Struggling

Mad Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The moment she left the laundry, I closed my eyes. The feelings inside of me still there, almost coming to the surface. I breathed out, trying to calm me down. I need to be strong. I can't lose my composure. I'll see Taeyeon often and I can't let that get in our way. We just can't be anything more than what we are. It's wrong. It's illegal. It's dangerous. It doesn't matter my feelings for her, I shall not cross that line.

 

“What are you doing to me, Kim Taeyeon?” I asked myself, shaking my head as if the denial of it would make that go away. It didn't. “How did I let this happen?”

 

After washing my face and buttoning up my shirt, I finally got back to the Refectory, where all civilians were with more blankets and towels. My eyes instantly searched for Taeyeon but I didn't managed to find her. Yoona and Lee Sungmin helped me giving blankets and towels to the crowd as everybody was already inside. The rain was getting stronger and the thunders up on the sky just told us it would take a while to go away.

 

As I approached a young woman, I noticed a little girl by her side. She was very young, seven to eight years old judging by her height. Her hair and her clothing were damp by the rain and she was holding her teddy bear tightly as if she was scared by the sounds of thunder. Probably was.

 

I lowered myself to my knees and gave her a blanket.

 

“Thank you, Unnie.” I smiled as she said that. But my smile cut short when I heard a voice echoing in the refectory through the speakers on the ceiling.

 

“Kwon Yuri, come to my office immediately.” I instantly looked around for Yuri and I saw her cuss annoyed. I got up and went to her.

 

“You want me to go with you?”

 

She shook her head. “Don't get involve in this, Tiffany. You're here to take care of that inmate, you don't need unnecessary trouble.”

 

“But...”

 

“I took the decision to let these people in and I have to deal with them. It has nothing to do with you. Stay with Kim.” She told me ready to leave. “Where is she by the way?”

 

My eyes traveled away. “Huh...” She frowned. “I… I don't -.”

 

Yuri tugged my arm and pulled me to the corner far from the officers and the crowd. “What you mean you don't know? She left saying she would look for you.” And she found me, we also made out. But I wouldn't tell Yuri that.

 

“I went to the laundry to get more towels and blankets and-”

 

“You can't let an inmate by herself in here, Tiffany!”

 

“Taeyeon won't hurt anybody!”

 

“It's not about her getting someone's hurt. You can't let that inmate running free in here!”

 

“I didn't… I...”

 

“Look, I gotta go, okay? But you need to find that inmate!”

 

I didn't have time to say anything else as Yuri left me dumbfounded and went to meet Ho Sung in his office. I gritted my teeth and sighed, giving one last look around that place and went back to the laundry to see if Taeyeon was miraculously there. She wasn't.

 

I left the laundry and started looking for her everywhere. Archive: nope. My former officer: nope. Where the hell was she?

 

As I walked past the showers, I heard the sound of streaming water. I blinked. “Taeyeon?” I called, in a low voice, walking in. I saw the orange jumpsuit hanging on the door of one stall and I knew it belonged to her. I exhaled, relieved to have finally found her, and sat on the bench waiting for her to finish it.

 

I tried to calm down my pounding heart, closing my eyes. My palms started to sweat as the sound of the shower was consistently on. She was just there, meters away from me, completely , under the shower. And I was trying to tell my mind to forget about that.

 

My eyes soon gazed at the white shirt on the floor. The white shirt she wore beneath her orange jumpsuit. I felt my heart beating in my ears again. Extremely anxious I made my way towards it, grabbing it from the floor to put it back in place. I stuck there for a second and closing my eyes, I held the shirt under my nose and inhaled it. My toes curled upon smelling the sweet aroma from it.

 

Oh, God. It smelled so good.

 

As I heard the sound of the water stop, I gulped, feeling me panicking inside. How am I supposed to look at her after what happened? How am I supposed to look at her and pretend I don't feel anything? How am I supposed to look at her there barely ? No, I can't. I can't do this.

 

Leaving her shirt on the floor, I left that place before I could meet her once again. As if I had ran ten miles, my breathing got completely out of pace. Yes, I knew I was running away. I knew I was avoiding her like the devil. But I couldn't just be there at that room all alone with her again.

