Chapter 18

The Next Generation

Baekho and Suho finally woke up about a week after Taeil and the others arrived at the outpost. Jeonghan was the first to alert everyone, having gone to lay by their beds, keeping an eye on them.

Mark and Taeyong were up on the wall for their shifts when they heard Jeonghan barking. "Want me to go see what's up?" Asked Mark. "Yeah, I got it from here," said Taeyong. Mark ran down into the compound, heading into the barracks. Jin and Jimin were not too far behind, having been making lunch in the mess hall kitchen. "Hyungs!" Mark said as he saw that Suho and Baekho were awake. "Mark, go get them some water," said Jin. Mark nodded and ran to get water while Jin and Jimin checked on them.

"We're here to help, we're the refugees from Bangtan," said Jimin when Suho asked who he was. "The rest of our group is here, they've been helping out," he said. "How are you guys feeling?" Asked Jin. "Fine, but how long were we out?" Asked Baekho. "A week, we've been keeping an eye on you," said Jin. "Do you know where JR disappeared off to?" He asked. "He was captured," mumbled Baekho. "We tried to get to him but they blew up the place, we were bombarded with debris," he said. "Who did?" Asked Jin. "Some idiots from across the border," said Baekho. "All I know is that they weren't familiar, so it wasn't those people here before," he said.

Mark came back with water, giving it to Baekho and Suho to drink. He looked concerned, yet curious, he was wondering what had happened to JR. "We'll tell you later," said Jin. "Jimin why don't you go back and finish making lunch," he said to Jimin. "Sure," said Jimin. "Come on Mark," he said. Mark nodded and left with Jimin. "He was going to lose it if you two didn't wake up," Jin said to them. "I know we shouldn't keep him in the dark about JR but we'll wait until tonight," he said. "I think this is how Taemin was," mumbled Baekho. "We have to be careful now," he said. "Talking to him has helped some, but I don't know how long it'll be before he snaps," said Jin.

Doyoung was sent up to the wall to cover Mark's shift for a little bit since Mark was helping Jimin with finishing lunch. "I think I know where JR is," he said. "We'll have to cross over to rescue him don't we?" Asked Taeyong as he turned to Doyoung. "Yeah," said Doyoung. "There isn't a guarantee that we'll make it out of there alive, but it's best if we send those that are able," he said. "This means we may need to bring one of the healers," said Taeyong. "Mm," said Doyoung. "We can recreate our team and go from there," he said. "Send some of us out while leaving the rest to protect the outpost," he said. "Talk to Taeil and Namjoon about that," said Taeyong. "They can figure out something," he said. "Alright," said Doyoung.

Mark brought up lunch to them, taking back over his shift. Doyoung headed back down into the outpost, taking his lunch with him. "Thanks Mark," said Taeyong as he was handed a plate for lunch. They ate in silence as Mark looked over the horizon. "What's on your mind Mark?" Asked Taeyong. "I know JR is still missing," said Mark. "I want to be on the team to head out to find him," he said. "Why do you say that?" Asked Taeyong. "I feel like it'd be easier on my sanity, everyone can see how close I am to breaking, I think I'd rather find him alive or dead then live in the dark, delving more into the dark thoughts," said Mark. Taeyong was quiet as he contemplated this. "We'll see what Taeil-hyung and Namjoon-hyung say okay? But I'll put in word about it so they consider it," he said. Mark nodded.

Jin and Hoseok were sent up to relieve Mark and Taeyong from their shift a little bit after dinner. Taeyong went to find Namjoon and Taeil, who were sitting by the bonfire discussing who would go and get JR. "Hyungs," he said, catching their attention. "What's up Taeyong?" Asked Namjoon. "I want to talk about Mark," said Taeyong. "He talked to me during our shift today," he said. "He wants to be on the team to go rescue JR," he said. "We all know how close he is to breaking, and he said that this may help his mental health a little," he said. "He doesn't want to be kept in the dark, it'll drive him crazy," he said. "Mm," said Taeil. "I think we can add him to the group," said Namjoon. "As close as he is to breaking, he's stayed level headed this entire time, and if Taemin didn't act like this, then we know that his mental state isn't bad if he's opening up to you again," he said. "We'll add him to the group," said Taeil. "Thanks for the input," he said. Taeyong nodded and went to the barracks to get some sleep.

A couple days later, Taeil and Namjoon had the list of people going ready. They called a meeting and everyone gathered around the bonfire. "We put into consideration everyone's skills and who would go and rescue JR," said Taeil. "I want to let you know that we thought very carefully about our decision," he said. "So the team going to rescue JR includes: Mark, Jungkook, Jaehyun, Hoseok, Jimin, and I," he said. "Everyone else is needed to guard the outpost in case we're attacked again," said Namjoon. "We leave tomorrow after sunrise, so rest up and pack lightly for the journey," said Taeil. "Those who are staying can take your shifts up on the wall," he said. "Dismissed," he said. Everyone went their separate ways, going to pack and get some rest. Namjoon and Jin took Jimin and Hoseok's shift on the wall that night.