Chapter 13

The Next Generation

Taeyong was quickly caught up on things, and Mark stayed by his side the entire time, which no one complained about. They knew out of everyone, Mark was the closest to Taeyong. Taeyong didn't mind Mark's clingy nature, because he knew that everyone was worried for him.

Mark was on the wall for patrols with his dog, Taeyong, and Taehyung, who was now equipped with a sword. The three of them had become close friends ever since Mark had talked to Taehyung about how he was feeling. When Mark wasn't with Taeyong, he was with Taehyung much to Taeyong's amusement. "One of these days we will spar," said Taeyong. Taehyung laughs. "Well, we'll see," he said. "Don't get jealous hyung," said Mark. "I'm not jealous," said Taeyong. "I hear you were self taught, I want to test your skills," he said. "Mm," said Taehyung. "Maybe after we head back to the capitol," he said. "If we do," said Taeyong.

Jeonghan growled suddenly, causing Mark to look over the border. "What is it boy?" Asked Mark as he looked over the horizon. Doyoung came up to the wall, with his orb summoned. "I think we need to head back to the capitol," he said. "What?" Asked Mark as he turned to Doyoung. "Chen says someone is waiting for us, wanting to see us," said Doyoung. "What about the outpost?" Asked Mark. "JR, Baekho, and Suho can keep watch," said Doyoung. "The queen needs us, and Jin and Taehyung to head back to the capitol right away," he said. "Chen says that a friend of yours has come back to the capitol," he said, looking at Mark. "Oh, Daehyun and company," said Mark. "I did them to the northern borders, something must've happened," he said. "Who's ready to go?" Asked Taeyong. "Everyone but you three," said Doyoung. "We're taking the cart back, and we'll send supplies to the outpost for JR and the others," he said. Mark nodded and turned to Taeyong. "Go get packed," said Taeyong. "I'm sure Jin packed for me, but I'll go see," said Taehyung before he went down from the wall. Mark went after him to pack, Taeyong shaking his head and going to prepare the cart. Jeonghan went with Taeyong to get the cart ready to be attached to the harness. Doyoung went to help the others with last minute things.

JR, Baekho, and Suho went to the outpost gates, meeting the others as they came over one by one. "We'll keep an eye on things from here," said JR as Doyoung, Mark, Taeyong, and Jeonghan were the last to walk over with the cart attached to Jeonghan's harness by a rope. "I trust you will know immediately if something happens," he said to Doyoung. Doyoung nodded. "I will, do not worry about that," he said. "Have a safe trip back," said JR. "We will, stay alive for us alright?" Asked Taeyong. JR and the others nod. Taeyong and company leave, going quickly back to the capitol.

With Mark's quick pace and Jaehyun dragging the cart back the last quarter of the way there they made it back to the capitol in record timing. "This is like deja vu," mumbled Mark as they stood at the gates to the capitol. Jaehyun snorts, rubbing his snout with his paw. "You want to go change first?" Taeyong asked Jaehyun. Jaehyun shrugs, before he walked into the capitol. Mark and Jeonghan follow after him, and soon the others did too. They dropped by Taeyong's apartment to get Jaehyun a change of clothes and let him change and drop off the cart before they headed to the palace, wondering why they were summoned.

"I'm sure you are wondering why I have summoned all of you," said the queen as Taeyong and company entered the throne room. "The rebel group in Bangtan has asked to become refugees in our capitol, and it was only fair to bring the three refugees back along with the guard," she said. "I trust your judgement on things," she said, nodding to Taeil. "Yes your highness," said Taeil as he bowed. "Jaehyun, I know you were a refugee when you appeared in our capitol suddenly, only about two years after I was rescued," she said. "I have not forgotten your refugee status, however now that you are a part of the guard you are considered a citizen," she said. Jaehyun nodded. Jin and Taehyung were silent as they wondered who in the rebel forces had managed to cross over into Nu'est.

"Bring them in," said the queen. The castle guards when to open the doors and everyone turned to see who the new refugees were. "Daehyun, Youngjae, Jackson," said Mark, smiling some as he saw them. "Hey kid," said Daehyun. Youngjae and Jackson nod their heads in acknowledgement. 5 more people stepped into the room and Jin and Taehyung tackle someone they could only assume was Jungkook. "Kookie!" Said Taehyung. "Oof, hi hyungs," said Jungkook as he laughs. "Namjoon," said Mark as he nodded in Namjoon's direction. Namjoon smiled, nodding to Mark. "Hello again Mark," he said.

"I know that you were originally here for helping the rebel forces in Bangtan," the queen said, addressing Daehyun, Youngjae, and Jackson. "But it seems your king has decided to attack our outpost," she said. "We had no idea that would happen your highness," said Daehyun as he bowed. "Our king simply sent us out to help Bangtan, we didn't know he was planning an attack at your outpost," he said, straightening. "What does Chen say?" Asked the queen as she turned to Doyoung, who was studying the situation with a slight tilt of his head. "The attack came suddenly," said Doyoung. "If it was preplanned I know I would've been let known of it before we even saw them the first time," he said. "We also sent supplies back to the outpost in one of the neighboring towns, they were running low on them," he said. The queen nodded.

"Unfortunately I would have to send you back, with escorts of course," she said. "That is fine," said Daehyun. "We did our job, even if they lost the war," he said. "I'll go," said Mark. "I'll go with him," said Taeyong. "It's settled, though Taeyong, I suggest you be careful, I heard you were critical after that battle," said the queen. "I was, but I am fine now, thanks to Jin and his healing magic," said Taeyong. The queen nodded. "You may leave whenever," she said. Mark and Taeyong nod and bow before leaving the throne room, Daehyun, Youngjae and Jackson going after them.

"Now, Namjoon, Jimin, Hoseok, Yoongi, and Jungkook," said the queen as she addressed the newcomers. Jin and Taehyung went back to standing with Jaehyun and company, albeit reluctantly. "Your highness," said Namjoon as he stepped forward. "I will grant you refugee status for the time being, until your leader comes and asks for you," said the queen. "However, you are on probation for the time being, as we can't risk anything right now, especially with what had happened at the southern borders," she said. "We are fine with that," said Namjoon. "Someone from the guard will take each of you under their wing for the time being, and whoever is left will go to Mark and Taeyong," said the queen.

"I will take Jungkook," said Jaehyun. "I'm already sharing my apartment with his cousins, I think a family reunion is long overdue at this point," he said. "I will take Jimin," said Taeil. "I heard he was a healer like Jin, maybe I can try and learn the healing magic," he said. "I will take Hoseok," said Doyoung. "Chen and the others have said to go with him," he said. "That leaves Yoongi and Namjoon with Mark and Taeyong," said the queen. "Are you five okay with that?" She asked. "Yes your highness," said Namjoon and company. "Dismissed then," she said. Everyone leaves the throne room.