Chapter 7

The Next Generation

After a couple days Daehyun was back again with a couple people, ready to head over the borders. Mark and JR were patrolling the wall when they spotted Daehyun and company.

"Our king was expecting a yes from you," said Daehyun as he looked up at Mark. "Well, our queen said yes, I'm going to be the one escorting you to our capitol then to the northern borders," said Mark. "The queen would like to know who I'm escorting," he said. Daehyun nodded. "This is Youngjae and Jackson," he said. "We are ready to go when you are," he said.

"You guys want to go already?" Asked Mark. "We don't want to be a burden," said Daehyun. "Plus I don't think we should be sticking around when there's clearly still trouble here," he said. Mark nodded. "Well, let's go," he said, as JR motioned for someone to open the gates. Baekho and Jaehyun open the gates and Daehyun, Youngjae, and Jackson walk into the outpost. Mark came down from the wall and nodded to them. "Let's go," he said, before he left the outpost with them, going quickly back to the capitol.

"So what's life like in the other kingdom?" Asked Mark. "It's not much different from yours," said Daehyun. "Things are still iffy since the civil war ended, but it's the same for the most part," he said. Mark nodded. "We're here," he said as they reached the capitol gates.

"Huh, I thought the capitol would be bigger," said Daehyun as he looked at the gates. "We're still a small kingdom," said Mark as he headed inside. Daehyun and company follow after him. "We're gonna head to the palace first," said Mark as they walked down the streets of the capitol. They were getting curious looks from bystanders as Mark led them to the palace.

"Mark-hyung!" Yelled Sehun as he ran up to them. "Oh, hello Sehun, Aron," said Mark. "Where's Baekhyun?" He asked. "He's with mom," said Sehun. "I was on my way to hunt," he said. "Ah, good luck," said Mark. "Thanks hyung!" Said Sehun before he continued heading towards the gates. Aron ran after him. "Who's that?" Asked Daehyun. "That was Sehun, he is the son of one of the previous members of the guard," said Mark as they continued walking.

They soon reached the palace and Mark told them to wait outside the throne room as he went inside. "I brought my escorts," he said to the queen as he knelled in front of the throne. "I figured you'd want to see who I would be escorting since I'm passing through the capitol," he said. The queen nodded. "Let them in," she said. A castle guard member went to open the door to the throne room, ushering Daehyun, Youngjae, and Jackson into the room.

Daehyun, Youngjae, and Jackson go to kneel beside Mark and Jeonghan. "Your highness," said Daehyun. "Welcome," said the queen. "I hope the journey wasn't too harrowing or difficult," she said. "It wasn't," said Daehyun. "The kingdom isn't what we are used to, but we are just passing through and heading north so there is no complaint there," he said. The queen nodded. "Mark will you the rest of the way north before he has to return to his post at the southern borders," she said. "That is fine with us," said Daehyun. "Word from a messenger said that we'd be meeting the leader of the rebel group anyway, they may have a message for some of the refugees that managed to cross over," he said. The queen nodded. "Dismissed, have a safe trip Mark," she said. Mark stood and bowed. "I will your highness," he said. Daehyun and company stand and bow before leaving the room with Mark and Jeonghan.

"Mind if I stop by Jin and Taehyung's place?" Asked Mark as they walked down the main street of the capitol. "Sure, why what's up?" Asked Daehyun. "They're two of the refugees you mentioned, I thought I'd go and give them a heads up," said Mark. "Plus, they might have a message of their own to give to the leader of their rebel forces," he said. Daehyun nodded. "Lead the way then," he said. Youngjae and Jackson were silent as they walked towards Jaehyun's apartment complex.

Mark knocked on the door to Jaehyun's apartment, yelling that it was him. A bit of shuffling was heard before Jin opened the door, smiling when he saw Mark. "I see you brought some friends," he said. "These guys are from EXO, I'm escorting them north to the Bangtan borders," said Mark. Jin looked surprised but let them in. Taehyung came out of the kitchen when he heard Mark at the door.

"I'm Daehyun," said Daehyun. "We may not see each other after today, but I wanted to know if you wanted to pass any messages onto the rebel group over in Bangtan?" He asked. "Well, I want to know if Jungkook is well, I know he hasn't gotten his god yet, being an orb user and all, but he is the youngest in our group," he said. Daehyun nodded. "I'm not sure who we'll end up meeting, but I'll be sure to pass on any concern," he said. "I'll take any messages from them and come back," said Mark. Jin and Taehyung nod. "Thank you," said Jin.

Mark leaves with Daehyun and company, Jeonghan trailing behind them. They meet Sehun at the gates as he returned with a cart being pulled by Aron that had a couple deer in it. "Nice catch!" Mark said with a grin. Sehun scratched the back of his head smiling some. "Thanks hyung," he said. "Heading out? Good luck and safe travels," he said. "Thanks, keep an eye on things for me alright?" Asked Mark. Sehun nodded and walked into the capitol as Mark and company left the capitol, quickly hurrying north at a quick pace.

"How far is it to the northern borders from here?" Asked Daehyun. "About 3 days, 2 and a half if we keep at the pace we were getting to the capitol," said Mark. "When are they expecting you?" He asked. "By the end of the week," said Daehyun. "We'll make it," said Mark. "I'm not called the fastest in the guard for no reason," he said. "I know you guys aren't as fast as I am but try and keep up okay?" He asked. The others nod.