 

I don't think I've ever been so conflicted in my entire life. Do I run away? Do I face her? How long it will take for us to not be awkward to each other? How long it will take till we forget that mistake and move on?

 

I don't know. What I know is that… Yuri was right. Taeyeon got me right under her little finger.

 

 

~~*~~

 

“You alright, Doc?”

 

My heart just went crazy inside my chest. I gulped hard, shutting my eyes, not daring to look at her. “Doc?” I didn't answer. I heard her sigh beside me. “Okay, let me guess. You're conflicted right now because I'm an inmate and you're my doctor and the moral code of Medics is never become so intimate with your patients. And now you don't know what to do because you want to run away but you also need to take care of me, and you're afraid of what will be of us and the inevitable awkward interactions with each other.”

 

...

 

My eyes instantly opened. Dark brown eyes greeted me and it was disturbing how charming they were. She was against the wall and her hands were kept inside the pockets of her orange pants. I curled my toes, trying to dig my feet into the floor to stop myself from pulling her closer to me. For a moment there I had forgotten what she just said. All I wanted was Taeyeon to be a free girl in the city of Seoul, where she could take me home and have se-…

 

I shook my head trying to get rid of those thoughts. “Did I get it wrong?” She asked upon noticing me shaking my head. Her skin was glowing after that shower and the all hair on my body went up, imagining how would feel like to feel her wet skin on mine. My heart beating wild completely out of pace.

 

“Y-you got some right.” I said looking away.

 

She was wearing her spare uniform, a black t-shirt and orange pants. Her hair was still damp by the shower and the white towel on her shoulder was giving her a carefree vibe somehow. She was really attractive. And I'm sure she knows it.

 

“Some? Where did I get wrong?”

 

“Taeyeon, I'm not in the mood to talk about it right now.” I said, trying to act cool.

 

“You alright?”

 

“I don't want to talk about it, okay? It was a -

 

“Mistake, we should get over it and move on.” She completed before I could finish. “I understand.”

 

“Look, this is not the best place for us to talk. Some officer might hear us, plus all this crowd here… Let's just forget about that, okay?”

 

“Okay.” She nodded. “As you wish, toots.”

 

“Don't call me that.” I said firmly, just trying not to fall for that woman once again. But what I said came out sounding a little bit rude.

 

“Are you angry with me?”

 

“I don't want to talk about it.”

 

“Fine. I'll shut up.”

 

“You better.”

 

The awkward silence was inevitable. Taeyeon walked away from where I was, getting close to the windows of the refectory, looking at the rain just outside. Only then I could see on the back of her shirt the word INMATE written in Korean.

 

Seeing her back, I could almost picture her muscles flexin-… I shook my head again. What was happening to me? Since when I have those sort of thoughts with women? With men? Sure! I was always a boy-crazy type of girl… but a girl-crazy? Never! What that inmate was doing to me? How can she suddenly have me so foolish like this? How can she...

 

“Hey, Doctor Hwang, can I talk to you for a minute?” Lee Sungmin called me, driving my attention away from that girl for a moment. I hummed a yes and followed him.

 

“What's wrong officer?”

 

“Hm… don't you think it's kinda wrong having that inmate here?” He asked me talking about Taeyeon.

 

“Why?”

 

“Well, ordinary people don't feel safe around criminals, Doctor.”

 

“She's helping, officer.”

 

“She would help immensely if she was away from them.” I looked at Taeyeon, my bastard heart still beating like crazy. But I noticed some people looking uncomfortable around her. They were giving her looks and I could see one man standing up from his place to walk away from her. “Well, you see… those people here… some of them are you know...friends and family members from the people that psycho killed. It's disturbing to have her around them.”

 

“They don't know it was her.”

 

“Still…. Don't you think she should get back to her cell?”

 

“Honey, don't get closer to her.” I heard a woman say to her child. “She's a criminal. She's evil.”

 

Officer Sungmin grabbed the key of her cell and gave it to me. “It's for the best, Doc.”

 

Is it? I pondered. Maybe. I sighed, not really happy about it.

 

“Taeyeon...” I called her name and the charming sound of it hit my own core. Stop it, Tiffany. Keep it cool. “Come with me.”

 

She fastened her steps as she got closer to me. “What's wrong?”

 

“Officers want you to be inside your cell.” I said firmly not daring to look at her.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Safety reasons.”

 

“I won't hurt them.” She said shaking her head sideways.

 

“It's not about you hurting someone.”

 

“So what is it about? Huh?” She asked turning herself to me. Her voice was low for not drawing much attention but I could see a bit of annoyance in her tone. Her breathing hit my face and I closed my eyes to stop me from doing what I had in mind.

 

“T-those people… they don't feel safe around you…”

 

“I was helping them!”

 

“Don't... make this difficult… I know you understand why it is dangerous. Please, help yourself.”

 

“But I'll be with you, it's okay, isn't it?”

 

I wanted to say it was, that it'd be everything okay and we'd have - Stop it, Tiffany! I hit my own head with my fists to prevent those thoughts.

 

“Hey, are you alright?” She asked holding my fists. Goosebumps all over my body made me yank them away from hers.

 

“Get off.”

 

“What's the matter with you?” She asked slightly annoyed.

 

“Just be quiet and follow me.”

 

“I will not.” She defied.

 

I sighed, not really helping in calming myself. “Taeyeon...please...”

 

“Why can't I stay here??”

 

“I've told you… Those people are afraid of you. You're an inmate and you're out of your cell.”

 

I heard her curse angrily. “What? So when I try to help I need to back to my cell? How is that fair?”

 

“It isn't. But it's not about justice. Just do what you're told… and get back to your cell.”

 

“I don't want to.” She shook her head.

 

“It's not about what you want. It's about what you need!” I retorted back. “Why are you being so difficult?” I asked a bit angry towards her stubborn attitude. “It's just for a while. Till the rain stops and they leave.”

 

“What if the rain doesn't stop? What if rains for the whole day?” I didn't answer. “What about us, Doctor? Do we get to be stuck in our cells for the whole day? What about our lunch? Dinner?”

 

“I'm sure we'll think about something.” I said rather quickly. The rain was just getting heavier. “Now, just…”

 

“Let me stay here...” I flinched when I heard a thunder up above. “I'll be far from them... I promise.”

 

“If you stay here, I'll need to be with you and -

 

“You can't? Is that it? You can't stay with me? Because when you look at me you remember what happened?”

 

No. I imagine what could actually happen. How I could lose my and do what something I'd so ing regret. I was able to hold myself on a few moments ago there in the laundry but it might not happen again the next time. And I don't want to have a next time.

 

“It's...complicated.”

 

“No, it's not. You're making it be complicated.” She retorted.

 

“I don't have time for this…. Just come with me.”

 

“No!” She walked herself away. “It's ing pouring outside and I had just taken my shower!”

 

“I don't care! You need to get back to you cell!”

 

“Why are you angry with me? I didn't do anything!”

 

“I'm not angry with you. I'm just following orders.”

 

“Following orders?”

 

“Yes. It's against the rules having you wandering off in here.”

 

“It's against the rules giving sweets to criminals.” “Did it stop you doing it?”

 

“Why are you acting like this?”

 

“Why are you acting like this?”

 

“Like what? A reasonable human being?”

 

“No! Ridiculous and selfish!”

 

“Selfish?” My voice came a little bit louder. “I'm the selfish here? I'm trying to stop any accident to happen in here!”

 

“Why there would be an accident?”

 

“You're out of your cell!”

 

“So suddenly I've became this uncontrollable person who is thirsty to kill everyone in here? Where's the doctor that said killing is not an instinct of mine??”

 

“HEY!” We both shut up as we heard an officer shout at us. “Is everything alright here?” He got closer to us, looking from me to Taeyeon. “Is she bothering you, Doctor Hwang?”

 

“Don't worry, officer… everything is alright.” I dismissed his worries.

 

“Yes… sure it is.” She responded, turning herself away, putting her hands inside her pockets and heading towards the lift.

 

“Excuse-me officer...” I said, trying to keep with her.

 

“Taeyeon...Stop it!” She didn't. I huffed angry at her. God dammit. “Stop it! You can't run free in here!”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter