Rookie Doctor, Best Doctor

Mad Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


Leaving the penitentiary, I still had a smile on my face. All the worries I had about Taeyeon being angry with me had just gone away. I was relieved to see we were getting along well. Not as well as I wanted to, truth to be told, but it was a start.


 

My eyes quickly met with Officer Chanyeol's at the yard. I could see his expression changed from a carefree one to a resentful. He said something to Baekhyun and both of them left their spot going somewhere else. I blinked feeling I little awkward; it doesn't take a genius to realize he was kind upset with me.


 

Trying not to be all sensitive for it, I looked around the gardens searching for familiar faces. Shyly, I smiled when I've spotted Irene talking with another blonde girl. They seemed to be quite close so I assumed that inmate was her friend Wendy.


 

Irene smiled and waved at me when she saw me.


 

“Hm, Doctor Hwang?” I heard a voice behind me. I turned around to see who was it and I instantly recognized Choi Sooyoung.


 

“Oh, Hi, Miss Choi. How you doing?” I greeted her with an eye smile.


 

“Good.” She nodded. I frowned when she turned her head both ways to see if anyone could be hearing us and upon seeing we were all good, she stepped closer. “I'm still waiting.” She whispered.


 

“Waiting?” I asked not sure of what she was talking about.


 

“For my bibimbap.”


 

My eyes got bigger for a second. I've totally forgotten about that! I had promised Sooyoung to give her food if she told me more about Taeyeon but it turned out I didn't. It has been a week since that day and Sooyoung is yet to see the meal.


 


 

“I... I'm sorry, Miss Choi.” And I really was. Besides, I don't really think I could bring food from outside and give it to residents. The Asylum is very strict about the inmates' diets. Even us, the doctors, have our meals in the Medical Center's refectory. The inmates shall not have any food other than what is already served in the canteen. “But the Asylum have rules and...”


 

“Are you ing kidding me?” I looked away feeling uncomfortable as her voice was filled with anger.


 

“I...”


 

“You've told me you'd give me food! Proper food! I told you what you wanted to know and that's how you pay me?” I felt bad at myself.


 

“I can give you money if you want to.” I said suddenly, not really thinking straight. She snorted.


 

“Why would I want money in this hole? Could I buy food?” I've got silent. “I don't wanna eat the ing blob they serve here, Doctor Hwang, I want food! My food! The food you said you would give it to me!”


 

“I'm sorry, Miss Choi, but I can't give you what I promised. It was my mistake offering this to you and I apologize.”


 

“Apologize?” Her angry voice muffled as she chuckled. “Apologize? If apologies were a valid payment everyone here would be Bill Gates, Doctor!”


 

“I'm really sorry.” I apologized again.


 

“No, you're not.” She blurted out. “You don't care about me. You don't care about the fact I told you information that you're not supposed to know! You just care about yourself!” I've got offended. “You just care for having the information about your patient so you could flatter yourself for all the other doctors around here how a ing good doctor you are!”


 

“That's not true!”


 

“Of course it is! Doctor Stephanie Hwang, the doctor who cured Kim Taeyeon! Imagine that, right? It's a prestige indeed. No other doctor could help that midget, but you....Haha, you think you have what it takes to be the one!” I gnawed my teeth, a bit angrily for what she was implying. “That's what you want to achieve.... The fame for being the doctor who helped her. And you would do anything to do it so, even to put someone else's life in danger!”


 

“That's a lie!”


 

“I'm kinda glad I really didn't tell you everything. And you know what? Maybe this is the reason why Taeyeon lies all the time. She knows you doctors can not be trusted!” I've lost the ability to speak for a while as her words kept hurting me. “But now I know. I've learned my lesson. Doctors can not be trusted. You can not be trusted!” She stepped back, her eyes still all fiery. “Don't count on me next time, Doctor Hwang. You can rot for all I care!” As she turned her back to me.


 


 

My eyes started to burn and I realized I was about to cry. No, Tiffany! Not here.


 

I didn't want anyone to see me like that, so I decided to leave the garden and go to my office.


 

~~*~~


 

“Get hold of yourself, Tiffany!”I told myself, wiping my eyes with a tissue. Sooyoung's words hurt me more than I thought. I was ashamed with myself I gotta admit. The fact I didn't do what I have promised her, heck I didn't even bother to try do it in the first place, was something I was not proud of! I am not her doctor and I don't own her good will, but I reckon it was a dickish move from me. I deliberately bribed and inmate for information but never really took it far enough to comply it. It was really selfish of me.


 

I wiped another tear when I heard a knock on the door. When I opened, my eyes enlarged for I saw Yoona. Oh, . Has Sooyoung told her what happened?


 

“Sorry to disturb you, Tiffany.” She said with a gentle smile.


 

“It's alright.” I muttered feeling even more ashamed of myself.


 

“Sooyoung is a bit distressed today. Do you know what happened by any chance?”


 

“Why would I know?” God, that was rude. I had no idea why I was behaving like that. I was really sorry for what happened and yet I was pretending I didn't know a thing. What a child you are, Tiffany Hwang!


 

“Maybe the talk you had left her a little bit uncomfortable?”


 

I've got quiet. I didn't know what to say.


 

“What did you guys talk about?”


 

How I was so ing selfish. “Kim Taeyeon.” I answered instead.


 

Yoona nodded her head. Her gentle eyes quickly became serious and a fierce expression took over her face. “I'm sorry, Tiffany, but I ask you to not disturb my patient with any concern you might have regarding Kim Taeyeon anymore.” I gulped feeling even more ashamed. If that was possible. “Try talk to your own patient next time. Please leave Sooyoung alone.”


 

I felt like a student scolded by her teacher. The utter feeling of embarrassment was too much to handle.


 

“I'm sorry.” I apologized. “I won't disturb Sooyoung anymore.”


 

“Thank you. And thank you for your time.”


 

Yoona got back to her office leaving me to die in my shame.


 

I sighed.


 

. How come every time I try yo be good I mess something up? When I was good with Irene, I messed up with Taeyeon. Now I was good with Taeyeon but messed up with Sooyoung and Yoona... God, why was so hard to be at peace with everybody else?


 

I shook my head trying to get rid of those thoughts. My session with Irene was due to start and I couldn't have those feelings in the way.


 

~~*~~


 

“A regular white mocha, please.” I ordered. It was ten past 7 in the morning and I was having my usual coffee before heading to the Asylum. My eyes glued to the macaroons on the silver tray next to the cashier. I was still hurt by what I did to Sooyoung and I was willing to mitigate the stain in our relationship. I couldn't smuggle bibimbap in but maybe something smaller wouldn't be so hard. I could lie to security those pastries were for me. I've seen some officers having some snacks they brought in, maybe I could do the same. Yoona said she was Sooyoung's doctor for about two years. If Choi had not have any other doctor besides Yoona herself, so it's been two years she is eating the asylum's 'blob'. A couple years of distasteful food would make you miss even the smallest proper food in the world. So I hoped some macaroons could make us be in good terms again. “And three chocolate macaroons, please.” I added before payment.


 

I wrapped them in white napkins and placed them in my bag.


 

~~*~~


 

“You don't need to shout, officer.” I said as I was back to the Intensive Care unit in the penitentiary. Taeyeon decided to stay indoors again this morning and I again decided to give her a visit.


 

As the officers opened the heavy door, I found her asleep again. She was on her stomach and I could notice some drool on the pillow.


 

“Leave us, please.” I said lowering my voice. They looked at each other and taking a couple of seconds, they finally left.


 

My eyes looked back towards her. Some of the hair was on her face but that didn't disturb her at all, as she was sleeping quite deeply. I took some time to look around her cell. It was small, only having the single bed – placed on the right next to the wall-, a cubicle for the loo in the far left and a shelf between them where she kept some all her belongings. The ''all'' of her belongings being just her notepads, the bright orange uniform, some puzzle toys and books. I couldn't help a smile when I recognized the covers of the Harry Potter book series. So she likes reading phantasy books, huh? Interesting. She really surprises me day by day.


 

In the shelf below, there was an orange plastic bottle labeled XYZ 999. It was her medication. As stated by Dr. Young, that medication has some side effects, one of them being sleepiness. Was that why Taeyeon had been sleeping all morning for the past few days? According to her files she needed to take three pills daily, I honestly thought that was quite a lot. But again, I have never really seen her rage outbursts so if her previous doctor demanded her to take three pills, three pills it is.


 

''In the end you're just like Dr. Young, isn't it?'' I frowned as I remembered Taeyeon's words. ''If your helps are the likes of Dr.Young's I rather not.'' Irene's words now were the one coming back to my mind.


 

I know it is natural for patients don't have sympathetic feelings towards their doctors but the way they talked about him makes me ponder who Dr. Young is and how he dealt with their issues. Were they right? I mean, I shouldn't question his methods as he is likely more experienced than I am...''So what's the point of our little chat, Doc? If you rather listen to others than me.''


 

He misdiagnosed Taeyeon's pathological lying. Wouldn't he misdiagnose the amount of medication she should take as well? Overdose is a freaking serious topic and it can culminate to toxicity or in extreme occasions even death itself.


 

“Will you throw that away?” I heard a voice and turned my head towards it. She was still on bed, her eyes were smaller than usual due sleep but I still could see the bright gleam of brown in her eyes.


 

“I can't throw your medication away.” I replied. She shifted her body, now laying on her back, and closed her eyes again.


 

“Of course you can. You're my doctor.”


 

A smile appeared on my face. “How long you've been taking three pills?” I asked getting closer to her bed.


Please Subscribe to read the full chapter