Face off

Mad Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Jonghyun… are you sure about that?” I asked, finding my heart beating fast inside my chest.

 

He sighed, giving in. “Yes.”

 

“Look, I don't want you to feel obliged to see Taeyeon or anything. If you think that seeing her could give you some trouble, then please, don't. I don't want to make anyone feel bad.”

 

“No, Doctor. Maybe that's what we need, Taeyeon and I, you know. Need to face our demons, be grown ups and solve whatever is left unresolved.” He had a point in that.

 

“I just don't want you to do anything that could make you regret later on. And I understand how this isn't easy for you.”

 

“Maybe not doing anything is what would make me regret. If Taeyeon is dying, not seeing her would make me hate myself. I can't bear it.”

 

“I understand how it is hard for you too, how it hurtful must be, how scary must be, you know, after all those years.” I held his hand, giving him strength. “Thank you, Jonghyun, for doing this.”

 

He nodded his head. “We should thank you, Doctor Hwang. What you're doing for Taeyeon… that's commendable.”

 

I sighed. Yet she doesn't see it.

 

“Thank you for taking care of our Taengoo.” I closed my eyes. He ended up hugging me. “Whatever happens, stop blaming yourself. Stop putting too much pressure on yourself. You've done enough.”

 

“Thank you.” I said, my voice muffed by his clothes. It made me feel better having this conversation with him.

 

“Let's finish this business.”

 

~~*~~

 

What would happen from now on? Would Taeyeon take Jonghyun's visit well? Would she cry like she did with her sister? Would she then stop pursuing this vengence that kills her every minute? I don't know. All I wanted was to make that reunion alright.

 

“Taeyeon...” I said softly, my finger caressing her face in the picture I was holding. Her innocent smile just showing how unaware she was of the future ahead. “Don't give up.” I finished, preying for that.

 

~~*~~

 

Walking through those corridors after spending a week away was a little odd. Not only I found the Asylum more suffocating than usual, I felt a little lonely. Yuri hadn't returned from her break yet and Yoona had been busy for the whole day, making me feel distant to a place where I was so used to be.

 

Taeyeon hadn't left her hospital room yet as she was still under observation. I was relieved to hear that because that meant Seohyun was taking care of her and that Taeyeon wasn't left all by herself, which was what I was afraid of. However, Taeyeon's apathy was evident and even Seohyun came to me asking to keep an eye on her. Taeyeon wasn't eating, skipping her meals on purpose and there was a part of me who was getting tired of that. It struck me right into my core as I opened the door of her hospital room and saw her on the bed, quietly sleeping. I was getting tired of taking care of her. I was getting tired of always being there to save her from herself. It was like a cycle that it doesn't end. How many times do I need to get back? How many times do I need to save her?

 

I guess just one last time.

 

~~*~~

 

“Taeyeon...” I called her, waking her up. As she opened her eyes and recognized me, her expression changed to a confused one.

 

“Tiffany...” Her voice showing how weak she was. “You're...back.”

 

“Yeah, I'm back.” I said, sitting down on the corner of the bed. “How have you been?”

 

“Why did you... come back?” She asked, ignoring my question.

 

I sighed. “I promised I would take care of you, didn't I?”

 

“I release you from that promise.” She said and I frowned my brows. “You don't need to… take care of me anymore. You're free to go, Doc.”

 

I chuckled, finding that a little silly. At the same time, I felt like it made me feel lighter. It sounds weird but it really felt like I was free of an oath or something. “I can't go now.” I stated. “Not now.” I shook my head. “If I go, and you...are gone….” I exhaled. “I wouldn't forgive myself.”

 

“It wouldn't be your fault.”

 

“It would.” I retorted. “It means I failed. I failed at helping you.” I looked down. “I failed with my duty.”

 

“You're not a soldier.”

 

“Still...we all have our duties, don't we? Yours is to avenge your friends…. Mine is to take care of you.” She looked away, avoiding any eye contact with me.

 

“Taeyeon, listen… there's something I need to tell you.” I started, not sure if I was right to tell her about Jonghyun.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Remember when… Hayeon came here and told you that she had found your diary?” Her eyes met mine.

 

I sighed. “She gave it to me.”

 

“Did you read it?”

 

I shook my head. “No.”

 

“Don't lie to me.”

 

“I'm not.” I said, honestly. “I didn't read. But uh… there were some pictures there.” I revealed, not sure if she would remember. “Pictures of you, younger, and… your friends.” I started to feel anxious.

 

“So...you've met them.” She said and “met” was actually a really appropriate word. I just didn't know how to say that to her.

 

“Do… Do you want to have it back?” I asked. “Your diary and...those pictures… do you want to have them back?”

 

It took her seconds to answer. “No.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“It's long gone, Doc.” I looked at her, her eyes and voice distant. “I'm not the same. I'm not the person in those pictures anymore. And I don't want to be reminded of that. It's gonna hurt.”

 

“I know.” I said, respecting her feelings. “I'm sorry.” And my courage to tell about Jonghyun just died at that moment. “I didn't mean to.”

 

“I'm happy you're back, doc.” She said and my heart beat faster in content. A shy smile was formed on my lips.

 

“I'm glad to be back too.”

 

“Don't lie to me.” I chuckled.

 

“I'm not. I like when you are around.”

 

“I'm sorry.” She apologized for something I didn't understand. “For what I said.” I gulped. “It isn't your fault. It never was. It never will be.”

 

“It's okay.” I held her hand.

 

“I missed you.” My fingertips went numb. And there was a pinch of happiness in hearing that.

 

“I missed you too, Tae.”

 

“Thank you… for coming back.” I nodded my head, relieved.

 

 

~~*~~

 

“I don't know how to say that to her.” I revealed once I met with Jonghyun again, just a couple of days before their meeting. “Every time I try to mention you, I get so anxious… and afraid of her reaction… and I end up not saying anything.” I sighed, anxious. “It was just like Hayeon.”

 

“Everything went well with Hayeon, right?” He induced and I confirmed.

 

“Well, yeah… but I don't know. This feels so much bigger, so much… riskier.”

 

“It's gonna be alright, Doctor.”

 

“You're surprisingly calm for someone who was so anxious about Taeyeon knowing you could be alive...” I commented. “What happened to that Jonghyun who made me promise not to tell her anything about you?”

 

He chuckled. “I guess… it's my duty.” And I respected his line of thought. “Somehow, I feel like I need to do this and that...whatever happens… It'll be over. This runaway. This fear of confrontation… It's about time Taengoo knows the truth. Even if it hurts.”

 

“You're a really brave man, Jonghyun.” I said, moved by his words.

 

He dismissed. “I'm a coward, Doctor. I'm just trying to do the right thing here.”

 

~~*~~

 

“Wow, I didn't know it looked like this.” He said when we entered through the gates of the Asylum. “It's really odd to enter this place.”

 

“Yeah, but after a while you get used to it.”

 

“It must be tough.” He commented. “To work here everyday.”

 

“People gotta do what they gotta do.” He nodded.

 

"So...how we gonna do it?”

 

My heart was beat faster inside my chest. “The procedure is usually the same.” I commented. “I'll leave you at the visitation center, and I'll walk Taeyeon's way to your booth and there...you can talk.” God help us.

 

“You are going to stay with us?”

 

“Only if Taeyeon agrees. I believe privacy should be a priority for you guys and you deserve it. I'll only stay if Taeyeon asks me to stay.”

 

Jonghyun agreed. “I'm starting to feel nervous.”

 

“Let's hope everything will turn out alright.” I said expectantly.

 

~~*~~

 

“Where are we going, Doc?” I heard her ask.

 

“There's someone who wants to see you.” I said, my heartbeat off the charts. “And talk to you.”

 

“Hayeon? Did she come back?” She asked, excited. I wish I could've said yes. It would be awesome to have Hayeon back as Taeyeon really liked to meet her sister. But Hayeon was busy with college and she didn't know when she could come visiting Taeyeon again.

 

“No, it's not Hayeon.” I answered.

 

“Lee Soon Kyu, then?” She tried to guess, and I shook my head.

 

“It's not Lee Soon Kyu either.”

 

“Then who is it?”

 

“You'll soon find out.” I replied. “Just follow me, okay?”

 

“Okay.” She obeyed without any worries.

 

~~*~~

 

I had to take a deep breath before Officer Lee opening the door and leading her inside the visitation booth. I didn't say anything as I was sure I didn't need to make words for that moment. The big moment. The moment where finally Taeyeon and her childhood friend Jonghyun would finally meet.

 

As she walked inside the room, Taeyeon frowned her brows. A couple of seconds in silence followed her gaze. But this shouldn't be surprising. The same thing happened with Hayeon.

 

“You know the rules, Kim... No touching.” Officer Lee quickly prompted up. “You'll stay in cuffs during it, in case you might hurt the visitor and you have one hour for talking time. Officer Choi here will stay put for any emergency.” And he turned himself again to Jonghyun. “If she hurts you, the visit is over and she'll be back to her cell.” Jonghyun nodded his head, understanding the procedures.

Officer Lee left, leaving only Jonghyun, Taeyeon, Officer Choi and I in there. I looked at Jonghyun and I could notice his chest breathing slightly faster than usual. My eyes searched for Taeyeon's and I saw them blinking obliviously.

“I don't get it, Doc.”  She brought it up. “Who is this?”  

I couldn't help but frowning my brows as I heard her words. Confusion took me just as quickly and I turned my head to look at Jonghyun's face, who seemed to be a little confused as well.

 

“What do you mean who is this?” I tried, not getting what was going on. “Don't you recognize him?”

 

Taeyeon's eyes moved to Jonghyun's face and she walked closer, trying to grasp any line of familiarity in his face. After a couple of seconds, she shook her head. “Never seen him in my entire life.”

 

Jonghyun and I exchanged looks, rather confused. “Taeyeon… are you serious?” I asked not understanding how that was possible.

 

“Why should I know him?”

 

I gulped. “Well, because he's your...uhh… your...friend.” I gulped, my heart just losing its strings.

 

“My friend?”

 

“Taeyeon...” I tried to recover myself. “It's your...friend… your childhood friend. Jonghyun. Kim Jonghyun.”

 

She just burst out laughing. I scratched my head. What in the world? How come she doesn't remember him? How come she is laughing? What is even happening?

 

“Are you hearing yourself, Doctor?” She mocked. “You're out of your mind! That's not Jonghyun. Jonghyun is dead.”

 

I shook my head. “No, Taeyeon. He is alive and he is right here.”

 

“No, Doc. He is dead. He died that day along the others.”

 

I sighed. “Well, yeah...about that…” The awkwardness was unbearable. “Remember that you found your friends in that warehouse in chains?” She nodded. And I continued. “Who did you find there?”

 

“Taemin and Minho.” She responded.

 

“So...where was Jonghyun?” I asked and I wanted her to join up the dots.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter