Wicked Witch

Dear Friend,

 

 

Noon break.

 

 

The entire school is busy getting either lunch or eating to some designated places inside the campus.

 

I saw my friends Sooyoung and Vic at our usual table. I told them I’ll join them I just have to get my food. Luna rarely join us coz she’s so busy maintaining her grades but it’s all right.

 

I wasn’t that hungry so I just have sandwich and Vic said she already have some juice we can share. I was making my way to my table when I hear Hyuna’s hyena laugh second that day, Jiyoon and Jihyun were standing on guard.

 

“Did you get what it means?” Jihyun said slowly smiling like a dog the kind of dog you rather bite than cuddle.

 

“Did-you-understand???” Hyuna said ever so slowly like she’s talking to a toddler. The duo backup cackle. But she’s not talking to a child; she’s talking to one of our classmates, Hyelin.

 

 “Why are you even wasting your time with her Hyuna? Let’s just tell the truth, she can’t understand a very simple topic. That’s it, then we’ll take her share” Jihyun said putting both hands on her waist. I feel for Hyelin at that moment. She’s looking on the floor and stays very quiet while these mean girls are grilling her

 

“Why are you even on our group? You can’t understand simple topic and you’re so slow. I can’t tolerate that, if you’re going down, go alone. Don’t take us with you. Besides you’re already used of failing anyway.” Hyuna said annoy. I look around most of the students aren’t paying attention. Majority of people are from the lower years.

 

When I look back Jiyoon is making a face like mocking the poor girl. I saw how Hyelin shoulder slumped. I bet she’s crying now.

 

I didn’t think I just walk straight.

 

When I was walking near Jiyoon and Jihyun stand straighter uncrossing their arms, no more trace of happiness in their faces.

Hyuna take notice so she turn and face me. Now that I’m close I notice the yellow stain on Hyuna’’s white uniform.

 

“What?” She asks arrogantly.

 

“I believe its break time not sermon time. If you want to talk to her there’s a proper time and place for that.” I said in harsh tone. She comes closer and when we’re face to face she answer.

 

“Why are you melding in others people business? You didn’t even know what happened. What’s your problem?” She said unhinged. I can smell her lunch, did she swallow a whole urinals? Damn it. I got dizzy for a sec. I turn my head to my left to breathe some much needed fresh air. Then I saw Hyelin still looking down. Then I remember why I’m here.

 

Since you’re asking...

 

“My problem?” I said nodding to mock her “you’re polluting the air I’m breathing, you’re such a huge garbage blocking my way, you’re disturbing the little peace lunch has to offer and finally…” I said emphasising each syllables then I gave Hyelin a side glance “you’re hurting someone else’s feeling.” I said with so much calm i was surprise myself. When we were in first year I just let them since I’m in a new environment but now I know my prerogative is just the same as hers.

 

‘oooohhh’

 

‘Did she just said Hyuna has halitosis ’

 

‘pass the popcorn’

 

I hear murmurs from the students around us.

 

Hyuna is Red. Red is Hyuna. That’s all the colour I can see in her. I know she’s flaming with hatred now. She looked at me from head to feet and back again. But I didn’t remove my gaze to her. Why? Does she think I will back down? She look at me like she’s staring at me for submission but nah-ah that won’t work to me. I give her a look that said ‘stop looking down at me especially when I’m taller than you’! I raised my chin higher. My friends said that they’re afraid to approach me at first coz of my fierce eyes. I wonder how I look now when I’m provoked and my mode is on.

 

“Nosy witch! The both of you should be together, I’m sure you’ll fit each other so well!” She said turing around. Oh common, I just staring up! Do you think that’s it? And who said I’ll let her walk away first.

 

“Wait!” I said acidly.

 

“What?” She said turning back irritated brows rising up to her hairline!

 

“Your mother said go back to your house because you forgot something.”  I told her as calm as I can but never forgetting to inject the venom on each word.

 

“What?” She said brows knitted in confusion

 

“-Your manners!” I said and I see how the Colour disappears from her face.

 

I hear a collective gasp

 

‘auch’

‘burn’

 

I heard again from the background

 

“Why you witch!” She said as she angrily comes back to face me.

 

“Wait!” I said rising one finger on her face she’s fuming with anger. I have enough of smelly air.

 

“You just drop your morals and hey did you just step in your already crumpled dignity? Look around you. If I were you I’ll run around, pick up my dignity or whatever’s still left there and try to savage it together.” I pause dramatically “But good luck trying.” I said as nonchalant as I could muster and turn on my heel.

 

 ‘ladies and gentlemen- that’s The one and the only ice queen-Krystal.’ I’m sure that voice belongs to Jongdae. Some even manage to clap.

 

I heard Hyuna’s irritated whine, I won’t be surprised if she’s pulling out her hair.

 

I didn’t look back.

 

“You heard the Queen MOVE! You’re on my way!” I heard Gookju’s booming voice. And the entire pantry burst out laughing. Oh Gookju.

 

 

“You~  you’re such a Queesn” I heard Vic said when I sit down to join them.

 

They were all standing up when I make my way towards our table.

 

“ ‘You’re polluting the air im breathing’-’” Vic mimic my earlier speech. Sure enough they heard the entire exchange.

 

“You’re indeed such a Queen!” Said Joy as she put on an invincible crown in my head.

 

"Honestly I’ll take more than just courage to stand against those meanies! Fortunately! Our friend right here have more than guts to slap them back to where they belong!" Vic said not minding her loud voice. Yes Vic, go ahead shout it harder till the whole faculty heard it. So that they can punish me with a well-deserved suspension.

 

 

“I think I lost my appetite.” I whisper  more to myself as I set down my sandwich.

 

“Krystal defender of the oppressed and saviour of the poor souls.” Joy declared as she flaps her arms like a drunken conductor of a musical recital.

 

 “So proud of you girl! “ Luna said smiling at me. And I thought she’s lethargic one in the group?

 

“I thought you’re busy?” I ask, she wasn’t here earlier. She just shrug.

 

“In their faces! Now they learn their lessons- the hard way!” Joy continues with her fascination of what just happened.

 

“Even us, we got scared of you. You’re like a tiger, I’m not kidding. I think I might even dream of you. Don’t take me in one mouthful okay?” Joy said trying to ease the frown in my face.

 

“Up until now the hairs on my nape are still standing” Vic added

 

I’m not in the mood to chat with my friends. Things happen too fast for my liking. I’m not really afraid of the consequences of my actions. Hyuna’s mother is no longer our teacher.

 

After a while I eat my sandwich. My friends continue their chatters as usual; I don’t hear most of it as my mind is off elsewhere.

 

I saw Hyelin eating her lunch alone on the farthest corner. When our gaze met she gave me a small smile. And it means a lot because Hyelin rarely smile to people; she’s very shy and timid. I smile at her too, just a little. Hyelin was my schoolmate and classmate since elementary and middle school. Up until now in high school she’s and I still belong to the same class. I feel like I have some sort of responsibilities to her even though we’re not friends. Like I was always share the same class for a reason.

 

The truth is I’m not sure if what I did is right or I just worsted the situation.

 

Anyway what’s done is done.