Jeju

One Word
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A beautiful stranger was waiting the minute Jennie came out from the hotel she had been staying at for a week. She wasn't exactly surprised by the presence of the black haired girl, wasn't exactly pleased so much in meeting her too. Yet the smile the girl gave as she welcomed her, opening the door to the passenger's seat of a black sedan, didn't make Jennie want to tell her to scram.

 

She met her gaze for a bit and didn't give time for the girl to talk as she quickly got inside the car. She was on the phone immediately, calling Chaeyoung and barely paying attention to anything else. The door was shut just as her superior picked up.

 

"Hello?"

 

"I still don't agree with this, Roseanne."

 

"We talked about this, Jennie unnie." The bruntte sighed as the car started moving. "You need a rest."

 

"A rest. Not a sabbatical leave. How do you expect that to help me write my songs?"

 

"There was a time you'd ask for a leave and go to places whenever you're stuck. Then you'd come back with outputs that became hits, masterpieces even."

 

"Yeah and that time was ing ages ago. Get over it. I'm not able to make goddamn love songs anymore. Not everything is about that. Just because majority wants to hear all that cringey and sweet doesn't mean I have to go with the flow too--"

 

"Jennie unnie. Please." Chaeyoung's voice was stern and that made the older girl stop before she gets even more carried away. It was almost as if she was the one having a hard time about everything happening when Jennie felt everyone was turning their back on her as the younger girl thought she needed help and rest too. "I've agreed with them about everything from transport to your itinerary. Be nice to Kim Jisoo. She knows what she's doing."

 

Jennie let out a sigh. "You've already said that."

 

"Are you with her already?"

 

She glanced at the driver. It was as if this Kim Jisoo knew exactly that they were talking about her as she glanced at Jennie through the rearview mirror. "Yeah. I'm with her."

 

"Oh jolly. Great!"

 

"You thought I was going to ditch and run away, didn't you?"

 

"You can't really run that far, you know. You get tired pretty much with just walking fast--"

 

"I'm hanging up."

 

"I still have something to say as a heads up, unnie--!"

 

 

The line ended with just a click. Jennie turned off her phone before it starts ringing again. When she wasn't satisfied with it being just a few meters away from her seat, she grabbed it again. She opened the window, totally aware of a pair of curious eyes, then threw her phone outside.

 

 

"What are you doing?!"

 

"Isn't it obvious? Phone calls bother me the most so I threw my phone." Jennie was rather surprised as she didn't expect the other girl to have a deep voice. It didn't match her too feminine features. "And you'd better get your eyes back on the road before we crash and die. Or worse... you could lose your job in this poor economy. You wouldn't want that, right, Ms. Kim?"

 

"I..." Kim Jisoo seemed to have been at loss for words. Her face turned back to where it was moments ago as Jennie turned hers towards the window. "You could have just told me to hide it or something... it's a waste to throw an expensive gadget away."

 

 

When Jisoo didn't get a reply from the brunette who definitely has an attitude or just woke up from the wrong side of the bed, she thought of something else to say. She didn't really get to make conversations or even introduce herself to her client. She cleared yet the Jennie Kim still didn't acknowledge her.

 

 

"Isn't losing your life the worst thing to happen? How could losing a job be worse than that..."

 

Jennie persisted in not giving her a glance. "Just drive, Kim Jisoo. Don't make things too bothersome."

 

 

 

 

 

=  =  =  =  =

 

 

 

 

 

Jeju is definitely a safe place, a place for comfort and amusement and anything that is great and wondrous. It's quite impossible for anyone to hate it, let alone be so adamant in stepping a foot in the island. Then again... Jennie already protested so much even when they were still about to board the ship her management arranged for Jisoo to use as a mode of transport.

 

Jisoo kept pacing back and forth. So far, the famous songwriter and producer wasn't pleased with her. In fact, it's not only as if Jennie just wasn't pleased with her but also very angry with her, with the world, with every little thing that she could vent out some rage Jisoo still doesn't know where it orinates.

 

 

"I mean... I get that she's seasick! Everyone gets seasickness but it's not my fault that Park Chaeyoung said so! Our company told me to take her! And... and what? What did she say? "Dying this way is anticlimactic"?! Do I look like a killer?!" She scoffed as she kept talking to herself. She glanced up the sky and took deep breaths. "One month, Kim Jisoo. It's just 31 days. Besides, I'm down by 5 days already! What could be worse?!"

 

 

The question seemed to have been answered by all the scenarios that happened the past five days that she spent with the brunette. It wasn't like she could insult their client. Not like Jisoo could call Jennie Kim arrogant just because she didn't even care enough to know her first before she orders her around since the first time they met. Not like she could call her rude just because she didn't show enough manners to people. Not like she could call her a definitely despicable person just because she was so anti-social, pessimistic and would rather give suicidal thoughts when asked how the things around her are.

 

It's not like Jisoo didn't notice the tough work that she would have to bear with patience. But she was so close to scolding the brunette especially when she's sure she's a year older. She really wish she could give Jennie a peace of mind even if that meant some punishment with their staycation and tour company.

 

 

She sighed and sat on the soft sand. She closed her eyes as she steadied her breathing. "Let's understand this poor girl. Let's help her. Get her some cool air. Make her drink fresh water. Have her--"

 

"Are you meditating?"

 

 

The black haired girl halted with her words as she heard her new client's voice. She exhaled once more before she turned around to face Jennie who was impossible to miss in a sunny day and beautiful view. The latter was wearing too much black clothes and her eyes covered with shades. Jisoo could picture her being accompanied by some dark aura and imagining that in her head made her let out a laugh. The girl just doesn't seem to like any other color except for shades that exude darkness.

 

 

"You're laughing? You're so weird."

 

"Tell that to the girl who looks like Death walking on a sunny beach."

 

"Whatever." Jisoo stood up and before she could even ask how the latter's call went when she borrowed her phone, Jennie passed her phone. As in pass her phone in a way that you'd do with a ball. Fortunately, Jisoo was able to catch it before it fell to the ground. "Yah!"

 

"What's for dinner? Don't tell me we're getting fish and we have to do it ourselves?"

 

"Are you being serious right now?!"

 

"Do I look like I'm joking?"

 

"You just threw my phone at me! What's with you and phone throwing?!" Jennie shrugged nonchantly and Jisoo was sure sure she muttered something between the lines of whatever I don't care and just get another one then. "When you borrow things, a thank you would be much appreciated, you !"

 

"Too noisy."

 

"No, I am not done with you!"

 

 

Jisoo prevented the brunette from leaving as she held her arm. She was sure Jennie was glaring at her. Yet she was going to give her what should set an arrogant and spoiled brat straight.

 

 

"Let go." The brunette took off her shades but Jisoo wasn't fazed at all. "Aren't you going to let go?!"

 

"Ms. Kim Jennie. You know that you have an attitude, don't you? People must have told you all the time."

 

Jennie pulled back her arm harshly and crossed it with the other. She grimaced and shrugged before looking at her straight into the eyes. "So? Is that what you observed from me?"

 

 

Jisoo was tempted to say that's all she could get from her. But she'd be lying if she did. In her eyes, Jennie Kim was also human. She is so... so human.

 

She had seen the younger girl looking lost whenever she stared out from the balcony. It wasn't to enjoy the view but it was as if she was hurt with just seeing the blue sea. She noticed Jennie's frustration for being unable to produce any songs whether she's sitting in front of the piano or strumming her guitar. Those instances made Jisoo think that maybe it was really futile to get the composer out of her writer's block that people who knew her thought could be resolved with a sabbatical leave.

 

She saw Jennie looking as if she wanted to come close to things, pets that were too precious. Then she saw how she'd stop herself each time. Jisoo noticed how the brunette would force herself to frown and walk away from things that were too enjoyable. From things that could make her smile and happy.

 

Jisoo has been observing and knowing a lot of clients, people who came to their company for tours and staycation at Jeju Island. She knew at first sight that the girl in front of her was trouble like somebody who looked like a tough rock to crack. Those somebodies eventually warmed up to sightseeing and fun activities arranged 3 days at most already yet Jennie Kim is different from them.

 

There was definitely some baggage that goes beyond those sullen eyes and curled up positions at night whenever Jisoo checks up on her like Chaeyoung personally requested her to. There was more that Jennie was keeping inside, some secret or pain that she wasn't thinking of cutting loose anytime soon.

 

 

"If I tell you I see something else in you... what will you say?"

 

Jennie didn't blink nor regarded her question for more than three seconds. "You don't know everything about me."

 

"You're right. I don't know everything about you." Jennie nodded and almost looked triumphant so Jisoo continued, "Because I only know you in the worst things probably known to man. I only know that you're hurt and you don't want any help. You think being mean to others, making them feel bad for things will make you feel less bad for yourself. In the past five days, I only know the you who's so angry and resentful at the world. I only know you in the worst parts of you. It's sad and depressing, to be honest, Jennie-ssi."

 

"Well there you go. You think I'm hopeless and I think that what we're doing is just pointless so why don't we just both save ourselves from the trouble? Hm?" She smiled as if she was making a deal. "Just give up and take me back to Seoul. Apparently, my hands are tied and only you or your company decides when I can go home. All thanks to Park Chaeyoung."

 

"I won't."

 

"What? What do you mean you won't?"

 

"I won't take you back there."

 

Jennie let out a disbelief laugh and shook her head. "You just stated all the worst things that man could ever be defined with. And they're all pertaining to me, Jisoo-ssi."

 

"I won't give up on you because I don't believe all of those sums you up, Jennie-ssi." Jisoo smiled and shrugged as her hand gestured at the latter. "And I can't give up on a woman who's already given up on herself and just waiting for the validation that no one wants her around. That's not me."

 

"Who do you think you are?"

 

She hummed before answering, still with a smile on her face, and ignoring the stern gaze sent her way. "I'm a feminist. We strive to survive in this cold cruel world--"

 

"I'm being serious, Kim Jisoo." Jennie approched her, the gap between their faces wasn't huge for the latter to feel the tension in the air. "Just who do you think you are? Who are you then?"

 

 

Jisoo was a lot of things and she could run a list of her expertise that Jennie didn't ask her about. Jennie wasn't ever curious about her, never bringing up questions that implore her to share parts of herself. Even if she's very much willing to. So she just chuckled and shrugged again while the other girl didn't look so amused.

 

 

"I'm just someone who's asking you to stay by my side for awhile."

 

"What?" Jennie raised her eyebrows and Jisoo showed her ID. It made her become more confused but the latter pointed at the card.

 

"Wonder Lily Tours at your service."

 

Jennie scoffed and backed away from her as if she can't take being in close proximity anymore. "I can't ing believe you."

 

"But it's true though. We'll be together for a whole month. It won't even be that long. I'll be out of your hair after this and you don't have to see me again even if you plan to court me afterwards."

 

"I'm not."

 

"Are you sure? Because I've had ex-clients who became my admirers afterwards. Totally a hassle in our business."

 

"Jisoo."

 

"And now we're in first name basis! I'm calling you just Jennie then, Jennie-ssi. Ah! I mean... Jennie."

 

"I swear to god..." Jennie let out an exasperated breath and Jisoo expected her to lash out for going ahead with disregarding the banmal. "Don't you ever shut up?"

 

 

Jisoo wasn't even offended at all. This was pretty much the longest conversation she had with Jennie. She was still being cold but Jisoo felt there was some process. Jennie looked tired. Not just tired for the day but tired of pretending she's okay carrying on the way that she seems to be doing for god knows how long.

 

 

"Just give it a chance. I don't know what you're going through. I don't want to assume but if you want to share then I'll tell you I'm a chest with a key entrusted on you. I won't open up any secrets you have with other people." Jisoo let her words sink in first and didn't give the time for Jennie to intervene. "And if you don't want to... well, we just have to bear with each other for the rest of the month."

 

"You're really sure I'm just going to stay still and bear with it, huh?"

 

"Yup! That's right! I'm sure because one," she suddenly raised up a finger right in front of Jennie's face which made the latter flinch back. "You have no way of contacting people since you threw away your phone and you only get to borrow mine. Two, even if you call or ask them for help, they already think you shouldn't be rescued from a very secure and safe company. And three!" Jisoo exclaimed just as a wide grin tugged her lips up, "You won't be able to get rid of me that easily."

 

 

The two girls stared at each other as if both of them didn't want to lose the staring game. Jisoo kept her grin while Jennie seemed to have given up after some long seconds that felt like hours. She then rolled her eyes and started walking away with the older girl right behind her tracks.

 

 

"Okay, so remember our motto?"

"Carpe Diem or something... something whatever." The brunette looked like she wanted some peace but Jisoo was acting can bring her down. "I don't really care--"

 

"Oho! That's not it! Did you forget? It's..." Jisoo showed the back of her ID where there's some quotation. She was walking backwards and in front of Jennie so the lattet had to stop. "Stay by my side for awhile and smile with me when you do. It's not much."

 

"That's a stupid motto."

 

"I know. I've been convincing Lisa that we change it because it already sounds too cheesy and like some lovesick teenager thought of it."

 

"Who even thinks of that?"

 

"My thoughts exactly." She smiled then pointed at her. "But it's the motto which means you, Jennie Kim, has to follow it too. Smile when you're with me."

 

 

The corner of Jennie's lips tugged up in somewhat a smirk. The sight of it surprised the older one that she wasn't able to move right when Jennie went past her. It almost seemed playful that she was still rooted on her spot as the distance between them increased.

 

 

"I'd like to see you try making me do that, Kim Jisoo."

 

"Is that-- Are you challenging me? Heol!" Jisoo gasped and let out a laugh. She quickly tried to catch up with her client. "Yah! Kim Jennie! Wait for me!"

 

 

 

 

 

=  =  =  =  =

 

 

 

 

 

"What's this? You shouldn't be drinking by yourself."

 

 

Jennie smiled a bit as the husky voice cut through the wind. She heard Jisoo's footsteps, completely becoming accustomed to it especially when the black haired beauty seems to always find her. It's a strange feeling to her. It was as if she was getting used to her and as Jisoo reached her, she didn't even have to force herself into an awkward conversation. It was rather easy instead.

 

 

"Are you going to steal my beer too?"

 

 

Jennie heard the sound of the alcoholic beverage being opened but she didn't say anything else. She got to learn that compared to one person she knew too well, Jisoo made a lot of sounds and reacted too loudly. She was starting to think that she should never really judge a book by its cover. Because Kim Jisoo was far from being feminine and ladylike.

 

 

"Hey. It's not my fault the tangerines you got from that particular tree were sweeter than mine."

 

"Still... you're not that expert in things you told me you are."

 

"Do you know how many trees there were in that plantation?" Jennie just sipped from her can as she went on to defend herself with some explanation. "Almost hundreds of them, Jennie! And there's also dozens of plantation in Jeju! That's like one out of a thousand, no, a million chance that I failed! Okay? That doesn't mean so much!"

 

"Yeah sure. Whatever you say, Jisoo."

 

 

She laughed slightly and glanced at the older girl before turning back at the view of the sea. The dark sea and calm waves hardened her features that she closed her eyes for a bit. She let out a deep breath.

 

 

"What is it? Are you finally seeing how beautiful and calming it is to stare at the ocean?"

 

"Not exactly. It's become my greatest enemy. I hate seeing it since that time."

 

"That time? When?"

 

The brunette chuckled and though it might have been the alcohol pushing her to talk, she tried to stop herself from spilling too much. "Years ago... I lost something precious because of it."

 

"Like Rose from Titanic?" Jisoo's tone was light and Jennie appreciates it whenever she uses it. It doesn't make her feel as if she ought to open up something she buried deep within herself.

 

"Yeah something like that."

 

"So is it like some million dollar necklace or a lover?"

 

Jenni, albeit surprised,  sent a tight lipped smile towards Jisoo. "Take a guess."

 

"I'm going with the expensive accessory. You look like the type to lose some old heirloom and only regrets it now. Since I don't think I've heard of ships sinking." The younger girl let out a laugh, making Jisoo do the same. She stared long and waited until she finished. "Jennie."

 

"Hm?"

 

"You're frustrated with your songwriting and easily annoyed by a lot of things..." She took a pause, "You're heartbroken because you broke up with someone, didn't you?"

 

 

The question caught Jennie's full attention. It would seem as if Jisoo was just guessing around. It was deem to be true when she faced the older girl and saw the glimpse of a smile upon her lips. It wasn't of pity at all.

 

"What?"

 

"Your eyes look lost most the time. You're hurt and in need of healing. It's obvious now more than ever why you're here. In Jeju island." Brown orbs fixated on her almost made Jisoo feel like she probably messed the whole civil relationship she has established with Jennie. "I mean, I get you. All of us gets separated with the person we love. Not even hundreds of plans for the future or unfinished bucketlist could save a relationship."

 

"And you can tell because..?"

 

"Because I had the same look as you the first time I arrived in this place." Jisoo didn't answer that quickly. She took her time too, drinking from her own beer before explaining further. "What do you call it? I had to do some soul searching after my boyfriend and I broke up."

 

"It's easy for you then, I guess. If you agreed so soon in moving on after you broke up."

 

"Nah. Didn't make it easy. I was actually kinda crazy that time. We were childhood friends and practically highschool sweethearts. We're that couple everyone thought would end together forever."

 

 

Jennie stared long at Jisoo. She was trying to figure out the older girl. She was debating about the typical things she's right about Jisoo and facts that she hasn't even imagined.

 

 

"You don't just stare at people as if that could make my mouth move and make me speak. Even telekinesis won't be able to do that." A laugh escaped the younger one's lips while Jisoo remained on full on lecture mode. "You know what, Jennie? This is the part where you ask me, "What happened?" and then I'll shrug it off like it was nothing but if you convince me again, I'll end up sharing it anyway. Then maybe you get to share your story too and I'll also listen--"

 

"You're so chatty." Jennie said in between her laughs for Jisoo's long explanation.

 

"No, I'm simply extra and I'm keeping you entertained. Don't act as if it's not working. You're laughing and it's very effective."

 

 

Jisoo waited for the latter to calm down. It was a nice sound, Jennie laughing and all. She was unconsciously smiling wide because of it.

 

 

The brunette cleared befor saying, "Fine. Jisoo, what happened?"

 

"I'm a very private person." She pursed her lips and pretended to think about things. "But maybe if someone says please..."

 

"Okay then let's not talk about it."

 

"Seriously? I memorized my 5 pages story about my first love here! I prepared for this, you know! How could you?!"

 

 

Jennie was all giggly and Jisoo didn't stop herself from doing the same. It was infectious after all. The brunette then rolled her eyes and supported her chin on top of her hand.

 

 

"Please tell me what happened. I need it for a bedtime story... or for reference."

 

"Okay I'll share my story.  Don't sound so desperate." She faked a deep sigh as if it was a bother to tell her story. She got the feeling Jennie rolled her eyes again but at this point, it was good-naturedly done. "Hanbin and I dated for our whole high school, I mean it was obvious by middle school that we liked each other enough, maybe loved even. Then some things that don't work between us kept increasing. He has his own dreams, I have mine too. He wanted to go all over the world, into the unknown while I prefer being in our mainland."

 

"Differences, you mean?"

 

"Yeah. Could've been nice if we never grow up and change too much right?" Jennie only hummed so Jisoo continued with her sharing, "So we broke up obviously. We weren't talking but we still check upon each other, stalk through social media and I know because our friends told and scolded us about it."

 

"Stalking an ex... yeah, that's a piece of work."

 

"Yah. Don't tease me! One look at you and I could tell you're the type to stalk your ex way too many times each day, Jennie."

 

"Well you're not wrong there. I miss the love of my life all the damn time." Jennie chuckled and made an applause. Yet her eyes were teary and Jisoo wasn't sure if it's just because of the cold wind or of her humor. "So what did you do after that? Did you get back together?"

 

"We tried. I mean he followed me to this place when I said we really need to get down and talk about us and things. It's hard to get over and erase someone from your mind when you know them your whole life." She hummed for a second and shook her head, reminiscing his face and smile that she always loved more than anything before. "It's like erasing pieces of you too."

 

"I know. That's also me with my lover... last lover, I mean. It's like we knew each other forever."

 

 

The two of them became silent after that, both drinking from their cans of beer. Jisoo was indeed talkative but for her it was more like she just speaks out her mind. Jennie was more of the private person that never really opened up yet despite that, despite it not being so obvious... she was starting to warm up to the black haired girl.

 

 

"We met up here in Jeju island and we spent three days together. It's like patching things up, like stitching wounds that would be left raw and open. That no one else could fix or make us recover from." Jisoo took a deep breath and let it all out. "It was actually in this same place, in the backyard of this villa... we talked, fought again and when we calmed down... we talked again for..."

 

Jennie waited for Jisoo to keep going but it was as if the latter knew she was aware of that word to finish the sentence. "Closure."

 

"Yeah. It was that day, you know? I told him," Jisoo took another breath and had to lose it again when she saw Jennie's awaiting eyes. She chuckled first before stating something the lovesick her requested before. "Just one more day. Stay by my side for awhile. Smile with me when you do. It's not much, Kim Hanbin."

 

The brunette then bursted out laughing so loud which made Jisoo perplexed. She tilted her head to the side as Jennie began laughing really hard. "I'm sorry! I just-- omo..."

 

"What? Are you laughing because it sounds so cheesy and romantic?"

 

"Cheesy and romantic... so that person who thought of your company motto..?"

 

"That was me." Jisoo admitted with a laugh too and she really can't find a fault in how Jennie reacted. It sounded too cliché right now even when it seemed right back then to compensate for her hurt. "How long are you going to keep laughing, Jennie?!"

 

"But it's just--"

 

"Is it that funny to ask for one more day from your ex? Huh? Are you laughing because of that?!"

 

"No, of course not, Jisoo--" She raised her voice at the latter but the tears coming from Jennie made Jisoo smile a lot. Even at the current moment. "I'm not laughing because of that. I'm laughing because we're the same but you're just a tad better."

 

"The same what? A cheesy romantic?"

 

"No... I'm not sure. Maybe?" She coughed a bit and shook her head. The trace of laughter still upon her lips yet her eyes looked somber. "I mean... I keep asking for one more day too."

 

Jisoo was speechless for awhile as Jennie opened up another can and gave it to her. "And... and better because of... because of what?"

 

 

There was some wetness in Jennie's cheeks that made the other girl wonder if those were cause by amusement... or something else that made her heart clench for a moment. Even with just Jennie opening a can of beer and looking far and straight ahead, her image was captivating and heartbreaking at the same time. She gave a sideway glance at Jisoo and smiled.

 

 

"You're better because it was actually granted to you. I had nothing." She took a huge gulp and wiped the remnants with the back of her hand. Jisoo started thinking the girl was rather drunk already with the way she drank. "Not an "I'm sorry I can't be with you anymore." or even a simple "I'm sorry I'm leaving you." I had nothing at all. No proper goodbyes. No closure. No way of contacting that person when every call I make are unanswered."

 

"Is she a ghost?" Jisoo asked and she had to watch Jennie swaying from her place. Her hand immediately reached for her. "Yah. I think it's time to stop drinking--"

 

"Is she a ghost? That's funny... if she is then why isn't she showing up to me? I should be able to see her if she's a ghost. Why can't I still see her then?!"

 

"I meant ghost as in because she ghosted you--" Jennie started giggling and whining at the same time that the barely full can almost spilled on them. "Okay, Jennie, you're drunk. I'm taking this away--!"

 

"People call me a drunkard, you know?!"

 

"With three bottles in?!" Jisoo asked with a laugh as the younger one kept that drunken smile and nodded like a puppy. "I doubt it."

 

"Jisoo. I am not drunk."

 

"Yeah yeah talk to my hand you just spilled beer with."

 

"I'm really not drunk yet! Really!"

 

"I'm holding you up and dragging you to your room as you stagger. Fine, you're not drunk--"

 

"Your ex-boyfriend... Kim Hanbin, was it? Did you mean B.I?" She yawned but parted away to stare right into Jisoo's eyes. Their faces were so close and Jisoo felt her hands suddenly being sweaty. "I think I know him."

 

 

Jisoo halted from half carrying Jennie as she mentioned his name in the music industry. Wide eyes and squinting from time to time as she stared at her made her laugh. It was cute how the cold and indifferent Jennie Kim was already off guard with just a few bottles in.

 

 

"Ahh jinja..." Jisoo was smiling widely as she helped the younger one on the stairs. "Did you two get to work together?"

 

"Yeah. We made some good music."

 

"Is that literally or metaphorically--"

 

"Oh my god. Shut up." She received continuous hits on the other shoulder but Jisoo thinks even if it was sober Jennie, the hits won't even hurt one bit. It didn't seem like the latter have enough strength to use. Especially when she's a giggling drunk. "That's impossible! Stop. Joking. Around!"

 

"It could be possible too! If you like the type of guys like him--"

 

"I only ever had one girl in my life, you know!" She cut her off by shouting. When both of them became shocked by her voice, Jennie started laughing a bit again. Her face was red by now. "Chahee... is the love of my life. My first love, my long time girlfriend, my best friend, my fiancée... the only person I have in mind to spend the rest of my life with."

 

"Jennie--"

 

"And now I lost her."

 

 

Jisoo bit her lip. She's okay with hearing other people's story but she feels it wrong to get them when they're drunk. She cleared and avoided Jennie's eyes. She muttered something about getting her inside quickly when Jennie sniffed twice.

 

 

"Go ahead. Comment something."

 

"I don't think you're okay with spilling things when you're drunk. Nor will you remember--"

 

"I know what I said, Jisoo. I'm not that kind of drunk. I told you because... because I want to." She gave her a smile that was so pretty, one that wasn't like the Jennie she knew the first time. "Say something. Anything that says I'm a fool for hoping I'll still be with the person I'm in love with ever since I was 17. It won't be new to me at all."

 

"You're..." The older girl sighed and just kept them from moving forward. "How old are you again?"

 

"26."

 

"That's nine years... wow. And I guess you're..."

 

"Unable to move on from my first love? A pushover? Hopeless romantic?" The raven haired girl whistled which prompted Jennie to giggle again. "That tickles..."

 

"Sorry."

 

"Don't be. It's nice. I'm just sensitive."

 

"You know, I was just gonna say you're gay and I'm glad for that." Jennie started laughing hard again that Jisoo luckily supported herself against the wall. "Seriously, I think we got off the wrong footing here. Why are you still expecting me to make fun of you? You're a so called drunkard who can't even handle 3 cans of beer. I think that's funny alright."

 

 

The two bursted out laughing and Jisoo found the time to just lean back on the wall just a few steps from the brunette's designated room. She let Jennie fall into her arms, laughter vibrating all through out her small body. For awhile, her head was pressed against Jisoo's chest and the steady breathing almost made the older one think Jennie dozed off on her.

 

 

"Hey--"

 

"You're glad?"

 

"Huh?" She looked down just as Jennie did the opposite, their noses only miniscule apart from each other. "What..."

 

"You're glad I'm gay?"

 

"Yeah."

 

Jennie's lips tugged up in a gummy smile and Jisoo felt her heart skipping a beat for it. "Why?"

 

"Because... because that means you like girls." She held her back from her and winked which she knew to be a failure and a funny sight as Jennie let out another laugh. "And I like girls too. We could be compatible."

 

"Oh you think so, don't you, Kim Jisoo-ssi?" The brunette replied in a flirty tone as she leaned closer to her.

 

 

Jisoo could deny her eyes didn't lower themselves at the latter's plump lips. But she couldn't deny how her heart has been beating faster now and how heat has climbed up to her cheeks which both had nothing to do with the alcohol. She gulped at the slight smirk the younger girl was giving her. It was tempting but she wouldn't really kiss someone without their permission. Especially drunk girls who haven't moved on from their exes because god knows what she'd be labeled as in her eyes.

 

 

"Yes. Who knows? I mean..." She simply smiled as she started to guide Jennie towards her room. "We could even fall in love."

 

 

The last steps they took in the master bedroom of the villa were filled with quietness as if the tranquility of the room affected them as well. The carpeted floor lessen the sounds they make that Jisoo almost thought Jennie really fell asleep. The light weight that she was carrying told her otherwise since if she was really asleep, it'll be heavier and much difficult for her to put the brunette on the bed.

 

Jennie got under the thick comforter as Jisoo the lamp. She knew enough that the girl doesn't sleep in a completely dark room and always kept the dim light on. After doing so, she turned back to Jennie who has been silently staring at her the whole time and turning her gaze elsewhere when she looked in her way.

 

 

"You can't fall in love with me, Jisoo."

 

"I like you though." She kept her tone light because it's true that she liked Jennie enough even though that could be anything but romantic. "Why not?"

 

"Just because."

 

"Just because what?"

 

Jennie heaved a breath and faced her again. Instead of looking frustrated, her eyes were soft. "Don't fall in love with someone who's still very... very much in love with someone else."

 

 

Jisoo saw the tears streaming down the latter's face. Her first instinct was to reach for them and to wipe them away but Jennie's hands got to them first. She smiled in a way that made Jisoo's chest ache.

 

 

"Because Chahee is gone... she disappeared from me. But even if I can't see her..." She patted her left chest thrice and Jisoo didn't need anymore words to know. Jennie could be hurt and crying for Chahee but even those aren't enough to make her stop loving the girl. "She's here in my heart. She's always here because I promised her she will be forever. And I don't break my promises."

 

Jisoo nodded solemnly as she just brushed a stray tear from Jennie's cheek. "Okay."

 

 

The brunette gave her somewhat a grateful smile and stared up at the ceiling. She closed her eyes and yet Jisoo stayed rooted at the small spot of the bed where she sat. She breathed out through her nose and Jisoo was nearly asking what seems to be the problem.

 

 

"I'm going to sleep already, Jisoo."

 

 

Jisoo opened to say she knew that but it took a few seconds for its implication. She chuckled and stood up while her hands tucked Jennie in more. The latter's orbs met hers and the older girl smiled just as there was a hint of smile within those lips.

 

 

"I know, you idiot."

 

 

As soon as the black haired girl exited the room, she leaned back on the door. The smile was still on her face and when she realized she had been standing there for the past 10 minutes, she shook her head and started walking towards her own room. As if that helps in calming down the rapid heartbeats she knew she shouldn't have more than ever after her long conversation with Jennie.

 

 

 

 

 

=  =  =  =  =

 

 

 

 

 

Two girls have been walking rather slower than their normal pace. It was more of being exhausted and disheartened for they've been doing so for god knows how long already. Jisoo turned to another corner and it took more time before she saw Jennie's figure following her. She put both her hands on her hips as the brunette caught up with her.

 

 

"Jennie, come on. Cooperate with me. Why do you look so tired already?! This is a fun day!"

 

"We're lost. And we've been in this corner too for the third time. I'm tired of you directing us in circles."

 

"Well do you have better plans?"

 

Jennie shrugged nonchantly, her confident smile appearing like the way they first entered the maze and before Jisoo said she knew how to get them out like the back of her hand. "I could take lead."

 

"Hmm. I don't know about that..."

 

"Why not?!"

 

"You can't even run fast--" Jisoo paused from her teasing as she heard the latter gasp, "and I'm not sure if you can help us beat the other team. You seem to be the type who loses games."

 

"Excuse me?! That's the most inaccurate thing I've heard!"

 

"Yeah... but really--" Jennie cut her off as she took hold of Jisoo's hand and started running. The older girl was almost dragged off in the other direction. "Yah!"

 

"I'll show you, Kim Jisoo. I'll show you! I'm the queen of games! Queen of luck--"

 

"Is that good luck or bad luck?"

 

"Shut it!"

 

 

Jisoo was laughing by the time the younger girl dragged her along the right path. She knew what she was doing even though she had been leading Jennie in the wrong way. What she's been doing is letting Jennie be involved in the game and be competitive, bringing out a side of her that she hasn't seen. She knew that once a very unmotivated girl gets pumped up for something, the day would go alright.

 

 

"Is that the bell, I see?!"

 

"Good job, Jennie. You're not blind."

 

"Oh my god! I swear!!" Jennie glanced back at her as she pulled Jisoo along with her. "Don't you have anything else better to do than tease me?!"

 

"For all we know, you might be the one leading us in the wrong way--"

 

"Heol! As if you're actually the Queen of Navigation or whatever you claim to be without being credible enough."

 

The older girl pulled her hand away from Jennie's grasp and run ahead of her. "Less talking, more running, you idiot!"

 

"Stop calling me idiot! Yah!"

 

"What?!"

 

"Don't go too fast!"

 

"Weakling."

 

"I heard that, Kim Jisoo!"

 

 

Jisoo laughed harder as she was still running and could almost feel they're nearing the exit. She could still hear noisy footsteps when she slowed down for a bit. Just a tad slower to calm her heart from racing. Until Jennie grabbed her hand yet again, surprising her once more.

 

 

"Let's go together, Jisoo-ah!"

 

 

It's not the way Jennie overtook her as Jisoo became the one following behind nor was it the giddy laugh that told her the younger girl was enjoying this tiring run. It's also not the way Jennie still kept their hands clasped even when they finally got to the finish line and rang the bell. Nor was it the way a surge of energy seeped into her body as the younger girl didn't think twice in holding her hand again every time she's excited for something the whole day. It's definitely not the way that Jisoo finds it so easy to smile around Jennie without even thinking about it.

 

Jisoo was surprised for how her heart falters for a second and restarts again whenever Jennie's close to her. What's more surprising is that it wasn't a new instance anymore. Not when it has been happening too many times than she could count.

 

 

 

 

 

=  =  =  =  =

 

 

 

 

 

"You look really sick."

 

"Sickeningly beautiful?" Jennie rolled her eyes for the words the pale girl spouted from her bed. "I know. Thanks."

 

"I can't believe you didn't take a flu shot. Don't you know that's supposed to keep you--" She stopped talking as Jisoo coughed. "See? This is what it's preventing you to do if only you took it."

 

"Mom, is that you? You sound more nagging than usual."

 

"Ha ha."

 

"Are you gonna feed me too? I can't take medicine on an empty stomach, you know." The older one sat up slowly and Jennie helped her.

 

"You can take it, you idiot. But I made you some porridge anyway."

 

 

Jisoo stared long at Jennie then at the tray on her bedside table. She had agape then she threw an accusing look at the latter. Jennie only raised her eyebrows in question.

 

 

"You can cook!"

 

"Who doesn't? Oh... that's right." She bit her lip as if stopping herself from laughing. "You can't."

 

"You watched me make a mess in the kitchen the whole first week because you said--" Jisoo sneezed abruptly, earning a tissue from the younger one. "God... nevermind. You're an , Jennie."

 

"Is that really the way to talk to your client who's taking care of you right now when it should be the other way around?"

 

"Right. Sorry."

 

 

Jisoo tried to reach for the bowl but Jennie got to it first. She watched her scoop and blow on a spoonful before gesturing it towards her. The younger one smiled and she didn't even bother to argue with the treatment. She feels soft and warm with Jennie being like this to her. Or she's just really running on a high fever.

 

 

"It tastes good. Here I thought you pranked me with food but it's nice."

 

Jennie chuckled before rolling her eyes. "And I'm supposed to be an when you think badly of my good intentions."

 

"I'm not forgetting you watched me cut up onions with my eyes close."

 

"I hate cutting onions too, to be honest."

 

"Yeah still... an ." Jisoo was on her 5th spoonful and all the insulting should've pissed Jennie but that wasn't the case. They shared a laugh instead. "I bet you try not to come close to onions too when you cut them."

 

 

By the time the sick girl finished her food and drank her medicine, the brunette helped Jisoo settle in again. She got up and started cleaning up while the other girl tried to stop her. Worried eyes focused all too soon on Jisoo made her forget what she was going to say.

 

 

"Do you need something else?"

 

"Um... just..."

 

Jennie blinked once. "Hm?"

 

"I'm sorry we couldn't get out and do whatever else planned for today."

 

"You're sick, Jisoo. I think you getting better should be prioritized. I don't mind staying in." She smiled and patted her clammy hand. "Besides, I could use the time for work. I have to at least make some new music."

 

"I guess the piano there has been sitting pretty for way too long."

 

"I know."

 

 

Jennie wiped the sweat on Jisoo's forehead gently, the touch so soothing to her. The drowsiness taking over made the image of the brunette blurry. She wasn't sure if she mouthed the words or actually said them which asks Jennie not to leave just yet.

 

 

"I'm not going anywhere, Jisoo..."

 

 

 

 

 

=  =  =  =  =

 

 

 

 

 

The sound of the piano roused Jisoo from her sleep. She opened her eyes and listened for the pausing and playing of music for awhile. It was only when she heard the same part of what woke her up that she realized it must be the new music Jennie have been making for the past three days since she's been sick. It was becoming better than the first time she first woke up to it in the middle of the night.

 

She breathed in deep and slowly, only noticing the towel still pressed on her forehead. She took it away as she started sitting up, smiling at the sight of the basin with water. It reminded her of Jennie's worried face hours ago as she helped keep the fever down. She had been through worse but the brunette fussed over her so much. And being weak... Jisoo didn't protest just so she could get better. Just so she could stop bothering Jennie even when the latter waved her worry off.

 

Feeling much better, she stood up and finally walked out as far as the exit of her room. It didn't feel anymore like she's a human penguin walking where she needed help to keep a straight line. She chuckled at the thought of the younger girl caring so much that she asked to be used like a crutch if Jisoo wanted to take in fresh air.

 

Jennie was writing on a sheet of paper by the time Jisoo was only a few distance from her. She was so absorbed in her work and Jisoo knew this as she could tell by the way her eyebrows scrunch, the way her eyes only look from the instrument and the sheet of paper and the way she doesn't acknowledge things going around her. She watched for awhile as the moon shone bright on the dark sky, casting a shadow of the girl only losing herself into her music... and perhaps finding herself too.

 

Jisoo wasn't sure when it happened, wasn't sure how it happened. She knew it was easy for her to love things especially those that were becoming extraordinary. Things that were becoming special to her in no time at all.

 

In just a span of almost three weeks, she came to know many things that she had grown to love from the musician. She knew that she loves Jennie's smile and yet at the same time, she learned to love even each frown. She knew she loves spending time together with her but she also loves the time she uses to just watch her from afar like the way she's currently doing. She knew she loves Jennie the way that she is, broken and wounded for loving too much, yet at the same time... she was starting to love the thought of being the one to fix her, to mend the scars just to make her whole and completly happy again.

 

 

"It's beautiful." Jisoo spoke once Jennie stopped playing in order to write something again.

 

"It's still unfinished." She replied and only kept staring at the music sheet. "I don't know how to feel about it."

 

"What are you thinking about when you're playing?"

 

"Chahee." It seemed as if the name didn't only hurt Jennie but also the older girl who was standing closer to her now. "The songs I make are always about her. Maybe that's the reason all of them sound sad and depressing. I feel stuck. It still hurts whenever I think of us and what could be us now if only..."

 

 

Jennie seemed to be okay sharing about her love life but now that she was... Jisoo didn't didn't feel well with hearing it anymore. She started pressing on the lowest key in the piano, relating to its hollow sound. Jennie didn't seem to mind her in doing so. They've become comfortable enough that they don't complain about invaded space. And Jisoo intervening and constantly pressing down what must be a tiring sound still made Jennie unbothered.

 

 

"Do you want to move on?" Jisoo simply asked.

 

"What?" Jennie stopped her one finger from making a noise. Their eyes met after long moments of Jisoo staring at their hands touching. "What did you just say?"

 

"Do you want to move on, Jennie?"

 

 

Jisoo's question being repeated in the stillness of the room seemed to have caused Jennie's eyes to widen by a fraction. She turned her hand up, palm facing the latter's, and stared at it once more. She felt the brunette's eyes on it too after what seemed like forever.

 

 

"Isn't moving on from Chahee the answer to all your problems?"

 

"What..."

 

"If you want to stop making all those sad songs, if you want to stop feeling stuck, to stop hurting as if your heart will never be the same again..." Jisoo stared straight into those orbs only focused on her now. She inhaled deeply, preparing herself from the worst. "Let me be your rebound."

 

 

Jennie could lash out, could say mean things about her minding her own business. Instead there was only them staring at each other's eyes. Staring at each other as if they both hold answers at the same time. When the younger girl broke contact, Jisoo prepared herself to be rejected. To be pushed away and maybe even drop the sabbatical leave just to get rid of her.

 

 

"Okay."

 

Jisoo blinked thrice. "Okay..?"

 

"I... I want to try. At least try. I want to try... moving on, Jisoo. I've been in love with her for so long." She clasped their fingers together and gave a small smile. A smile that still paints her melancholia so well. "But I'm telling you... it might be impossible."

 

Jisoo squeezed the brunette's hand. She smiled slowly and replied in a soft voice. "I'm helping you move on, Jennie. I'm not asking you to fall in love with me. That could probably be the impossible one."

 

 

Asking someone to fall in love with you is something Jisoo knows for sure to be quite impossible. Even if you request so nicely, even if you give them the most expensive gifts, even if you win every competition, become the most invincible person existing in the world... falling in love is always up to a person's heart. That can't be help nor can the heart ever be dictated.

 

If only Jisoo could... she probably wouldn't resort to becoming a temporary fix for Jennie just to feel even a bit of her love.

 

 

 

 

 

=  =  =  =  =

 

 

 

 

 

There were two opposite figures standing on top of the platform. Jennie had exhausted herself on their way up yet Jisoo felt like her heart already stopped once they reached the top. Literally. She kept her eyes away from the sight below her, probably a thousand feet in her eyes. Her legs were shaking and despite being so long in the job, Kim Jisoo was never one to join her clients with activities that include way too far above the ground. She doesn't like the heights.

 

Jisoo never liked those activities in the skies but she likes Jennie. She wouldn't bear and suffer through ziplining for her clients but Jennie wasn't just a client. Her legs were trembling as the brunette watched her hold tight on the railing in a complete gear for taking off in just a few moments.

 

 

"For someone who claims she's an expert with a lot of things... you look like you're going through hell." Jennie's smile was teasing but she appraised the older one with her sharp catlike eyes.

 

"Unfortunately for you, many people would say this angelic face of mine doesn't belong in hell." Jisoo was too busy keeping her words be nice and clear even when she was gritting her teeth. "So, no, I don't have expertise in being in hell."

 

"Jisoo, are you scared?"

 

"Pfft! No! Why would you think I'm scared?!"

 

"You look like you are."

 

"I'm not scary." She replied in English which made the younger girl stunned in her place. There was another second before Jennie giggled. "It's true!"

 

"Yes, you're not scary. But you're obviously scared."

 

 

Jennie became the end of another frown but she returned it all too well with her gorgeous smile. It was kind of childish for Jisoo to keep thinking about words that best fit the smiles Jennie has. It almost made her forget that she would be hanging in air with a small chance of her not making it to the other side.

 

 

Jisoo gulped hard and crept behind Jennie as they were set to go off at the same time. "What if I stop midway and I won't be able to move on?"

 

"For someone who assured me I was doing the right thing with trying to move on and that stopping by the first day will only be a waste--"

 

"I know. I know. I know what I said!"

 

 

The younger girl didn't have to do her dirty like this, using her own words and turning it into her own disadvantage. She wonders if Jennie will start using cheesy lines on her too the way that she does just to make the latter laugh. She could tell she had been rubbing on the girl bit by bit.

 

Jennie chuckled at the whine Jisoo let out. To her surprise, the younger girl reached for her hand as the men behind them helped them up into starting the adrenaline inducing activity. As if a simple hand holding and gummy smile from Jennie weren't enough to make Jisoo both want to fight for her and take flight from her. The adrenaline rush barely pushing for Jisoo to lose her sense of thinking. Though her ears and sense of touch were still wired with everything that is Jennie.

 

 

Jennie squeezed her hand and winked so fast and perfectly. "Just hold my hand and trust me."

 

"That's my line, you idiot!"

 

 

As they moved through air, Jisoo didn't mind anymore how many times she screamed. She knew how many times she whined loudly and blamed Jennie for requesting the longest route available. She knew how many times she kept her eyes shut, how many times she closed them only to make herself stop doing so.

 

One.

 

Two.

 

Three.

 

By the third time, Jisoo didn't mind being several feets off the ground... she was feeling high. By the last time, her screams dwindled down to hear the joyous laughter coming from the brunette. By the last look she sent Jennie's way, she could've sworn it was the one she'll keep in her memories instead of the astounding view around her.

 

When the ride was all over, Jisoo knew she couldn't manage to stop staring at Jennie like a lovesick fool. She knew it was pointless at this point. She knew she had fallen hard and at the point of no return even if she stops midway.

 

Every time Jennie holds her hand and hugs her, she was falling for a girl who's still in love with someone else. And she can't even bring herself to pull back or let go. Not at this point, not at the point where she could both move forward and fall back with each day that passes by.

 

 

 

 

 

=  =  =  =  =

 

 

 

 

 

Jisoo should'v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter