✎ Chapter 25: Red Carnations ✎

Love Me Not || 엑소 세훈
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"(Y/n)'s stable right now but..."

Sehun blinked away his sleepiness, fully awake when he heard your name. He quickly stood up and went to your mother, who's talking to the doctor assigned to you.

"...even if you do the operation right now, I can't assure her survival." Dr. Zhang slightly bowed his head, deeply sorry for what you had to get through. "It's been too long since the tumor grew, spreading in various parts of her brain and spinal chord." He looked at your mother with solemn eyes, glancing at the young man behind her.

"I remember that it was 6 months ago when she figured about her condition." Dr. Zhang said, causing Sehun to look away sadly. "She told me she was getting dizzy and her heart keeps on beating painfully. She said that it started months ago. She had multiple tests and check-ups every week, only to know that she's already too late." His hands gripping on the clipboard tighter, showing that he's having a hard time not to let his emotions show. "We'll be checking her condition often and keep you updated."

Dr. Zhang Yixing has been your family doctor since you were a kid. He does every check-up on you and your siblings whenever someone gets a cold or sickness. He was a close friend of your father too, working at the same hospital.

It's painful for him to see you getting worse day by day.

"We knew it was coming but I didn't know it'll be this fast..." Ga-in cried as Dr. Zhang gently patted her shoulder.

"She endured it long enough, Ga-in. I don't want to say this but she needs to rest."

Sehun felt enraged by what Dr. Zhang said, his hands tightly forming into fists as he kept himself calm. A hand grabbed his shoulder and faced him.

"Bro, let's eat breakfast downstairs. Chanhee's already there." Chanyeol glanced at his mother, crying as she sat on the bench. Dr. Zhang comforted the older woman, rubbing her back as he tried consoling her. "You can go ahead at the canteen, I'll wait for mom."

Sehun complied, knowing Chanyeol would just force him to go down and eat. It has only been 10 hours since you've got admitted to the hospital. He hasn't eaten a single thing since he saw you get taken inside the emergency room.

He can't calm down.

"Oppa?"

Sehun shook his head as he looked up at Chanhee, who's eating cup noodles. Her eyes were no different to his, red and puffy from crying and lack of sleep. He's not the only one who's suffering and hurting.

"Yeah?" Sehun tried smiling at her but his eyes gave him away.

Chanhee looked down at her cup noodles as she sighed, stirring the contents with a small fork.

"You know about unnie's condition, right?"

"Yes." Sehun breathed out as he looked at the window beside him. The trees were swaying with the wind as usual, people are busy everywhere, cars beeping and swiftly passing each other.

Everything was the same for everyone.

"If you knew," She looked up at Sehun with glistening eyes. "why'd you still love her?"

Sehun's lips curled up into a smile, not the ones that can melt girls hearts nor the one that can kill you.

It's a smile that can break your heart.

A painful one.

"I-I actually ask that to myself too, a lot of times already." Sehun mumbled, his voice cracking at the end. His emotions couldn't be controlled right now. He can't get himself together, knowing you can leave him anytime and that'll hurt big time.

"But I really don't need to ask that to myself..."

"Why?" She asked, almost like a whisper but still audible. Chanhee's eyes filled with tears, seeing how the strong young man stared into hers with his tearful eyes. The guy she admired for being popular and happy-go-lucky one was crying for the nth time for her sister.

"...because I know the answer to that already." Sehun looked down at his untouched soup. "Why do I love her? Why am I still sticking onto her when I know she'll go away? Why do I still find myself getting deeper into that danger zone of hers? W-Why..." His tears slowly flowed on his pale cheeks, his lips pursing into a line as he tried not to sob in front of your sister.

"Why can't I stop loving her?"

"It all falls to the same answer." Sehun shook his head as he let his tears fall. "That's because I'm so in love with her that I can't do anything about it."

The silence that filled between the two was deafening.

They don't know how long they were staring off into a blank space when Chanyeol and your mother came.

"Have you two eaten already?" Ga-in asked with her usual soft voice, sitting beside Chanhee. Her gaze drifted towards Sehun's bowl of soup. "You haven't, Sehun-ah."

Chanyeol put his mother's meal in front of her before looking at his best friend to his sister.

"Hey." He called Sehun, slightly nudging his shoulders. "Bro."

"I-I'm sorry. I just don't have the appetite to eat right now."

Sehun stood up before slightly bowing as he took his tray and went to the segregation of plates and bowls, wasting the cold soup he ordered. He walked out of the canteen and went back to the emergency room, sitting at the bench he sat on earlier.

He saw your father coming out of the room and quickly stood up. In Sung noticed the young man and went to him.

"Sehun-ssi."

"Can I see her, Mr. Park?" Sehun asked with pleading eyes, his voice desperate and hopeless.

Your father stared at him for a while, observing how the young man's eyes glisten with tears and forlorn. Even though he still has to talk with him about your relationship, he knows Sehun truly feels a lot for you.

"Follow me."

After a few floors up, he turned to a corner and faced a door.

| Room 461 |

"I'll let you alone for a while. I need to do something at the office. I'll contact my wife to let them know you're here." In Sung said, taking a last glance at your door before walking away, leaving Sehun staring at the door in front of him.

His hand touched the knob, slowly twisting it after breathing out a sigh. The door creaked, causing Sehun to slightly cringe as he thought of waking you up. He quickly went inside and closed the door. He saw a glimpse of you when he opened the door and it pierced through his heart seeing you lying down on the bed lifelessly.

He couldn't bring himself to turn around.

"Noona..." Sehun mumbled as he stared at the door, his feet itching to turn and head towards you. He took a deep breath before walking to your bed, his eyes getting blurry as he saw you.

Several needles were painfully piercing in your skin, an oxygen mask resting on top of you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter