Chapter 12

The Next Generation

Taeyong was getting better as Jin made sure to help heal him. No one expected Jin to have the rare healing magic, but they were happy that they had a healer in their group now. After making sure JR and Taeyong were okay Jin went to check on Taeil and Doyoung.

"What can you do?" Mark asked Taehyung as they patrolled the outpost walls. Jeonghan was with Mark like usual, and Taehyung loved to give him attention. "Erm, I'm not special like Jin-hyung or anything," said Taehyung as he scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. "I'm pretty decent in using a sword, but that's about it, self taught," he said. "That's cool," Mark said with a smile. "You and Taeil-hyung should spar sometime, maybe Taeyong too when he's better," he said. Taehyung laughs. "Maybe I will," he said.

Doyoung met them on the wall, leaning down to scratch Jeonghan behind the ears before standing and smiling some at Mark and Taehyung. "What's up?" Asked Mark. "Oh nothing, we're happy you're back," said Doyoung. He looked over the wall and into the distance. "It's not like I ran away for no reason," said Mark. "I know," said Doyoung. "You did so much for us, and even though the others don't say it out loud we are grateful," he said. Mark nodded. "That's good, I guess," he said, not sure on how to respond to that.

Jin came up to the wall, nodding to Doyoung and Mark. "You hungry?" He asked Taehyung and Mark. "No," said Mark. "Sure," said Taehyung, as he turned to Jin. "You're quieter than usual, what's up?" Asked Jin. "Nothing to worry about," said Taehyung as he smiled slightly. "Not yet anyway," he said. Jin nodded. "Come on, let's get something to eat," he said, leading Taehyung down to the mess hall.

Mark turned to Doyoung. "That was weird," he said. "Mm," said Doyoung. "Don't worry, if something is wrong I'll know immediately," he said. Mark nodded, looking over the horizon passed the wall. Jeonghan barked, and Mark pet him on the head. "It's alright buddy," he said. "How's Taeyong?" He asked, turning to Doyoung. "Mm," said Doyoung. "He's okay, Jin did what he could now we need to wait on him to come back to us," he said. "Everyone else is fine though, Jaehyun and the other shape shifters bounced back the fastest," he said. "Of course they would," Mark said with a chuckle. "They heal really quickly, I'm not surprised at all," he said.

They were soon joined by Jaehyun and Taeil, who looked a lot better. "You look better," remarked Doyoung as he saw Taeil. "I still feel tired, but yeah, I'm fine," said Taeil. "Is Taeyong awake yet?" Asked Mark. Taeil shook his head no. "Jin says he'll wake up soon though," he said. "He was still critical when Minhyun died, he nearly died himself trying to stop the person from getting to Minhyun," he said. Mark nodded some. "Who rescued him?" He asked. "I did," said Jaehyun. "I also grabbed Minhyun's body by the shirt in case he was still alive, but when we went to open the gates I noticed he was dead," he said. "We had to burn the body, but we saved his pocket watch," he said. Mark nodded.

"I think Jeonghan wants to see Taeyong," said Jaehyun as Jeonghan sat down, looking at Mark expectantly. "Mm," said Mark as he looked at Jeonghan. "Okay," he said. "But you can't do anything until Taeyong is awake okay?" He asked Jeonghan. Jeonghan wagged his tail. "I'll take him," said Doyoung. Mark nodded. "Go Jeonghan," he said. Doyoung left and Jeonghan went with him.

Jaehyun sighed, causing Mark to look at him. "What's up?" Asked Mark. "I feel horrible for not getting to Minhyun before it was too late," said Jaehyun. "And the fact that JR and Taeyong almost died makes me feel even worse," he said. "Everyone feels that way at some point," said Taeil. "Don't feel responsible for Minhyun's death, he saved Taeyong, and I did my best to help JR when he went to help you get Taeyong and Minhyun into the outpost," he said. "All of us had a hand in doing something to try and help them," he said. "Even Doyoung in his exhausted state tried to keep the gates open long enough for you to get through and close the door before any enemies got through," he said. "I guess you're right," mumbled Jaehyun.

"I'm going down to the mess hall, and then I'm going to check on Taeyong," said Mark. "We'll keep watch from here," said Taeil. Mark nodded and went down from the wall. He headed into the mess hall to grab a quick bite to eat before heading into the infirmary to check on Taeyong. Jeonghan was sleeping on the ground beside Taeyong's bed. Mark smiled some at his dog before going to stand beside Taeyong's bed. "Hey Taeyong-hyung," he said. "You better come back to us soon hyung," he said. "Jeonghan is by your side when you wake up," he said before leaving the room.

Taehyung and Jin went up to the wall, joining Jaehyun and Taeil for patrols. "I've been checking on Taeyong every couple hours, he's okay, and healed," said Jin. Jaehyun nodded. "When is he going to wake up?" He asked. "I'm not sure," said Jin. "It's all dependent on him," he said. "He is alive," he said. "That I know for a fact," he said.

"I don't think Mark will be okay if Taeyong doesn't wake up," said Jaehyun. "He's been quiet since learning of Minhyun's death, I wonder how he is taking it," he said. "I can talk to him," said Taehyung. "I don't think that's a good idea right now," said Taeil. "I think having someone talk to him would help his situation a little," said Jin. "He's the youngest in your group right? He needs someone there for him," he said. "Jungkook, he's seen so much death," he said. "We were there to make sure he was okay, and he was grateful," he said. "It's a way of paying him back for all he's done for you guys," he said. "I guess," said Taeil.

"I'll go talk to him," said Taehyung before he went down to find Mark. Mark was laying on one of the top bunks in the barracks, looking up at the ceiling when Taehyung found him. "You alright?" Asked Taehyung. Mark turned to look at Taehyung. "I'm scared," said Mark. "Taeyong is the bravest person I know, if he doesn't make it then I don't know what will happen to the rest of us," he said. Taehyung sat on the lower bunk under Mark, nodding. "I know how that is," he said. "Before we left Bangtan Jin was determined to keep the others alive," he said. "We didn't really bring anything to our group, but Namjoon took us in because of our cousin," he said. "Jungkook?" Asked Mark. "Yeah," said Taehyung. "Jimin was the only other healer in their group, and Jungkook insisted that Jin would be vital to the group," he said. "Jaehyun joined us a little later, but Namjoon sent him to Nu'est to train," he said. "I didn't really bring anything new to the group, but they let me in anyway because of Jin and Jungkook," he said.

Mark sighed, and turned over, facing the wall. "I feel useless sometimes," he said. "Taeil is a better archer than I am, but I try my best to be the best, I was trained under Ren," he said. Taehyung nodded. "Ren was trained with someone else right?" He asked. "Yeah, he trained with someone named Aron, Aron was in the guard but he died during the harsh winter that happened years ago," said Mark. "Ah," said Taehyung. "Well, you can only do so much," he said. "As an Archer you have to keep your skills sharp and your speed up," he said. "I do," said Mark. "But I feel like they don't take me seriously because I am the youngest," he said. "I know that they sent me back to get reinforcements, but I didn't get so much of a thanks," he said. "Well, I know Doyoung said thanks, and I know that Taeyong and JR were critical but any other situation we had? Not so much of a nod in my direction," he said. "JR understands my situation, and so do the rest of the old guard, but it's just..." He grumbled. "Mm," said Taehyung.

They both hear Jeonghan barking, and Mark sits up, hopping off the bunk. Taehyung went with him to the infirmary, where Taeyong was finally awake. "Taeyong-hyung!" Said Mark as he tackled Taeyong. "Oof! Hey Mark," said Taeyong. "I'm glad you're awake," said Mark as he moved away. Taeyong smiled slightly. "I am too, I feel so much better," he said. "Who healed me?" He asked. "Jin-hyung did," said Taehyung. "Oh, hello Taehyung," said Taeyong. Taehyung smiled slightly. "I'll leave you two be," he said, before leaving the room. Mark and Taeyong chatted, Mark catching Taeyong up on the events he missed while he was passed out.