New Student

Dear Friend,

 

I try to go to the library whenever I can even just a bit. I can’t come on Thursday and Friday because of practice and sometimes official games. But every time we never really have a normal conversation. He usually just sits there, pass the manga and start reading. Sometimes when he’s so engross with his readings I sneak a peek from my own comics to observe him. It’s all Sooyoung’s fault; he keeps saying he’s an alien, weirdo and nuts. Even the girls from our Home economics, when we’re outside working in the greenhouse the boys we’re out with their machineries. Lay was sitting alone, the girls from his section made a comment how they fell so weirder out by Lay. They even chuckled at his nickname E.T because apparently his head is too big for his body. I don’t think his weird; it’s just that he’s misunderstood for being too quite.

 

One time I take a seat next to him. He’s not reading nor sleeping this time. He’s making something with the paper that it seems like I don’t exist in the same place as he does. All his attention was on whatever he’s doing so I stood in his back to see what it is.


I was surprised. “Oh, that’s really good!” I said when I finally understand what he’s doing. On the paper was the exact copy of Lufey drawn in pencil.


Finally noticing me he look at me and said “ Lufey is a pirate. He went on a journey to follow his dream.” I might have laugh because he has no reaction on his face at all. But I didn’t I don’t think it’s polite. I can feel the baby hairs on my nape.


“Is that so? I’m not really familiar with One Piece coz it’s sooo Long” I said when I manage to recover. Now I regret not watching the said anime. It was my chance to finally connect with him. Darn!


He just shrug the went straight back to his drawing.


“You know why don’t you apply to the school newspaper as artist? Or better yet you should join the annual drawing contest the school sponsor.” I suggest. It would be such a waste of talent. He just looks at me the blink 3 times. Yes I counted. I feel the chill creeping up on my skin.


After he proves that I’m human and I won’t melt with his stare he looks down on the floor under the table. When he resurfaces he handed me a sketch pad. It has a label; Own by Zhang “Lay” Yixing and other info about him.


“May I?” I ask a little unsure what to do with it. He just nod so I take a seat on my usual place. I open it sceptically.


Just the first page and one could clearly see how he’s a serious artist. Other have Colors, others don’t. Cray pastel, colouring pencil, water Color, paint it has different medium but never it’s equally fascinating. All of which are anime, or so I believe, I know some of the, others I think I know but not familiar with. I was itching to ask one particular character, his name is on the tip of my toque. I’m a little shy to ask Lay to read out what’s on my mind then I reminded myself where not yet on that level; showing each other toque. Wait that doesn’t sound right.


Of all his drawing the ones I admire the most are pieces that are drawn only in pencil. It shows how blessed his hands are. As I’m busy with ogling his goodly creation he was also busy with his drawing. Does he have a deadline? Shouldn’t he explain his magnificent pieces? Why he draws it, what’s his inspiration, how long does it take to finish one? I have my own question like which part he like to draw, any technique for beginners like me? What are his Favourite pieces? But it seems like even earthquake won’t bother him right now. As I look at him I remember that exact look; sheer determination for the craft you love most. I’ve seen it too many times before.