Chapter 19

The Next Generation

The next morning those who were going were ready to go, meeting at the outpost gates. Mark would leave Jeonghan here, because if they needed a messenger to head back to the capitol, Jeonghan would be able to make it back to the capitol without getting killed.

"Stay Jeonghan," said Mark when Jeonghan wanted to go with them. "We'll be okay, you need to be here in case someone needs you to go home," he said. Jeonghan whined, but sat down his ears flat against his skull. Mark sighed and went to pet him. "Be a good boy, we'll be back," he said.

"Does Xiumin have an idea of where he is?" Asked Taeil as he turned to Jungkook. Jungkook nodded. "He'll be ready to lead us out when we head out," he said. "Good luck," said Doyoung. "Thanks, stay safe," said Taeil. "Mark you ready to go?" Asked Hoseok. "Yeah," said Mark as he walked over. Jimin and Jaehyun were the last to walk over, Jimin rubbing his arm some. "I don't know how useful I can be," said Jimin. "But I know I may need to heal so I'll try my best to heal everyone," he said. "Don't worry, we may need you for something other than healing, we'll see," said Jaehyun, as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Everyone ready?" Asked Taeil. Everyone nodded. "Open the gates!" Shouted Taeil. Jin and Taehyung, who were up on the wall went over to the gate cranks and started winding the cranks, getting the gates open. Taeil, Mark, Hoseok, Jungkook, Jaehyun and Jimin left the outpost, the gates closing behind them. "Good luck guys," said Jin and Taehyung.

Jungkook looked at his orb wondering when it was going to start leading them. It then darted forward and everyone ran after it, heading into the kingdom of EXO. Mark considered asking Daehyun and friends for help but that involved going to the capitol, and they were technically there illegally. When he brought it up to the others they decided against it. "What if they were the people that attacked the outpost? Out here everyone that isn't us is the enemy," said Taeil. "And we are here illegally," he said. "Your call hyung," said Jungkook. "We'll keep going," said Taeil. "How close are we?" He asked. "We're nearby, the place they have him at is over the hill over there," said Jungkook as he pointed. "Okay, who's good at scouting?" Asked Taeil. "I am," said Jaehyun and Mark. "Okay, go scout the area out, try not to be spotted," said Taeil. Mark and Jaehyun nod before running off towards the compound.

Mark found a tree nearby and climbed up to the top to spy on the compound. Jaehyun went along the wall, keeping low so he wasn't spotted as he listened in for any idea of where JR would be at. Mark couldn't see much from where he was at, but he watched the area where Jaehyun was carefully in case he got caught.

Jaehyun circled around the wall of the compound before running back to Mark. "Anything?" Asked Mark. "I couldn't find much out with just my sense of hearing," said Jaehyun. "But I found his scent, so I have an idea of where it's at," he said. "Good," said Mark. "Let's head back," he said before he ran back to the others. Jaehyun ran after him.

"Well?" Asked Taeil. "We have an idea of where he is at," said Jaehyun. "We can work on getting him from there," he said. Taeil nodded. "We strike them tonight," he said. "Under the cover of darkness we can get him, get in and get out," he said. "Mark I'm gonna need you and Jungkook to stay out and cover us if we get spotted," he said. "Jaehyun and Hoseok can come with me, Hoseok and I covering Jaehyun as he sniffs out JR," he said. "Jimin I need you to stay out here and be on standbye in case we need you immediately," he said. "Is everyone okay with those plans?" He asked. Everyone nodded.

Later that night when things had quieted down in the camp Mark motioned to the others that things had gone quiet. Jungkook came over to the tree he was in with Jimin. "Everyone's ready to go," said Jimin. Mark hopped down from the tree and they went over to the entrance. Hoseok, Jaehyun, and Taeil met them at the entrance, nodding. "Careful," said Mark. "We will be," said Taeil before they headed into the compound.

They took advantage of being in the shadows as Jaehyun sniffed out where JR was. There were guards patrolling but they quickly hid behind stacks of boxes slowly getting closer to where Jaehyun smelled JR's scent. They were almost at the spot when an alarm rang out. "Damn it," said Taeil. "I don't think that's for us," Jaehyun said quietly. "We need to hurry then," said Hoseok. "In case that is for us," he said. They quickly but quietly ran to where JR was being held and looked around before sneaking into the tent. "There," said Jaehyun as he ran over to JR. Taeil came over and checked his vitals, cursing. "He's critical, we need to get him out and have Jimin look at him," he said. "We can't," said Hoseok as he was keeping watch. "It's only a matter of time before they find us here," he said.

There was soon an explosion outside, causing them to jump in surprise. "The hell?" Asked Hoseok as he checked outside. "It's Jungkook, they must've been spotted," he said. "Jaehyun how fast can you change?" Asked Taeil. "Fast enough," said Jaehyun as he quickly stripped and changed. Taeil grabbed JR making sure to be careful with him and put him on Jaehyun's back before grabbing Jaehyun's clothes. Jaehyun growled, ready to charge out of there. "Go, find the others we'll be right behind you," said Taeil. Jaehyun made sure JR was secure on his back before he charged out of the tent, barreling over the guards and rushing towards the entrance.

"Ready?" Asked Hoseok. "Yeah," said Taeil as they heard more shouting. They ran out of the tent, attacking anyone who stood in their way. Mark had made his way to the top of the wall shooting arrows to distract the enemy. Jungkook was in the middle of the crowd sending ice spears out of the ground to kill off the enemy. "Go!" Yelled Taeil as he spotted Jungkook. Jungkook nodded and ran towards the entrance. "Mark!" Yelled Taeil. "Give us a bit more cover!" He yelled. Mark doubled his efforts in distracting the enemy as Taeil and Hoseok reached the entrance behind Jungkook.

There was suddenly a yell in pain as Mark was shot with an arrow, the impact making him fall off the wall. "Mark!" Yelled Taeil as he rushed to his side. "Can you stand?" He asked as he looked over Mark's wound in his side. "I dunno hyung," mumbled Mark as he looked scared. "Am I going to die here hyung?" He asked, wincing as Taeil tried to remove the arrow. "No, you will not die here," Taeil said with certainty as he helped Mark stand. "Come on, we need to get out of here," he said, before he led Mark away from the compound, Jungkook making distractions as they ran. They were soon joined by the others, Jaehyun whimpering at Mark's condition. "I'll be fine hyung," muttered Mark as he looked pale. "Jimin needs to look at JR first," he mumbled. "The arrow is keeping me from bleeding out for the time being, we need to go," he said. Taeil looked conflicted as he hesitated. "Jimin look at JR first," he said. Jimin nodded and went to check on JR.

After a bit they had to make the decision to make their way back. Taeil was staying with Mark to make sure he could make it back. Jaehyun had to rush back with Jungkook and JR because Jin could take a look at JR in case Jimin missed anything. Hoseok and Jimin stayed back with Mark and Taeil since Mark couldn't make it far without nearly passing out due to pain.

"Mark-ah, we need to remove the arrow," said Taeil as they had to stop again for the 50th time. They weren't even halfway to the outpost at this point. Mark shook his head. "Hyung, I'll be fine," he said. "It didn't pierce anything vital did it?" Asked Jimin. "I don't know," grunted out Mark as they started to move again. Mark bit back a whimper in pain as they started to move a bit quicker.

They stopped again when when Mark stumbled, nearly causing Taeil to drop him. "That's it, we're removing the arrow," said Taeil. Mark shook his head. "Mark, we need to," said Hoseok. "We're not making much progress getting back to the outpost and you're clearly in pain," he said. "Jimin can heal you enough to get back and we can have Jin look at you from there," he said.

Mark eventually caved, nodding. Taeil set him down and tore an area of his shirt away from the wound. Mark whimpered and Taeil gave him a piece of cloth to bite on while they removed the back end of the arrow for easy removal. "Okay, don't tense up now," said Taeil. "We'll be quick," he said. Mark nodded. "Ready?" Taeil asked Hoseok. Hoseok nodded and grabbed the other end of the arrow. Jimin held Mark in place as Hoseok prepared to remove the arrow. "3... 2... 1... Go!" Said Taeil. Hoseok yanked the arrow out as quickly as possible as Mark screamed into the piece of cloth he had been biting. Jimin quickly checked the wound, putting his hands on both ends and letting the healing magic do its thing. Mark had passed out from the pain. "Okay, I'll carry him," said Taeil. Hoseok helped put Mark on Taeil's back and they quickly ran back to the outpost, trying not to jostle Mark.

"Open the gates!" Shouted Taeil as they reached the outpost. "We have a critically injured person!" He shouted. Doyoung and Jin were up on the wall when they heard Taeil and they worked to wind the cranks to open the gates. Jeonghan rushed out to his master as soon as the gates were open enough for him to slip through, whining. "He's fine Jeonghan," said Taeil. "Hopefully," he added as he ran inside the outpost with Hoseok, Jeonghan and Jimin following behind. Jin rushed down to meet them, Hoseok rushing up to the wall to take his post. Doyoung looked worried as he wondered what was going to happen to Mark. Taeil took Mark to the infirmary, laying him down in one of the cots. Jin checked his vitals to see if there was anything Jimin missed.

"God damn it," said Jin as he checked where Jimin had healed the wound. "His kidney isn't doing so well," he said as he checked Mark's temperature. Jimin paced back and forth. "I should've checked more... I'm sorry hyung," he mumbled. "It's alright," said Jin. "Get me an IV we need to get him stabilized and fast," he said. Jimin rushed to get the IV, Jin putting the needle in Mark's arm and hanging it on the hook. He then checked Mark for any other wounds, grumbling random medical nonsense that Taeil couldn't really follow. Jin checked Mark for any poisons, mumbling to himself as he did so.

"Mark? Mark!" Said Jin as he suddenly heard Mark's breathing stop. "We're losing him!" He said as he rushed to do CPR. Jimin rushed over to help, doing what he could to get Mark's heart and lungs to work again. "God damn it," said Jin. "I didn't think they'd do this to him, he's just a kid!" He said. "Stay with us Mark!" Said Jin as he used his healing magic to try and keep his organs from failing. "Come on, pull through kid pull through!" He said.