Chapter 17

The Next Generation

Suho and Baekho were recovering pretty quick, since Jin and Jimin helped their healing process a bit.

Mark was out on a hunt in the forest near the outpost with Yoongi, Jeonghan, and Jaehyun who was in his animal form. There wasn't much food left in the mess hall so Mark made it his mission to at least hunt every week or so while they were here. Jaehyun was with Yoongi while Jeonghan was with Mark.

"I think Jeonghan caught onto a trail," said Mark as his dog darted forward. Mark ran after him, with Yoongi following behind. Jaehyun would sit back and wait for the deer to come to him so he hung back as he walked forward, ready to corner the deer. "Get him Jaehyun!" Came Mark's voice as a wounded deer came towards him with Jeonghan chasing it. Jaehyun jumped at the deer, pouncing on it and quickly killing it. There was another deer being herded towards them and Jaehyun immediately pounced on that one, killing it. He sat back and his paw, looking smug. Mark and Yoongi appear, nodding to Jaehyun. "Well, let's drag the bodies back," said Mark. Jaehyun grabbed one of the deer while Mark and Yoongi took the other one back to the outpost. Jeonghan followed after them, his tail wagging.

Mark banged on the outpost gates, waiting for someone to come open the gates. Taehyung and Jin came to open the gates wide enough for them to slip through before closing the gates again. "Deer?" Asked Jin. "Yep," said Mark. "We got two this time, to feed all of us," he said. "I'll get to skinning it and stuff, is there a clear spot?" He asked. "Yeah, near the bonfire, Taeyong and Hoseok cleared out a spot for you," said Jin. Jaehyun dragged the deer over to the designated spot and dropped it off before going to change and clean up. Mark and Yoongi went to the designated spot and started skinning and gutting the deer.

Hoseok and Taeyong came over a couple hours later wondering how the deer was coming along. "We saved some cuts for deer stew if you have the ingredients," said Mark. "Sure," said Taeyong. "This deer stew is gonna be slightly different, because there isn't much to work with but we'll try," he said. "Great," said Mark. "Your cuts are over there," he said, pointing. Taeyong went to grab the cuts of deer meat and then he and Hoseok went into the kitchen of the mess hall to see what they could get for deer stew.

Jin went to check on Baekho and Suho, to see if they were both awake yet. "Well, they are alive," he mumbled to himself as he checked on their pulses. "Come back to us you two," he said as he put a hand on their foreheads. "Or you know, let Doyoung or Jungkook know where JR is at," he added as he sighed. He looked towards the door where Jimin was standing. "Hey hyung," said Jimin. "They aren't awake yet?" He asked. Jin shook his head no. "Not yet," he said. Jimin sighed. "We managed to get them to wake up to change back, but they then passed out, they better wake up soon," he said.

"I've been watching Mark closely, he's close to breaking at this point," said Jimin. "I know, Taehyung, Taeyong, Jaehyun, and even Yoongi are keeping an eye on him," said Jin. "I think it'd be best if Kookie talked to him," said Jimin. "Ya know, since he's the youngest in our group," he said. "I think he'd open up a bit more," he said. "Mm, ask him and see what he says," said Jin. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind talking to Mark," he said. Jimin nodded and left the room. Jin sighed and checked on Baekho and Suho again before leaving the room.

Jimin went to find Jungkook, who was up on the wall running patrols with Doyoung. "Jungkook," he called, causing Jungkook to look at Jimin. "What's up Jimin-hyung?" Asked Jungkook. "Do you mind talking to Mark?" Asked Jimin. "He's about to break, and even with everyone keeping an eye on him, I think since you're the youngest in our group he'd open up to you more," he said, scratching the back of his head. Jungkook looked concerned, nodding. "I can talk to him," he said. "Take my shift for now okay?" He asked. Jimin nodded. Jungkook headed down from the wall, going to find Mark and Yoongi. "We're all concerned for Mark," said Doyoung as he looked over the horizon. "Jaehyun and Taeyong are the closest to him, but if he's not opening up to those two then something is up with him," he said. "Mm," said Jimin.

"Mark," said Jungkook as he walked over to Mark and Yoongi. "Hi Jungkook," said Mark. "We're almost done here, what's up?" He asked. "Was wondering if you were free to talk a bit before dinner?" Asked Jungkook. "In a bit, we're almost done with the deer here," said Mark. "When's your shift up on the wall?" Asked Jungkook. "After dinner, why?" Asked Mark. "Can we talk then?" Asked Jungkook. "Sure," said Mark. "Who's joining you up there?" Asked Jungkook. "Yoongi, but if he doesn't mind you can take his shift," said Mark. Yoongi shrugs. "Thanks hyung," mumbled Jungkook. Yoongi managed a faint smile before going back to cutting the deer into steaks. "I'll see you after dinner yeah?" Asked Jungkook. "Sure hyung," said Mark. "Er, sorry," he said, looking embarrassed. "No it's fine, I think I am two years older than you anyway," said Jungkook as he chuckled. Mark smiled slightly before he returned to cutting the rest of the deer into steaks. Jungkook headed off to find Namjoon.

Namjoon was with Taeil as they chopped up wood for the bonfire. The both of them were considered the leaders of their respective groups so they basically stuck together. "Namjoon-hyung," said Jungkook. "What's up Jungkook?" Asked Namjoon. Taeil turned to Jungkook, his head tilting to the side. "Mark isn't being himself," said Jungkook as he looked down. "Even Xiumin says this isn't normal for him," he said. Taeil sighed, putting the ax he was using down. "You're right," he said. "The best we can do is talk to him," he said. "If he doesn't open up to you then I don't know what else we can do," he said. "Taeyong and Hoseok are making deer stew," said Jungkook. "Yum," said Taeil. "Taeyong cooking is usually the best, second to Mark's steaks," he said with a chuckle. Jungkook smiled slightly.

Jeonghan ran to get them for dinner, so everyone went over to the mess hall to get deer stew. The mess hall was still somewhat messy but the Doyoung managed to get the electricity working so Mark could put the deer steaks in the freezer for later. Everyone got their share of deer stew, Doyoung and Jimin heading back to the wall to continue their shift. Jaehyun, Taeyong, and Taehyung kept a close eye on Mark through out dinner, keeping close but not too close.

After dinner Mark, Jeonghan, and Jungkook headed up to the wall to begin their shift, relieving Jimin and Doyoung of their duties. Doyoung nodded to them and left the wall with Jimin following behind him.

"Mark-ah," started Jungkook as they walked around the wall. "Hm?" Asked Mark. "Everyone is worried about you you know? You've been quiet, and according to Xiumin, my god, this isn't normal for you," said Jungkook. Mark looked down, kicking at some dirt on the floor. "I'm just processing things," he said. "I know I'm being quiet, but I am almost done processing things," he said. "I want to find JR-hyung, and I want Baekho-hyung and Suho-hyung to wake up," he said. "I don't want to seem like the weakest person here, but I know everyone is worrying," he said. "I don't want them to worry about me until Baekho-hyung and Suho-hyung wake up," he said.

"Mark-ah, your mental health is important too, you even have Yoongi-hyung keeping an eye on you sometimes," said Jungkook. "And Yoongi-hyung usually doesn't do this kind of stuff," he said. "Just talk to me or anyone if you aren't feeling right okay?" He asked. "Yeah," said Mark. "Thanks hyung," he said. Jungkook smiled slightly.