Chapter 11

The Next Generation

Mark got some rest, but he needed to head out with the reinforcements, having promised his friends and fellow guard members that he would return.

Mark just got released from the hospital, with Jeonghan walking by his side as he left the hospital. They both headed to the palace to meet up with the reinforcement team, ready to take them south. "Mark," greeted the queen as he entered the throne room with Jeonghan. "Your highness," said Mark as be bowed. "I take it you are rested enough to return to the southern borders?" Asked the queen. "Yes I am," said Mark. "We couldn't spare any soldiers for the trip in case something failed and you'd have to return but we did get some volunteers," she said. "Don't tell me it was the kids?" Asked Mark. "No," said the queen. "I think you know these two a little bit," she said. Mark looked confused. "Bring them in," said the queen. One of the castle guards went to open the door and usher in the two volunteers. "Oh, hello Jin, Taehyung," said Mark. They both smile before bowing in front of the queen.

"Mark will be taking you both south to the southern borders," said the queen. "I trust you both can handle things?" She asked. "Yes," said Jin. "We did escape Bangtan, and we were apart of their rebel group," he said. The queen nodded. "You are free to leave whenever," she said. "Thank you your highness," said Mark as he bowed. Jin and Taehyung bow again before they leave, Jeonghan running after them.

"Do you guys need anything?" Asked Mark as they left the palace. "No, we packed as soon as we got word about what happened," said Jin. "We're ready to go," he said. "Okay," said Mark. "You're scared to go back aren't you?" Asked Taehyung as he turned to Mark. "A little," said Mark. "But it's only because I'm afraid of what I'm going to encounter when we get there," he said. Jin nodded in understanding. "That's understandable," he said. They went to grab their bags before heading to the capitol gates. Jeonghan walked beside Mark, looking determined. "Jeonghan has become attached to everyone, he really wants to see them," Mark said with a smile as they stood at the gates. "German Shepherds are loyal, until you give them a reason not to be," said Jin as he scratched Jeonghan behind the ears. "Let's go," said Mark before they left, quickly heading back to the southern borders.

Doyoung was exhausted as he lay in his bunk. He saw that his orb had summoned by itself and he immediately sat up. Mark is on his way, came Chen's voice in his head. Doyoung got up and ran to find the others, to let them know of the news. Minhyun was dead, having died protecting someone from stabbing Taeyong in the kidney. Taeyong was critically injured, and Doyoung wondered if he could call Yixing for help. Baekho, Suho, and Jaehyun were the least battered out of their entire group, their quick healing helping them get back onto their feet pretty quickly. JR and Taeil ended up going close range when they ran out of arrows, and it nearly cost JR his life.

"Guys, Mark is on his way back," said Doyoung as he found Baekho and Suho patrolling the outpost gates. "Oh thank god," said Baekho. "How's Taeyong?" He asked. "I'm not sure, he's still unconscious," said Doyoung. "I'm tempted to ask Yixing for help," he said. Baekho's expression darkened. "If he decides to help," he spat, turning away. Suho sighed. "He didn't help Ren when Baekhyun died, what's gonna get him to help you with Taeyong?" Asked Baekho. "Sorry about bringing up Yixing," mumbled Doyoung. "I just don't know what else to do," he said. "It's alright," said Baekho. "Maybe he might help this time," he said. "Yeah," said Doyoung.

"How is JR doing?" Asked Suho. "He's awake, at least," said Doyoung. "He can't move just yet but he's awake," he said. "That's good," said Baekho. "I'm going to check on Taeyong," said Doyoung before he headed back to the barracks. Suho and Baekho exchange glances as Jaehyun walked over to them with Taeil, who had bandages covering his chest. "You shouldn't be up and walking around Taeil," said Baekho as he turned to them. "I'm fine," said Taeil. "My ribs aren't broken, so," he said. "Did you eat at least?" Asked Baekho. "Yeah," said Taeil. "Good," said Baekho.

Mark arrived with Jin and Taehyung a couple days later, Mark not wanting to push his exhaustion even more. Jaehyun met them at the gates, smiling some when he saw who was with Mark. "Hey Mark, Jin, Taehyung," he said. "We brought some medical supplies, who's injured?" Asked Jin. "Taeyong is critical," said Jaehyun. Mark didn't look too surprised, much to Jaehyun's surprise. "I was expecting someone to be either dead or critical," mumbled Mark. "I wasn't too far off when I heard the explosion," he said. "Oh, right," said Jaehyun. "Who died?" Asked Mark. "Minhyun did," said Jaehyun. Mark's expression darkened as he looked away.

"Let me look at Taeyong," said Jin. Jaehyun nodded and took Jin to the barracks. Taehyung went to join Mark up at the wall, where Suho and Baekho were. "Jin's taking a look at Taeyong," said Mark as Suho and Baekho turned to them. "Good," said Baekho. "Jaehyun said that Jin was a good medic," he said. "How long did the battling go on for?" Asked Mark. "Not too much longer, after Doyoung's explosion they were dead in a few hours," said Baekho. "Mm," said Mark. Taehyung looked out over the other side of the border, his expression blank.