Chapter 31

The Next Generation

There wasn't much progress on Mark getting his speech back as they planned how to take back the capitol. Mark communicated with a pen and paper now so people didn't have to keep asking him yes or no questions. Jin was still frustrated with not being able to use his healing magic, and Jimin was still able to use his.

Yoongi was out teaching Mark how to use the crossbow at long distances. This was easy, as Yoongi only needed to show him. They had managed to make another crossbow thanks to getting parts at a local armory in a nearby town. They had to wear cloaks when heading out because they didn't want to be caught by the enemy.

"Okay kid," said Yoongi as he set up a target in the forest near their camp. "See that stump there?" He asked, pointing. Mark looked, nodding when he saw it. "Go to that point with your crossbow, this is only 100 meters away," said Yoongi. Mark went to stand next to the stump, bringing up the crossbow and loading the arrow onto it. "Fire when ready," said Yoongi. Mark took aim, taking a deep breath and firing. Yoongi blinked when it hit dead center. "Huh," he said. "I guess your training did help," he said. "Go back a bit more and let's see what your limit is," he said. Mark nodded and continued going backwards every 50 meters until he could no longer hit the target. "Wow, 500 meters?" Asked Yoongi. Mark beamed, looking proud. "Are you sure you never used a crossbow before?" Yoongi asked with a chuckle. Mark cracked a smile.

Jeonghan came to them with a note, Mark going to check the pouch. Yoongi came over to see what was up. Mark showed him the note. I don't want to ruin you two's fun but we're running out of food again. mind going hunting? Said the note. Yoongi sighed and nodded. "Ready to go hunt?" He asked. Mark nodded, going to grab his trusty bow. Yoongi went to grab his bow and slung the quiver over his shoulder. "Go Jeonghan, go find us some deer," he said. Jeonghan went into full hunting mode, going after a scent. Mark went after Jeonghan, keeping the string on his bow drawn with Yoongi running after them both.

The three of them were caught off guard by Youngjae's appearance. Youngjae smirked. "Hello Mark, Yoongi," he said. "I see you're doing well Mark," he said. Yoongi scowled. "You leave Mark alone," he said, going to stand in front of Mark. Jeonghan growled, standing beside Yoongi with his fur standing on end. He bared his teeth, preparing for a pounce.

"Now, let's see how my magic worked on the kid," said Youngjae as he snapped his fingers. Mark's eyes widened as they took on a cloudy look. Yoongi turned around to look at Mark, backing up slowly. Jeonghan looked unsure as he continued to growl, but he went to stand by his master. "Fight it Mark! You need to fight it!" said Yoongi as he turned slightly to look at Youngjae. "Perfect," said Youngjae. "Mark, kill him," he said. Mark took out his crossbow, quickly loading an arrow into the chamber. "Oh hell no," said Yoongi as he ran off. "Go Jeonghan," said Mark. Jeonghan barked, chasing after Yoongi. Mark chased after his dog, as Youngjae was heard laughing.

Yoongi was running as quickly as he could trying to get back to camp, but Jeonghan was herding him away from camp and back towards Mark. Mark hopped into a tree, taking aim. He waited until Yoongi came into view, taking a deep breath as he fired the arrow. Yoongi didn't even have a chance to dodge as he was shot in the chest with an arrow. He looked shocked as he fell backwards, coughing up blood. as he landed on his back. Mark hopped down, as his dog ran over. Mark took out a spare knife, walking over to Yoongi. "Snap out of it kid," Yoongi said as he coughed up blood. Mark's expression turned cold as he leaned down, removing the arrow. "Sorry Yoongi," he said, before stabbing Yoongi in the chest repeatedly. Yoongi didn't bother to fight back, letting himself die.

Mark came back to his senses, dropping the knife. His eyes returned to normal as he looked down at Yoongi. He found his voice gone again as he sobbed, punching the ground. Why couldn't he stop himself? What the hell had caused him to do this? Jeonghan whined as he went over to his master. Mark reached for the pouch, finding the pen and notepad in it. He wrote his location down on it, before putting it in the pouch on Jeonghan's collar. He then pushed Jeonghan in the direction of camp, as Jeonghan ran off.

Doyoung, Jungkook, and Jackson looked at their orbs as they summoned themselves. "What the hell happened?" Asked Doyoung. "We should've sent someone after Mark," said Jungkook as he looked at Jackson. "Hoseok?" Asked Jackson. Hoseok walked into the room, looking grim. "You need to get to Mark right now," he said. "Youngjae had him kill Yoongi," he said. "WHAT?!" Shouted Doyoung, Jungkook and Jackson. Taeil walked into the room, looking confused. "Where's Jaehyun?" Asked Doyoung. "Resting, why?" Asked Taeil. "We need his tracking, right now," said Jungkook.

Jaehyun walked into the room. "What's up?" He asked. "We need you to track Mark," said Doyoung. Jaehyun blinked, taking note on how serious the situation was as he nodded. "Give me a shirt of his or something," he said. Jeonghan ran into the room, barking. Doyoung checked the pouch. "We have his location," he said. "But I don't know where this is," he said. Taeil went to grab one of Mark's shirts. "Here," he said, handing it to Jaehyun who sniffed it. "Follow me," he said before running out. Doyoung, Jungkook, Jackson, and Taeil ran after him, Hoseok disappearing. Jeonghan went with them, wanting to get back to his master.

They found Mark still sitting by Yoongi's body, whimpering softly. "Mark," called Doyoung. Mark looked up, backing away from them. "Mark, we're not mad at you," said Taeil as he walked over to Mark. "Hobi explained what had happened," he said. "Come on, let's get you cleaned up," he said, pulling Mark to his feet. "I'll take him back," said Jungkook. Mark looked between his hyungs, looking unsure. "Do you want to go back now or wait until after we burn Yoongi's body?" Asked Taeil. Mark pointed to Yoongi, and Taeil understood. "He's staying," said Taeil. Jacskon turned away, as Jaehyun and Jungkook grabbed some firewood. Mark got the honors of setting the body on fire so he did so.

Hoseok appeared with his hands in his pockets. "We'll get Youngjae back for this," he said. "It was too early for you to die anyway hyung," he said, shaking his head. Yoongi appeared next to Doyoung. "Ya think so? I would've loved a break from it all," he said. Everyone jumped, turning to look at Yoongi. "No way," said Doyoung. Yoongi nodded. "It's my second chance at life, I guess," he said, chuckling some. He turned to Mark. "I forgive ya kid," he said. "It was out of your control, we need to be a bit more careful with you now," he said. Mark nodded. "Well, let's head back," said Doyoung. Jaehyun nodded and led them back, Hoseok and Yoongi disappearing.