Start

Dear Friend,

Dear Friend,

How should I start writing a letter? Should I ask you first if you’re okay? How are you? Have you missed us? I’m happy for you’ve returned. Very Happy.

But if you read those lines I’m dead sure this paper will end up crumbled in the trash bin. You might think it’s not from me after all. So… are you still alive? Is your body still intact? If there are missing portion kindly enumerate it one by one.
How is it even possible? How did you survive military life? You ? Seriously? YOU?

 

 

 

First year

 

Start of classes.

 

 

 

“Freshmen, Welcome to St. Thomas Academy. I’m Ms. Kwon Boa. I’ll be your adviser and science teacher for the whole school year.” Our class adviser introduced herself. She has a smiling and thoughtful face. I like her. Every female teacher in school are called Ms. regarded of status.


St. Thomas Academy is an exclusive school, it’s a private catholic school where in rich, middle class and economy class met. Equality is what they emphasis above all. All sections are named after saints, for inspiring the students they say… it is run by nuns. So there a good amount of white cloaked individuals roaming freely inside the campus as thei convent is located near the school itself.

 

“Since this is the first time I’m meeting you, why don’t we start the day with a little introduction? State your name, where you live, age, hobbies and the school you graduate.” our adviser instruct us.

 

One by one my classmate introduced themselves. Since we are arranged by surnames mine was along the last, hence I was seating on the 4th row. I’m not familiar with my two seatmates. The one on my right is Soojin she’s a little chubby and I could hear her murmuring like a bee as if practicing what to say. The other one is Hyemin she has a blonde hair and keeps biting her super short nails, I’m almost tempted to offer mine.


“He’s so cute.” I heard Hyuna said as she whispered to Jihyun. Hyuna was a former schoolmate in primary through middle school. She’s the daughter of our history teacher now or so she proudly proclaimed since forever.


“I know right? I saw him during the assembly I was so relieved he’s in our section” Jihyun whisper back giggling looking at the opposite row. Jihyun is her ever so loyal right hand, she’ also from the same school as I was.


I don’t really pay much attention to who they are referring to. The whole introductory cycle went on and honestly I don’t remember other students name except for Jaekyung who’s playing the teacher’s pet, Hyejung who’s hand always fly away when the teacher asked something and Nara because she repeated her name over a dozen times. Don’t ask me why she did that, I wasn’t paying attention, my mind is dribbling somewhere.


“Since you already have your student handbooks, just like this one. We’re going to tackle about school rules. What the School expected from you and what you should expect in return.” and that’s the start of a very boring day. She discusses everything under the handbook. I’m sure all, if not most of my classmates are drifting to dreamland as well. Right now I think she’s discussing about uniform I heard ribbons, shoes, polo shirts, skirts blah blah.


Then I saw a basketball. A baby blue ball. Then I touch it and dribble it a few times I ran towards the goal, jump to shoot it-


“Teacher what if we’re not wearing complete or appropriate uniform?” Jaekyung ask smiling. Ms. Kwon look around and put the handbook on the table. She roused from her seat and strut in the aisle.


“Let’s say we have here Mr.-” Ms. Known said as she stops at the third row isle of the boys.


“Oh Sehun” the one on the isle said immediately. The girls chuckle loudly.


“Okay, let’s say Mr. Oh here is wearing white socks” Ms. Kwon said as an example.


My nosy seatmate who’s seating on the isle said “He’s wearing white socks.”


“You’re wearing white socks indeed.” Ms Kwon said but not angry she’s more amused. The whole class explode with laughter at his reaction. I couldn’t see his face but his ear is glowing red.


“I’m really sorry teacher, I was in hurry this morning my uncle threaten me that he will leave me if couldn’t get in his car in time.” Said Sehun earning another loud cackling from the class including Ms. Kwon. Sehun guy can only look down in shame probably.


“Truthfully I thought you all know the basic rules. Oh well I let it slip this time but next time ask for an excuse letter from the prefect of discipline.” Ms. Know warned. I have heard about the famed lion, caged in the room with a label Prefect of Discipline. Ms. Soa The Prefect is also a teacher and she’s a terror one. They say students automatically part whenever Ms. Soa made her way anywhere. It sends chills to my bone just thinking about her.


“Before I dismiss the class, I want you to get your registration card. Like this one.” she said as she raised ½ size green index card. “Pass it to the aisle and then forward.”


All the students turn to their bags to get the said card. Upon passing Sehun speak again.


“Teacher, I don’t think I have that. ” he said and I can see pile of things were on his desks..


“That’s not possible. if you don’t have this, it means you’re not registered to the school. Did you look thoroughly?” Ms. Know ask concern.


“I can’t find it...” he said sounding so down.


“What’s this?” his seatmate Jongdae said rising the same green index card from Sehun’s desk. We all laught at that.


“ Oh dear… And we’re just starting. ” Ms. Kwon can only sigh.


“Anyway class, if you want to try out for the basketball team I’ll be there and Mr. Shim, your music teacher will be the one in charge with the boys as the coaches are still in a seminar. Try out schedule will be at the end of the month and if you make it to the team, automatically you’re a member of the sports club.” she said as the students gather their belongings getting ready to go home.


I smile hearing that. I always love sports. Basketball is the closest to my heart. The first sport my brother taught me when I was younger. I always had been a team player since elementary to middle school. I can’t wait to see my former teammates.

 

 

 

 

So how did you survive? How did you withstand all of the trainings and hardships, when you can’t even follow a very simple instruction?

 


 

 

well there's the start...