Release from prison

Ex-convict

He was staring at the beds of flowers and felt sorry that he couldn't attend to them anymore. He had started gardening after he has completed his barista course. The beds of amaryllis, daffodil, dahlia and gerbera were all looking so fresh and healthy under his hands. He smile while telling them to take care of themselves under another pair of  hands. 

He would be released from prison the following day and under parole for 3 months. Cho Kyuhyun was sentence to 2 years jail for a crime he didn't commit. He was at the wrong place and at the wrong time and was just there helping his friend without knowing that his friend stole something from the electronic shop. When the security guard ran after them, his friend passed him the stolen goods and fled, leaving poor Kyuhyun to face the consequences. 

He had no money to engage a lawyer and his family didn't believe him that he was innocent. His thieve friend didn't even show up and so he had to rot in jail. But due to good conduct, he had an early release. During his jail term, only his close friend and high school classmate, Ryeowook, came to visit him regularly and encourage him to take up meaningful courses which could help him after his release. 

It was Ryeowook's idea to take up the barista course. He told Kyuhyun that he could get him a job at his boyfriend's cafe as a barista. Kyuhyun is actually a game creator and very good at creating game strategies, but he has no means to pursuit his love to create online games in the prison. So he would get a job as a barista while pursuing his interest along the way. 

Ryeowook was waiting for Kyuhyun on the day of his release, outside the prison. They hugged and Ryeowook praised him for his good conduct and managed to earn an early release. After saying goodbye to Kyuhyun's parole officer, Ryeowook drove off to introduce Kyuhyun to his boyfriend. He told Kyuhyun that he could stay in the café's attic which have a decent space for a bed, sofa, bathroom and a laptop.  Kyuhyun was thankful for Ryeowook's help and vowed that he would earn a decent living and be a good barista. 

"Don't worry Kyu, you can still pursue your dream of creating online games after the café closed or on your off days. Yesung hyung has an extra laptop and he let you use it as and when you need it". 

"I really don't know what to say. Thank you Wook, and I will thank Yesung hyung later". 

"If you managed to create a game, let me know, I can introduce it to my boss so that he can be your sponsor". 

"I cannot promise anything, Wook." I have a lot of ideas but haven't touch computers for 2 years. I need to catch up and practice ". 

" Of course, don't worry about it. Okayy, here we are. This is Mouse Rabbit Cafe. Come, let's meet Yesung hyung". 

Mouse Rabbit Cafe is nice and the owner, Yesung hyung, is very friendly. He welcome Kyuhyun like an old friend, and Kyuhyun wondered was it all because of Ryeowook. People wouldn't be that nice to ex-convict like him, would they? 

He was told that he could start work immediately as Yesung's current barista, named Henry, has to leave to start his university life. Henry agreed to work twice weekly, though, Friday and Saturday, so these 2 days would be Kyuhyun's off days. 

Yesung's younger brother, Jongjin, showed Kyuhyun the attic room, and were given about 5 sets of the barista uniform. Jongjin said that there were some change of clothes too, but the pants probably a bit short, as Kyuhyun is tall. Kyuhyun  thank him and said that he would be down soon, after he change to the uniform. 

The room was cosy and warm, and he liked it. He vowed to be a good worker to prove to Yesung hyung that he is not a criminal. He hope that  one day he could clear his name and not labelled as ex-convict. Ryeowook came up and informed him that he had message Kyuhyun’s parole officer regarding where he is staying. Ryeowook also told him that he would get Kyuhyun a cell phone tomorrow. 

"Wook, you are my true friend and my life saviour. I don't know what I will do without you." 

"Heyyy, be positive! Don't think about your past or anything else. Work for your future, ok. And yes, I always believe in you" Ryeowook said smiling warmly. 

"Thanks Wook" 

"You're welcome and go change, we have lunch and then you can start work". 

"Lunch? I don't have money to pay for lunch".. 

"It's on the house! But only sandwiches, sorry.." 

"I eat anything, beggars can't be choosy".. 

Kyuhyun had started working for a few days and Yesung loved the way he mixed the coffees. He found Kyuhyun to be innovative and would give some suggestion to the customers to make the taste better. So far, most customers were happy about it and praise Yesung for having this new barista. And on top of that, Kyuhyun was charming and handsome, most lady customers came back everyday just to order coffee from him. 

While they were having lunch a few days later, Ryeowook was telling Yesung about Kyuhyun's idea to start online ordering and delivery. It could boost sales because the people working around here love coffee. Kyuhyun said that he's willing to do the delivery, during off peak period, when the cafe is less crowded, and create the online portal for Yesung. Jongjin jumped in and said he would help Kyuhyun and Yesung was impressed and happy about Kyuhyun's idea, and told him to go for it. 

"Boss, I'm collecting orders for coffee tomorrow morning, do you want to order too?" Ryeowook asked his boss, Lee Sungmin one fine evening. Mouse Rabbit had just launch its online portal and customers could now order online. 

"Is it good? I'm very choosy about the drink that I want, you know" Sungmin said. Lee Sungmin is the head of Software Distributor in his father's company and he has a team under him, which include Ryeowook. 

"Well, most of the time, customers praise this new barista at Mouse Rabbit, and you can specify the drink that you want, the barista will mix it for you" 

"Hmm, ok, can you add mine? Caramel latte but not too sweet, and add cocoa powder".

"Got it! It will be delivered tomorrow morning at your desk, personally by the barista himself". 

"How many orders did you have? If the coffee is to my liking, I will pay for all" 

"Wow, ok, so far I have 8 orders, including yours". 

"Ok, we'll see tomorrow!" 

"Thanks, boss". 

Sungmin got annoyed when he got a call from this certain someone early next morning. He only entertained her for his father's sake, and he can't wait to get her off his back. 

"Saeun, I told you not to call me in the office. I'm very busy. And no, I can't meet you for lunch".  There's a knock on his door and he shouted "come in". 

A tall guy walked in, bowing along the way and put a tall cup on his table. He bowed again and turned but Sungmin stopped him. "Hold on, don't go yet".  Then he talked again to the annoying person on the other line "I'm very busy so I will put down the phone".

"Haiz, sorry, is it ok if i try your drink first? I told my staff if it's good, I will pay for all". 

"Sure, err Mr Lee, right? Careful, the latte is hot" Kyuhyun said politely. 

Sungmin smile and opened the cover. The aroma was good and he blew the latte a bit before started with a few sips. It was really good, in fact was beyond his expectations. He gave a thumbs up at Kyuhyun. 

"How do I address you?" 

"I'm Kyuhyun, Mr Lee" 

"Ok Kyuhyun, I will pay for all. Can you bring this same latte to me every morning?" 

"Monday to Friday? Sure Mr Lee" he wanted to say that he is off on Friday, but well, this is Yesung's customer, so he will just deliver it during his off days too. When Sungmin paid him, he noticed that it was more than the actual total. "Mr Lee, you gave me 10,000Won more, here I returned you back the extra". 

"No, please, take it. Use it for this week" 

"It's still more than enough Mr Lee". 

"Take it as your tip then". And when Kyuhyun still hesitated, Sungmin said "I really like the taste. Not many barista can do the exact taste that I like. Take the tip, it's sincerely from me". 

"Thank you, Mr Lee. I will make my move then"  Kyuhyun bow again, and walked towards the door. 

"Kyuhyun, I want you to deliver my coffee, not any other person". 

"Yes, Mr Lee". 

Kyuhyun told Ryeowook that his boss paid for everything, and Ryeowook high-five with another colleague which he got to know as Shindong. Ryeowook pat Kyuhyun's shoulder and told him well done. Kyuhyun wave goodbye and left the office. 

Sungmin was in awe. A gorgeous and handsome barista who could make a perfect latte for him. On second thoughts, maybe I should just go to Mouse Rabbit every morning to see him, errr I mean to drink the latte... Sungmin was smiling and talking to himself..