Chapter 28

The Next Generation

The next attack happened a week after the first, and though Doyoung was able to warn them it didn't stop them from taking over the capitol. The queen had let the guards go, letting them escape for the time being through an underground path. They ran to the nearest town, keeping low and making sure everyone was alright.

"I can't believe we lost the capitol," grumbled Mark as he was hunting with his dog. It had given him the chance to start using the crossbow at least, and he was getting used to it. He couldn't go without his trusty bow though, that had been a gift to him from Ren. He watched as Jeonghan ran forward, going towards a scent. Mark got the crossbow ready as he followed after his dog. "Also why did they send me out alone again? Oh right, because Yoongi is critical and Taeil is helping Jin and Jimin," he said, sighing. He caught up to his dog, hiding in the bushes when he realized he was near an enemy camp. He bird called for his dog who ran over to him. Mark took out a piece of paper and a pen, writing something down in it. "Get back to camp boy, tell the others where this is," he said putting the note in the pouch attached to the collar. "Go," he said, and Jeonghan ran back to camp.

Mark scouted the area, going up into a tree to see what he could. He wished Jaehyun or Baekho was here, but they were scouting the capitol at the moment. Mark kept an eye on things, hoping that he wouldn't be caught as he brought the crossbow up to aim at someone. He faltered when he heard something below him. He looked down, noticing that he had been spotted. "Damn it," he said. "Get down with your hands up!" Said the person on the ground. Mark climbed down, keeping his second bow in his bag. He kept the crossbow up as he held up his hands. He was knocked out by a blow to the back of the head.

Jeonghan reached the camp, barking. Doyoung had been resting when he heard Jeonghan. He sat up, going to Jeonghan. "What is it boy?" He asked as he checked the bag on the collar. "Damn," he said. "Guys we have a problem!" He called. Jungkook scrambled into the room, his orb summoned. "I think we have an even bigger problem," he said. "Mark's been captured," he said. "We have his location," said Doyoung.

"Call Baekho and Jaehyun back, we may need them," said Taeil as he came over. Doyoung nodded and put a note in the pouch of Jeonghan's collar. "Go get Jaehyun and Baekho boy!" He said, and Jeonghan ran off to find Jaehyun and Baekho. "What's the situation?" Asked Taeil. "I don't know," said Doyoung. "We have the location of the camp, that much we know of," said Jungkook. "We need to be careful when heading out," said Taeil. Doyoung and Jungkook nodded.

Jaehyun and Baekho were hidden in a tree watching the activity of the capitol when they heard Jeonghan run over to them. Jaehyun hopped down to see what was up. "What is it boy?" He asked as he checked the pouch on the collar. "God damn it," he said as he read the note. "Baekho we need to head back," he said, looking up into the tree. "Mark's been captured," he said. Baekho scowled, before nodding and jumping down. "One of us should've gone hunting with him," he said. "Yeah," said Jaehyun before he ran back with Baekho and Jeonghan.

"When do we head out?" Asked Jaehyun as he walked into their temporary base. "We need to plan," said Taeil. "We can't just rush in there without planning, especially with Yoongi not being able to provide cover if Jungkook and Doyoung can't," he said. "Don't be hasty Jaehyun," said Baekho. "We have limited resources as it is," he said. "Where's Taeyong?" He asked. "He's still out of it some, not at full strength but I think he'll be able to head out," said Taeil. "Jin and Jimin are doing what they can," he said. "He's not as bad as Yoongi right now, so he's not top priority," he said.

"I'm fine," grumbled Taeyong as he walked into the room. He looked determined as he looked at Taeil. "We need to save Mark," he said. "I heard what they do to their captured prisoners, we need to get to him before something happens," he said. "How is your back?" Asked Taeil. "There's a large scar, but I'll be fine," said Taeyong. "It's not hurting like it was when we got attacked the second time," he said. "Their healing magic is failing them," muttered Jungkook as he looked at Doyoung. Doyoung had come to the same conclusion as his eyes widened.

"It can't be," said Taeil as he looked surprised. "Is it possible?" He asked. "Ren says that healing magic can fail sometimes, it looks like we won't have our healers for a bit," said Doyoung. "And Hobi says that he saw Jimin try to heal him but it just stopped, he died before the magic even touched him," said Jungkook. "We're lucky we managed to save Yoongi, but Ren says that the outlook isn't good right now," he said. "We can't lose Yoongi," said Taehyung as he walked into the room. "Jimin will be crushed, did you see how he reacted when he couldn't even save Hobi?" He asked. "Instead of sitting here thinking about how the healing magic is going to fail how about we plan?" He asked.

"I'll plan," said Taeil. "But right now we need to look at our supplies and see what we can use to save our youngest," he said. "I'll do that," said Taehyung before he went to check on their supplies. "I'll go scout," said Jaehyun. "I'm going with you," said Jungkook. Jaehyun nodded and they left to go scout the area where Mark was being held at.

 

~



Mark slowly woke, feeling that his hands were tied behind his back. He felt a throbbing in the back of his head as he looked around. He tested the bindings around his hands and found they held fast. He looked up when he heard movement, a flap opening and sunlight flowing into the room. He saw he was in a tent as someone walked in.

"What the hell do you want?" He spat. "Aw, kiddo you don't recognize me?" Asked Daehyun. "You," spat Mark. "What do you want?" He asked. Daehyun smirked, cracking his knuckles. "I pretended to be your friend to get to the capitol," he said. "Now we have it," he said. "The rest of your friends will die off one by one now that your healers are losing their ability to heal your friends," he said. "You stopped their healing?" Asked Mark. "No, it's the mental state," said Daehyun. "They can't heal when their mental state isn't very good," he said. "You leave them alone," spat Mark. "Oh, it's not me that's going to kill them off," said Daehyun. Mark struggled with his restraints, glaring at Daehyun. "You won't break me," he spat. "I don't need to," said Daehyun as he smirked.

Youngjae walked into the tent, with his arms crossed. Mark looked up at Youngjae, as Youngjae walked forward and pulled Mark to his feet. "He won't be the one breaking you, I will," Youngjae said with a smirk. He held up a hand that started to glow, and put it to Mark's forehead.

All throughout the camp you could hear Mark's screams in agony.