Mysterious and Suspicious

Weird Tale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Great Grandmother allowed the men to explore the whole area while she took a rest at her cottage and told them not to disturb her. They wondered what she was doing inside but Yoochun said it was a habit the grandmother took from her previous career as a leader. Although there was nothing to be explored at the area, but the men decided to seek adventures at the nearby forest, which was the least they could do. Minutes they spent wandering around the whole forest but they didn’t dare to go deeper. They ended up walking in the same circle waiting for the scorching sun to set before the grandmother called for them to go inside. Jaejoong had to stay with the grandmother for his training after all. They stepped on muddy puddles, discovered some insects and had beads of sweat damping their clothes.

“I honestly don’t think this is a good idea.” Changmin complained after soaking himself under the sweats of the sun. 

Junsu glanced at his tail that was just merely hanging and his ears limping. Yoochun pulled up his sleeves and heaved a sigh before puffing his cheeks.

“What if we just sit around and talk?” Yunho suggested seeing everyone was already losing their spirits, “Then we can wait for the sun to set.”

Jaejoong settled the sword on his clothed shoulder before shaking his head and leaned his back against the tree trunk.

“I need to swing this sword.” he remarked.

“Then we’ll watch you practice.” Yunho said while rolling his shoulders, “I can’t do anything at least. Just a human hanging with some shape-shifters.”

Yoochun chortled before looking at Yunho and just sealed his lips. The men continued talking while Changmin was doing something else.

 

Changmin noticed something. No, he heard something.

 

Changmin had his ears twitching and tail moving sideways. He tilted his head before looking at the direction where he believed the noise was coming from. The older men noticed the youngest one had been triggered by a mysterious sound. They shared a glance before looking at the curious shape-shifter. Changmin darted his eyes around.

“What are you sensing?” Junsu questioned, feeling the same curiosity overwhelming.

“Did you all hear that?” Changmin instead asked back.

“I didn’t hear anything strange.” Jaejoong said before placing his sword standing on the ground, “What sound is it?”

Changmin rubbed his nape, “Not sure, but it sounded like someone playing with strings.” he replied, doubting.

 

And yes, it sounded like some strings.

The men looked at each other and remained quiet for a while. They accepted the silence before then they heard what Changmin was meaning. Even Yunho who had a different audible range than others managed to hear the same sound. The sound of strings being vibrated bringing about a beautiful sound with a rhythmic flow which managed to soothe troubled hearts, this was what they heard. It was as if someone was playing a musical instrument. It was soothing. But, why would someone play an instrument in a forest? Under the scorching sun too? The men shared another glance before began their investigation.

 

 

Changmin led the way for the others. They had small cautious steps and they merely depended on their hearing and instinct. The sound was getting even louder and closer, and more soothing. They noticed the path they were now stepping on looked different then the trail they used before. The grassy path looked as if it had been stepped for years and it looked like a routine path, as if it was being used for years. Wondering where the path would bring them to, the men then began using the track. They heard the calming yet soothing sound became louder. 

“Are you sure this is not something like a trap or anything..?” Junsu asked as he looked around his surrounding.

Yoochun held Junsu’s hand and smiled a reassuring one, 

“We ought to know soon.” Yoochun said with a smile.

Changmin suddenly stopped his pace and quickly turned around, startling the older ones.

“I saw someone-“ Changmin exclaimed and Yoochun quickly covered his mouth.

“Not loud voices.” Yoochun told.

Jaejoong furrowed his eyebrows before taking his leadership instinct and walked passed Changmin. He was now leading the team. He approached a bush and crouched close to it then peeked just like how Changmin did. Squinting his eyes, yes, he saw the person too. The others noticed Jaejoong’s interest as his ears twitched slightly and all of them began joining him peeking.

 

They saw her.

 

The person was a lady. A gorgeous lady. She was sitting on a wooden stool in the middle of the verdant meadow. Arrays of flower set into random patterns surrounding her. Golden and white dandelions waited to be blown by the gentle zephyr, swaying side to side, enhancing the serene atmosphere and dancing in the air along with the breeze. Bushes of roses were planted, arranged in lines and standing tall than other flowers with pride of their mocking beauty of crimson wine but their thorns always alerted of intruders. Largest of all, peonies reflected the sun conceiting their mature growth and fragrant petals. Birds landed on branches of old oak trees, chirping their best song to accompany the whole atmosphere. And there she was again, the lady who was sitting on the stool, playing a wooden ukulele vibrating the strings with her fingers, giving a soothing yet calming sound each time the strings moved. The auburn hair, the slight sun-tanned complexion and the attractively shaped body, the lady was flawless of her own characteristics. She was dressed with a white silky trapeze covered with a yet silky navy blue stole that rolled down her shoulders, brushing against her skin each time she made a gesture of her arms. She played the instrument with a total concentration, smiling at her own skill and dimples were seen from afar. Her fringe was half shadowing above her eyes. The movement of her fingers were so flawless, trained and smoothly playing along with the vibration of the thin strings. However, despite her looks, the men noticed one thing about the lady. She was also a shape-shifter.

The lady had ginger large fluffy, foxy ears rather than normal human ones. Her ginger fluffy tail was hanging at the edge of the stool she was sitting on. 

 

Yunho looked at the others, “That lady is a fox, isn’t her?” he asked before glancing at the woman again. Adapting himself living over shape-shifters, he was able to see and predict the creatures, blatantly from their appearances at least.

Yoochun sniffed the air, his nose shuddered as he caught the scent. He nodded, confirming.

“That’s a fox.” he told, eyeing the lady from the bushes.

Yunho watched as the others seemed to be interested. Their eyes glistened at the lady, ears making slight movement while tails were settling hanging. He wondered if these ‘cats’ were hunting after foxes, or even if cats and foxes were friends or nemesis, he didn’t know. But somehow the men were interested toward the lady, they could not just even blink their eyes for a second. Perhaps it was their instinct , or even the lady’s beauty which piqued their interest, Yunho just didn’t know.

“I am sorry but aren’t we supposed to greet her? We are not spying on her, are we?” Yunho asked looking at no one in particular.

Junsu glimpsed at Yunho before shaking his head, “We won’t know. In fact, it is quite rare to see a fox within the cat’s area. Suspicious.” he told before heaving a slight sigh. 

Jaejoong settled his grip on the hilt of his sword before tilting his head slightly, “She seems harmless.” he said.

Yoochun cupped his own chin, “Maybe it is best if we leave her alone. We need to tell the Great Grandmother about this. Perhaps she doesn’t know about this lady here, or perhaps she knows. That’s why we need to ask because other animals shall not enter the cats’ territory like it is a walk in the park.” he remarked.

When the others nodded of agreement, Changmin instead shook his head. His eyes were still fixed at the lady. His older friends looked at him, waiting for words.

“She looks beautiful.” Changmin told with a smile, “Kind, pure and innocent.”

Junsu snickered with a smirk before nudging Changmin’s arm with his elbow.

“Save that for later. We won’t know if this lady is all good or not.” Junsu remarked, “We better be cautious.”

Sighing a small one, Changmin shook his head, taking his courage to rebel to his older friends.

“But hyung, at least, I want to talk to her. Can I try, please? I mean, I am sure a lady like her won’t cause any trouble. In fact, we are exploring the forest so why not talk with one of its residents?” Changmin got his point and won.

The others looked at Jaejoong once s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter