The Resident

Mad Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The picture clipped with the papers was completely outdated; proved by Kim Taeyeon's actual long dark hair instead of the medium blonde of the frame. She also have lost some weight as her cheekbones were a bit more prominent now than before and the baggy orange outfit of the Asylum made her look even skinnier than she actually was.


 

Surprisingly, Kim Taeyeon had vivid brown eyes. I kinda expected the residents to look sick or some sort of depressed because usually that's what happens when someone is in a place like this Asylum for so long; they lose hope, and their eyes only show the true state of their souls: isolation, depression, anger; sometimes only emptiness is there. But her eyes weren't showing any of these signs, no, there was a bit of curiosity and innocence in there. Her eyes, big and childish were endearing and actually almost, welcoming. She didn't look like a criminal at all! I shook my head. Never in my lifetime, I could dream that such a petite woman would belong to an Intensive Care Unit from a mental health penitentiary. I know that me being a psychotherapist, I shouldn't be fooled by looks as it easily could mask the mind of oneself, however at the same time I couldn't help feeling surprised whenever that happened.

My eyes glanced at the files above my desk, scanning the basic information about my first patient. I've already read some of the papers but I took a second skim just to memorize the overall information.


 

Name: Kim Taeyeon. Age 26.

Born in March, 09, 1989.

Hometown: North Jeolla, Jeonju.

Country: South Korea.


Marital Status: Single.


Crimes of Choice:

- Several Murderousness


Diagnosis:

- Shows signs of exclusion/isolation

- Pathological lying

- Severe episodes of violence if provoked anger


 

“Hello, Doctor.” I heard the woman greetings again.


 

“Hello, Miss Kim.” I greeted her back. Doing it so I bowed my head and when I saw the two officers frowning in confusion I knew I shouldn't have done that. I am used to bow in respect to everyone in South Korea that I just did it to a criminal. A psychotic criminal, mind you. What's the best way to start the job? Not doing what I just did.


 

“You've got yourself a brand new face, huh?” “Much improved, I dare to say.” The woman said jokingly. I blinked before giving her a smile.


 

“I'm your new psychotherapist, Miss Kim. I'm here taking the vacancy left by Doctor Young.” I cared to explain. By the looks, it seemed Kim Taeyeon was in good humour. That was a good sign, maybe she would cooperate easily.


 

“What happened to him?”


 

“He quit.”


 

“He sure did.” She said that with a grin giving me an impression that she knew more than she was saying.


 

“Do you know anything about it?” I asked frowning my eyebrows.


 

“About what?


 

“Why Dr Young quit?”


 

“Probably because he was not helping.” Taeyeon answered nonchalantly. “Isn't this why you are here, Doctor? To help me?” The last part came as a whisper.


 

“Yes, we're all here to help, Miss Kim.”


 

“Good.” She smiled warmly.


 

“Do you request us to stay with you in the office, Doctor Hwang?” One of the officers asked me. He was tall and had a short jet black hair. I could read the name Lee Sungmin written in the tag located above his right chest.


 

The General Supervisor and warden of this place, Ho Sung, told me that if I was feeling uncomfortable and afraid of the patients' hostility, I could request officers to stay inside the office during the session to protect me from any harm.

I didn't know what would be the best approach. I didn't have any guards with me while dealing with my patients back at my former job, so having them there it would be a little awkward for me. Maybe even for the patient. What could guarantee me that she will tell me everything when those officers are around? Wouldn't they inhibit her behavior and manners? Also Kim Taeyeon's hands were cuffed and would still be cuffed by the entire course of the session, and I don't think she could be able to resort to violence with her hands like that.


 

“I don't think it's necessary, officer.” I quickly dismissed.


 

“Are you sure, Doctor?”


 

“Well, my sessions used to be private and I'd be more confident if they remain it like so. It would also be more comfortable to the resident I presume…”


 

“I like you, Doc. May I call you Doc, Doc?”


 

I nodded. Most of the children at the hospital called me that way so I was used to be called Doc all the time. It didn't bother me at all. “You may.”


 

“I really like you, Doc.” Her smile grew wider.


 

“I tell you, Doctor, dealing with these ing mentals can be tough.” Lee Sungmin tried once again.


 

“Well, you would still be outside my office, no?” At least I hoped so. Although I didn't wanted them in my office, I'd like to have them near it if something goes wrong and the patient becomes violent.


 

“Yes, ma'am.”


 

“So, there's no need to be worried. In case of an emergency, I'll call you right away.” I said relieved.


 

“As you wish, Doctor.”


 

“Thank you, Officer Lee.” I nodded in gratitude.


 

“No problem, Doctor Hwang.” Both officers bowed their heads as they were ready to leave the office. However, the voice of a joyful Kim Taeyeon prevented them to do it so.


 

“How's your wife, Mr. Lee?” She asked with a smile. Her voice was cheerful and interesting. She definitely was in good humor.


 

Officer Sungmin however, turned his head not really pleasant. “Shut up, Kim!”


 

She didn't.


 

“I heard she's got the leading role of a very famous musical...That's lovely! I love musicals you know...People always told me I have the talents to sing...in any case, cheers for her. I'm very happy. Proud even!” She said excitedly.


 

“Just shut up!”


 

“What's her name again? Saeun? Please..tell her I do hope she breaks a leg!”


 

I flinched in shock as, out of blue, Lee Sungmin pulled Taeyeon's hair and hit her head hard against the desk. “SHUT THE UP, YOU FREAK!”


 

“Officer, I'm sorry but I strongly recommend you to not do this with the patient!” Was he ing insane? Residing in violent acts would only make those people get worse. Especially someone who's diagnosed with anger issues. Needless to say, insane people becoming violent was way more threatening than normal people. That man...does he wanna die?


 

Lee Sungmin lowered his head after releasing her. “I'm sorry, Doctor.” Clearly, the tone he used showed he wasn't very sorry. I quickly noticed a blood stain on her forehead from the impact. A smile formed on Kim Taeyeon's lips. What the ? Did she enjoy that?


 

“You heard the doctor, Mr. Lee...Surely we don't wanna make her angry, do we?”


 

“I'll kill you, Kim.” He threatened.


 

“Oh, what a brutal man. Don't you feel bad for threatening a little girl?” She pretended to be scared.


 

“Not when the little girl is a ing psycho.”


 

“What a filthy mouth you have, officer. Mr Byun here is much more polite. You should learn with him.”


 

I noticed the other officer in the room shift a bit uncomfortable. He was young, and there was some freshness in his face. His name was Byun Baekhyun.


 

I really need those guys out of my office. They were not only making my session be late but also provoking my patient. Ok, she was the one provoking them in first place, but still… They should leave before an accident could happen. “It's about time we start the session. Thank you, officers, for bringing Miss Kim. Now, please, you may leave.”


 

“For sure, Doctor. Excuse us.” Baekhyun bowed his head and left the room followed by Lee Sungmin. Their voices were lower but they could still be heard from the corridor as the office got silent for a while. A “ing ” delivered by Lee Sungmin was clearly audible.


 

“Sorry about that.” I said to her. Being called a is never a good thing no matter the occasion.


 

She just smiled gently.


 

I shook my head once again and took a deep breath in.


 

“Nervous, Doctor?” She asked raising her brows.


 

Yes. “No.” I replied.

I couldn't show the patient I was nervous. I had to be more professional than ever. “Just wasn't expecting this beha-... Are you alright, Miss Kim?” I noticed a bit of blood run down from her forehead.


 

“This?” She asked raising her cuffed hands and pointing towards the blood. “Only tickles. You like tickles, Doc?”


 

“No.”


 

“Me neither. Very unpleasant...”


 

I opened my bag on the desk and took a tissue out of it. Leaning forward, I pressed the tissue against Taeyeon's forehead carefully wiping off the blood. She closed her eyes when the tissue touched the wound and grimaced in pain. “You have a mouth on you, don't you? You shouldn't have said that to him.”


 

“Need to have fun once in a while here or I would go crazy, Doc.”


 

“And your idea of fun is to offend senior officers?” Was she one of those people who like to suffer and feel pain? Maybe she was. Masochists were more common than birds these days.


 

“I didn't offend him, Doctor. I was just congratulating him and his wife! But the grumps got mad. How could I guess?” She smirked.


 

“I'm pretty sure you could guess.” I said when I saw the smirk in her face. “There you go. It's clean now.” After I was finished, I placed an adhesive bandage to prevent the blood from running down again.


 

“Pink maniac, Doc?” Taeyeon laughed as she saw the color of the bandage and my bag.


 

“Pink is a therapeutic color, Miss Kim.”


 

“How so?”


 

“Calms the nerves down and boosts the happiness.” That was...stupid. I know it sounded stupid. I was across a ing criminal and just talked about the therapeutic effects of the color pink. That woman probably is thinking I am an idiot.


 

“Let's assure you won't be designing the Asylum uniforms in the future.”


 

I laughed at that. Not really loud, nor giggles either, it was just a chuckle but it was enough to make me feel a bit more comfortable. I wasn't expecting Kim Taeyeon to be so talkative. Her papers said she had signs of isolation and that meant a shy-lonely person. Kim Taeyeon was being the opposite. She was in a very good humor. Maybe my first day won't be so tough as I was thinking.


 

I looked at my watch to see the time. 2:10pm. I took another deep breath, trying to relax, and then pressed the white button of the recording machine. The tape did a twirl indicating that from that time and on, the session would be fully recorded. After a couple of seconds, I was ready to start my first interview.


 

“Doctor Stephanie Hwang, psychotherapist. Interview #1, Resident: Kim Taeyeon.”


 

“So am I your first, Doc?” She remarked excitedly. “Well, you know what they say, you never forget your first time. I'll try make memorable for you¹.” She grinned hard. I clearly noticed the ual tone. It didn't bother me though. It just showed the woman was comfortable enough to make jokes. But one thing I could tell about Kim Taeyeon in first hand was how well that girl could use her voice. The intonation, the volume, the pace... It was incredible. Maybe she really could be a singer.


 

“It does seem that you enjoy chatting very much, Miss Kim.”


 

“Well, when you have only the walls and your head to spend the time with, you may find yourself enjoying things you didn't know you would.”


 

“Interesting. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter