said as he plop down to their couch.


I saunter towards their grand piano to study the picture displayed. I pick up one of the frame. It’s a picture of all of his siblings including him. One boy and one girl, it looks recent. The two look so much like their mother. The picture beside him can easily be recognized as his father. Sehun look like a carbon copy except the eyes.


“Where are your siblings?” I asked when I couldn’t take it anymore.


“Soohee is attending ballet lesson while Sohyun is in his swimming lesson.” His eyes don’t even leave the book he’s scanning. So that’s why it’s too quite.


After looking thoroughly at the picture I join him in the couch.


“So what are we going to do?” I ask


“Nothing. Why don’t you help me cook?” he suggest


“Didn’t we just eat?”


“Yes but we need to eat snack and I have to get ready for dinner.” he said getting up and walking


I follow him not really digesting all he said.


Their kitchen is grand. This maybe the largest kitchen I ever seen in my entire exsistance. Just like all the other furniture in the house it has a modern feel to it. We have two kitchens in the house one is the dirty kitchen where the maids do their magic while the other one is the guest kitchen more commonly called for display only. My mom won’t allow anyone to use it which I don’t really understand as my sister Sooyeon said the kitchen wares and items there are way more expensive than what we used. Like the other day Sooyeon wants to try and bake what she watched on the TV but my mom said she’ll just give her money to buy a cake, less effort and we can assure it taste good.


“What?” Sehun said when he realizes I’m still at the door.


“Your parents did all the way for this kitchen.” all I can say.


“I’ve told you My father loves to cook so he wanted a big kitchen.” he answers as he open one of the refrigerator. It was also costume made it look like a normal cabinet but it’s actually a ref. His father’s name is Sangjin while his mom is Soeun so all their name starts with S. While my mom’s name is Gina and my dad is Henry so he named their kids Isaac, Jessica and Krystal. Oh our parents humour.


Sehun’s father works as a head chef in China or more precisely he co-owned several restaurants across China. He mentions it before we didn’t go deep in each other’s family background. Only when our conversation naturally drifts to it then we talk about it but not once have I asked about it same with him. I think we have the same mind.


“How about you? Do you also cook” I ask and take a seat on one of the rotating stool. There’s an elegant crystal fruit placed on the table. The way the fruits were arranged looked coordinated. On top of the bananas was an apple; a green apple. Like the star of the whole setting is the apple.


Sehun is currently working on one of the island, the one with sink. Before he begin he wear and apron that said ‘Chef in the house yo~’. He place different wares, small bottles, knife etc on the table.


“I’m the son of my father!” he proudly declares.


“Really now?”


“Are you surprised?” he ask smiling. Of course I was surprised even in my wildest imagination I wouldn’t have thought Sehun actually like cooking. Usually chefs are picky when it comes to food they eat. I have a cousin who’s taking up culinary. She usually criticizes the food she eats, if she likes what she taste then she’ll break down the ingredients to us even if we hardly care, then she try to replicate it. But Oh Sehun no matter how hard I try to recall he never said anything about our food.


“I wonder how much skills you inherited from your father.”


“The lunch we had, I prepare it myself.”


“You cook chicken with mushroom and asparagus not foie gras.” I reminded him the simplicity of our meal but if I’m being honest it was tasty now I just don’t wanna feed Sehun’s ego.


“When my father was still here, I often help him around the kitchen. So I’m quite familiar with it.” he said as he picks up the bag of flour. “You want cookies?”


“Do you really have to ask that? Pour out all the chocolate chips.” I instruct him as I eye the two bags of chocolate chips. He walk to a smaller door, I assume their cupboard where they store other dry goods. My eyes went back to the green apple displayed right in front of me. I pick it up to study closer. It’s just your typical green apple. I take a bite. There is nothing special about it, in fact it’s a little sour as compare to common apples. Dude I don’t mean to offend but you’re just green.

 

When Sehun emerge he’s carrying a tray with different things in it. I’m not into cooking but I don’t think any of it is a poison.


“Just trust me, K?” he said to me as he laid down the ingredients one by one.


“All I wish is that it’ll be edible enough to eat and I won’t suffer a bad diarrhea.” I said after I chew the apple on my mouth.


“I know what I’m doing. Have a little faith. I was trained by the master.” he said confidently flashing his white set of teeth.


“So you’re great. You learned? Even though at a very young age, you knew all the secret ingredients and techniques in cooking. Because apparently you’re a protégé.  Then you decided to open your own restaurants to challenge your father because you don’t what to do what he like you to be. After several years his business went bankrupt while you flourished and thrive. Your mom will come to you to beg for help you father. You on the other hand despite the fame and success you can’t find it in your heart to be happy. So you secretly helped your father to regain back his business. This was of course witness by a fairy so she rewarded you with a golden ladle. But as always you’re an idiot so instead of using it for cooking you sell it in a flee market. The end.” I finish my story.

 

My bastard of a best friend starts to clap in slow motion.

 

“Wow Soojung I’m very impressed. Didn’t know you have a talent in narration. Your approach is very… classic. Cliché has nothing on you.” Sehun said looking at me unimpressed but the tug of his lips let me know he was entertained.


“You have no idea” I said agreeing to him.


While he wrestles with pots and mixer I indulge myself looking around their vast kitchen.

 

I’ve also made snarky and unnecessary comments once in a while just to irate him and remind him that I’m still here. We talk about his other family members when they arrived. Like always he’s very reserved when it comes to his extended family. I feel like there’s suddenly a gush of cold air every time he’s in a position to talk about his relatives. I’m not trying to put him in that situation but I can’t help it that I’m pretty close with my cousins and relatives even when most of them are abroad.


Sehun’s siblings arrived with their nannies. They’re so cute and such darlings. I always love kids. They even kiss me on the cheek as greetings. As Sehun bake I chat and play a little with them. I always long for a younger sibling, but Jess said she rather be the youngest. I didn’t even realize the time until Sehun call us.


I sat on the stool waiting for my share.


“Be careful it’s hot.” Sehun warn as he place a tray of freshly baked cookies. It’s like I didn’t hear him, all I can hear is my stomach growling with hunger.


“Oh-Oh-Oh!” i said blowing from my mouth. “HOHOHO” damn this is too hot! my toque is burning.


Without a word Sehun place a cup of ice cold water in front of me. Good thing he didn’t have any side comment, like I didn’t listen to him before attacking the cookies, or else ill pick it all and place it in his mouth and I’m gonna make sure he’ll swallow it.


Since then I become a regular visitor of their home. Usually, after practice in the afternoon if ever I had nothing much to do. Sehun’s mother is super nice. I don’t understand why Sehun demands for an audience while he cooks. Or maybe because he wants someone to taste his food and gives an honest opinion. I can be brutally honest to him so I don’t mind plus I get to eat free food.


I never had seen anyone in the same age that has the same dedication and focus to a certain field. He must’ve really like cooking. I’m somewhat grateful I was able to watch him cook. I can’t explain but it gives me a sense of serenity every time I witness him honed the pan with earnest skills. Like he was born to do it and kitchen is his realm.


His cooking is not always perfect and scrumptious. At our age it’s so easy to let go and surrender but Sehun’s patience and determination is truly admirable. I don’t have much patience in me to do the things he does even if I wanted something badly. So it makes me think how useless I ‘am. Right now even at his young age I can surely assure Sehun knows what he wants out of life. As for me, I still don’t know what I want, I envy him at least he has an outline for the future while mine looks dim.

 

 

 

 

 

At a young age you knew exactly what you want in life. But why didn’t you fight for this path that you like so much. Was your dream not worth fighting for?