Sister Talk

Mad Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It's…” I rose my head, staring at her eyes. “Your sister, Hayeon...”

As those words came out of my mouth, the silence following it seemed to make my senses extend tenfold. Everything around me seemed to slow down. I managed to notice her pupils dilating, and her frown got loose, showing her surprise when the information was processed in her brain.

Her eyes didn't move and all my ears could hear was the beating sound of my heart. As if the time had stopped right there, Taeyeon stood immobile, not a single sound coming from her lips.

The silence was excruciating, making me more uncomfortable.

"Move, Kim.” Officer Lee pushed her to walk forward, without care for that particular moment. He opened the door of the visitation center and dragged Taeyeon inwards, who still looked dumbfounded for that information.

Hayeon's eyes got slightly bigger when they finally rested upon Taeyeon. She gulped some saliva as her eyes ran across Taeyeon's figure.

Officer Lee put himself in front of Taeyeon with a smug on his face. "It looks like it's not Lee Soon Kyu, Kim. So...behave yourself or the muzzle will find its way to your mouth, you hear me?”

Taeyeon didn't say a thing.

"What happened? Cat got your tongue?” He scoffed. “So, seeing your sister makes you shut up, huh?” And then he proceeded to turn himself towards Hayeon, who was standing still as well. “Should come here more often, Ms. Kim.”

"Officer Lee, please…” I asked, wanting for him to not say something stupid and trigger Taeyeon. In my head, she was in a very delicate situation.

"Sorry, Doctor.” Clearly he wasn't. He just seemed amused Taeyeon was so silent and wanted to make jokes about her being like that. I just couldn't allow it. Not there. Not today.

"Anyway, you know the rules, Kim... No touching.” No touching… that means no hand shake, no hugging, no kissing. No physical contact whatsoever. “You'll stay in cuffs during it, in case you might hurt the visitor and you have one hour for talking time. Officer Choi will stay put for any emergency.” And he turned himself again to Hayeon. “If she hurts you, the visit is over and she'll be back to her cell.” Hayeon nodded her head, understanding the procedures. “So be a good girl, Kim.” Officer Lee tapped her cheeks, still amused with her behavior. I gulped when he left the room, leaving only Hayeon, Taeyeon, Officer Choi and I in there.

I looked at Hayeon and I could notice her chest breathing slightly faster than usual. No words were spoken till then. And leaving my fears behind, I approached Taeyeon. Her eyes seem unfocused and I asked myself if she was actually aware of what was going on.

Hayeon sighed, closing her eyes. She sat on the chair, still with her eyes closed, try to gain forces to start that conversation. Sitting on the chair across Hayeon, Taeyeon kept silent. Hayeon didn't seem comfortable enough to initiate the conversation and the silence was back, engulfing us in a rather awkward environment. My hands were over Taeyeon's shoulders, trying to give her some support for that moment. I saw Hayeon's expression and I could tell she was asking me to help her deal with that.

I mean, she was Taeyeon's little sister but they were distant to each other all their lives, intimacy and sisterly bond was something they never shared. No wonder they were so awkward with one another upon meeting again after all those years. “Taeyeon…” I called, my hands still on her shoulders. “Look… it's your sister, Hayeon… She is here to talk to you… Isn't that amazing?” I said as soft as I could. In that particular moment, I felt like Taeyeon was back being a kid.

“C'mon, why don't you say hi to her?” She didn't. “She came all the way from Jeonju just to see you…” Again, not a word.

“Is...she alright?” Hayeon asked me concerned.

I wish I could tell it is but I didn't know what was going on myself. “I'm sorry, Hayeon...I don't know what's going on. I never saw her like this.”

C'mon, Taeyeon. It's your sister! What are you doing? Why don't you say anything?

“You think I came in a bad day?”
 

“No. Not at all.” I promptly denied. “She was alright just minutes ago. Ever since I told her you were here, she's been like this.”

“Is it a bad thing? Is she angry that I'm here?” Angry? I hope not.

“Taeyeon… can you hear me?” I asked, looking at her. “Hey, your little sister is here. You wanted to see her, didn't you? So… she's right here. Say hi.” She didn't.

“What do we do now?” Hayeon asked for guidance and I felt my heart start to wrench. No. Please. It can't be like this. Taeyeon… please, say something.

“Talk to her.” I tried.

“She doesn't seem to be listening...”

“Just talk to her. Try to get her attention.” She didn't look so comfortable.

“Huh….Hello… There… Taeyeon...” I sighed, praying for Taeyeon to make that reunion be worthy it. “Long time...no see, huh?” That awkwardness really should go away. At the same time, I knew it was really difficult for both of them to interact naturally with each other. Maybe they need some space, some privacy. Yeah, 10 years apart won't be gone in only a second, they need time. And they both deserve to be alone for this moment. Only them talking, sharing their secrets, worries and fears. Even if Taeyeon don't say a word, hear her sister talking might be a great thing to her.

“I'll leave you alone. You both need some privacy.” I said, Hayeon nodded her head. I noticed she was a bit scared to be left alone with Taeyeon herself however. “Don't worry. I'll be just outside. Keep talking to her.”

As my hands left her shoulders, I prepared myself to turn around and leave.

"Doc?...” My eyes widened as I recognized her voice. “Where are you going?" Her voice was barely above a whisper level and I was relieved. Thank God. Thank God she was speaking again.

I knelled down to reach her eye level and placed my hand on her thigh.

"Taeyeon... it's Hayeon, your sister! She's here!” I said, my voice now full of happiness. “Isn't this amazing? She's here to talk to you.”

“Where are you going?”

“Well, I can't stay here.”

“Why not?”

“It must be a private conversation between you two."

"But I...I don't want you to leave." She shook her head.

"Taeyeon..."

"Please stay. Please..."

My heart warmed up. "I can't. You deserve this conversation with your sister alone. It's not fair for me stay and listen."

"I don't mind you listening.”

“Taeyeon...”

“Please stay...” And I heard my heart beating faster. “I'm scared.” She said, her voice barely a whisper. My arms embraced her.

“Don't be. It's your sister… she won't hurt you.” I said softly in her ear.

“That's not what I'm scared of.” She denied. “I'm afraid… I could hurt her.”

“Taeyeon?”

“I don't want hurt her...Please...stay...”

I closed my eyes and I nodded my head. “Okay. I'll stay.” I said, finally.

I heard her gulping, and I know she was having a hard time there. I release her and got up, placing myself again behind her, my hands falling over her shoulders again. 

“Look at her, Taeyeon...” I saw her rising her head and Hayeon took a deep breath. “So… pretty, isn't she? She's an adult now… How old was she the last time you saw her?”

“10.” Her reply made Hayeon close her eyes.

“That's a long time. You guys have a lot to catch up. So, why don't you start talking to your sister?”

“I don't know what to say.”

“Just say Hi.”

Silence again.

“C'mon, Taeyeon, ask her something.” I indulged, trying to make that work.

...

“You...still live in Jeonju?” The lack of intimacy was evident.

Hayeon nodded. “Yes. I still live in Jeonju.”

“Did Father really let you come here?”

Hayeon looked at me before resting her eyes upon her sister.  She shook her head. “He… doesn't know.”

“He doesn't know?”

“If he knew, he wouldn't allow it.”

“You… lied to Father?”

In that moment I saw Hayeon's cheeks get pinkish. I smiled, relieved somehow. “Yes. I told him I was coming to Seoul due to my College Symposium.”

“C-college?”

Hayeon nodded. “Hm.”

“You're at College?”

“Yes. Medic School.”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter