Chapter 22

The Next Generation

Baekho and Suho decided to send the others back for now, at least for a couple days so they could recoup and get more supplies to the outpost. Things had been quiet, so they decided to send them back for now.

"Well, good luck," said Baekho as he met Taeil at the gates. "Thanks hyung," said Taeil as he waited on the others. "I trust you can come back as soon as something comes up?" Asked Suho as he walked over. "Yeah," said Taeil. "Don't worry, we'll hurry back if something comes up," he said. Suho nodded. "Don't forget to bring supplies before heading back," he said. Everyone headed over after a couple minutes, packed and ready. "Ready?" Asked Taeil. Everyone nodded. "Alright, let's go," said Taeil as Baekho and Suho opened the gates. Everyone left, and the gates closed behind them.

It took a couple days to get back to the capitol, Mark slowing them down slightly because he couldn't go at his usual pace which bothered both Jin and Jimin because they were sure they had fully healed him. "It's not your fault," Mark had said. "My body is trying to get used to travelling after an injury like that still," he said. "You may have healed me but my body is still trying to catch up to it," he said. "It still frustrates us," said Jin. "We feel like we didn't do our job," he said. "You did, don't worry," said Mark.

They reached the capitol gates, Mark being carried on Jaehyun's back because he got too tired to move on. "I'll take him home," said Jaehyun as he looked back at Mark who was fast asleep. "You sure? You're not too tired?" Asked Taeil. "Please, I had to carry JR back while sprinting at full speed," said Jaehyun as he shook his head. "I have this hyung," he said. "I'll go with you," said Jin. Jaehyun nodded and everyone walked into the capitol, Jin, Jaehyun and Jeonghan going to Mark's shared apartment after grabbing the key from Taeyong. "I'll go let the queen know of the events that happened," said Taeil. "You guys can go get supplies and recoup at Taeyong's apartment afterwards I guess," he said. "I'll go with you," said Namjoon. Taeil nodded and he headed to the palace with Namjoon. Taeyong and Hoseok went to the apartment to grab the cart before heading to the market district. Doyoung headed home with Jungkook to check on Sehun, Yezi and Baekhyun. Jimin, Yoongi and Taehyung were left to their own devices so they wondered around the capitol for a bit before heading over to Mark's apartment.

Jaehyun was sitting on the couch in the living room when Doyoung and Jungkook entered the apartment. "How's Mark?" Asked Doyoung. "He's sleeping, Jin checked him over again and nothing is wrong, Mark is just exhausted," said Jaehyun. "Well, at least his kidney isn't bothering him," said Doyoung. "I don't think we had the resources to do surgery at the time," he said. "Not to in or anything, but Jin and Jimin did what they could," said Jungkook. "True, but from Ren's experience it didn't work very well," said Doyoung. "Healing spells aren't everything, sometimes more is needed," he said. "Mm," said Jungkook.

Jin came out of the kitchen scratching the back of his head. "Nothing in your fridge," he said. "They usually buy their stuff fresh," said Jaehyun as he shrugs. "Mm," said Jin. "How's Mark doing?" asked Jungkook. "He's okay," said Jin. "Just exhausted," he said. "I guess he was right about his body catching up to the healing," he said.

Taeyong and Hoseok come home after a couple hours, dragging the cart into the apartment. Jaehyun went to hold the door open for them as they headed into the kitchen to put the stuff away in the fridge to use for later. "I think it's Taeil's turn to cook tonight," Jaehyun yelled from the livingroom. "Got it Jaehyun," Taeyong yelled back. He then went to put the cart away, before heading into his shared room to check on Mark. "How do you determine that?" Asked Jungkook as he looked curious. "To be honest, Mark, Taeyong and Taeil are the only people who can cook in our group," Jaehyun said with a laugh. "Usually Mark or Taeyong cooks, but Mark is exhausted and Taeyong went to get the ingredients for food," he said. "It goes by what the person did that day, if someone went to go get the ingredients and one person did something that exhausted them then it's up to the last person to cook," he said.

Taeil and Namjoon enter the apartment with Yoongi, Taehyung and Jimin in tow. "Hyung, it's your turn to cook," said Jaehyun. "Mm," said Taeil. "I'll get to it," he said before heading into the kitchen. "How'd the meeting go?" Asked Jungkook. "Mm," said Namjoon. "It went fine, the funeral is in a couple days," he said. "I think it'd be best if just your group went," he said to Jaehyun. "I feel like our group is intruding on yours, and this is a private moment for you guys," he said. "I'll talk to Taeil about it, I'm sure he doesn't mind you guys being there, I mean you were there for Minhyun's funeral," said Jaehyun. "That was different," said Namjoon. "We had to be there, but this time I don't think we have to," he said. "I think Mark would want JR's pocket watch," he said. "I think that is up to him to decide," said Jaehyun.

Mark came out of his room with Jeonghan behind him a little later when everyone was sitting in the living room playing a board game. "You guys are loud you know that?" He grumbled before heading into the kitchen. Taeil was in the kitchen preparing dinner. "You want what we had for lunch? I saved some for you," he said. "Nah, I'm okay, I can wait for dinner," said Mark. "Okay," said Taeil. "How are you feeling?" He asked. "I'm fine hyung," said Mark. "I was just really tired," he said. "Okay," said Taeil. "Do you want any help with dinner?" Asked Mark. "No, I'm fine," said Taeil. "Go relax in the livingroom, I'll get Jeonghan something," he said. Mark nodded and went into the livingroom, sitting on the couch beside Taeyong who was watching Namjoon and his group playing Monopoly.

"Hah! I win!" Said Taehyung as he grinned. "As always hyung," grumbled Jungkook as he pouted. Jin chuckled, tousling Jungkook's hair. "You'll get it next time," he said. Hoseok and Yoongi sighed. "Monopoly destroys relationships I swear," said Hoseok as he chuckled some. Doyoung chuckled from his perch on the couch arm. Jaehyun grinned, laughing some. "You always won these things though Taehyung," he said. "I know," said Taehyung as he beamed. "I'm surprised you guys never played Monopoly before," said Mark. Namjoon shrugs. "I'm sure we did before the war started, but we never had time for it afterwards," he said. "Mm," said Mark.

"Dinner's ready!" Taeil called from the kitchen. Mark tried to get up but found himself weak in the knees so he just fell back against the couch. He sighed. "Can someone get my plate?" He called as everyone went to get their food. "Sure Mark," said Taeyong, looking back at Mark concerned before he went into the kitchen. Jimin came over to Mark, looking concerned. "What happened?" He asked. "I don't know, I felt weak, and couldn't get up," said Mark. Jimin felt his forehead, tilting his head to the side. "How much sleep did you get?" He asked. "About 5 hours," said Mark. "Hm," said Jimin. "Can you let me know if you feel feverish?" He asked. Mark nodded. "Yeah," he said. Jimin nodded and moved away, going into the kitchen to get his share of dinner.

Taeyong came over and handed Mark his plate before sitting down beside him and eating from his own plate. Jaehyun sat on the other side of Mark with his own plate of food. Namjoon and his group crowded around the coffee table to play some more Monopoly.

After dinner Doyoung and Hoseok headed home, promising to be there for the funeral in a couple days. Jaehyun, Jin, Taehyung and Jungkook were next to head home, Jin wanting to get some sleep early. Mark retired to his room with Jeonghan, passing out on his bed. Yoongi, Namjoon, Taeyong, Taeil and Jimin stayed in the living room to relax a bit and play some Monopoly.

Mark had to be rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night, as he complained about a fever. He had started to cough up blood and Taeyong rushed him to the hospital in the cart. Jimin cursed not seeing to him sooner, hoping to at least help him more. The doctors and nurses rushed him into emergency surgery, after seeing that his kidney was failing him. "It's not your fault Jimin," said Taeyong as he sat in the waiting room waiting on the news. "You did your best," he said. "I know," mumbled Jimin. "We should've gotten him to the hospital quicker, I can't believe I missed that," he said. "We just have to hope that he'll make it," said Taeyong.