Chapter 14

The Next Generation

Taeyong and Mark dropped off Daehyun and company off at the outpost, where JR and the others sent back Minhyun's pocket watch for the funeral that was going to happen as soon as Mark and Taeyong got back to the capitol.

Mark and Taeyong returned to the capitol a couple days after reaching the outpost, wanting to just rest. When the queen summoned them along with Yoongi and Namjoon however, they headed to the palace, with Jeonghan beside Mark. "I'm sorry to have summoned you both so soon after your return," said the queen as they entered the throne room. "Every one of the new refugees has been assigned a guard member in case more trouble happens," she said. Mark and Taeyong nod. "The only two left are Namjoon and Yoongi," said the queen. "Who will you choose to take under your wing?" She asked. "I will take Yoongi," said Taeyong. "I'll take Namjoon then," said Mark. "We also return with Minhyun's pocket watch," he said, leaning down and holding out Minhyun's pocket watch. The queen nodded, stepping up and taking the pocket watch from Mark. "The funeral will be held tomorrow, dismissed," she said. Mark stood, leaving with Namjoon and Jeonghan. Taeyong bowed before leaving with Yoongi.

"I'll see you at home yeah?" Asked Taeyong as he turned to Mark. "I need to have a spar with Taehyung," he said with a grin. Mark laughs. "When are you having the spar? I may stop by the training grounds," he said. "Um, after dinner sound good? I'll stop by Jaehyun's place and ask," said Taeyong. "Sure, I need to get dinner, it's my turn to cook tonight," said Mark. "A spar?" Asked Namjoon. "Ever since learning that Taehyung is a swordsman Taeyong has been wanting to spar with him," explained Mark. Namjoon chuckled. Yoongi shook his head. "Spar with Hoseok-hyung then, he's had more training," said Namjoon. "I'll ask him too," said Taeyong as he chuckled. They parted ways, Mark, Namjoon and Jeonghan walking towards the market district while Taeyong and Yoongi headed to Jaehyun's apartment complex.

"You two seem close," remarked Namjoon as Mark browsed the different outdoor stalls, looking for things he could make for dinner tonight. "Well, we share a room in our apartment," said Mark. "Taeyong-hyung, Taeil-hyung and I share a 3 bedroom apartment and we always left the third room as a guest room/office of sorts," he said. "Taeil took the smallest of the 3 rooms, saying he didn't mind having the small space, and we took the biggest room, leaving the other room a guest room," he said.

"What are the other's living arrangements?" Asked Namjoon. "Doyoung lives with Ren's, a member of the past guard, wife and kid," said Mark. "Well, Ren's dead, but Yezi, Ren's wife, still let him stay with them," he said. "Jaehyun lives on his own, but now that Taehyung and Jin are here he shares his apartment with them," he said. "Sometimes we invite them over for dinner, for bonding and such," he said. "But Yezi and Sehun always came over, Sehun wants to be in the guard like his dad was," he said. "So Doyoung ends up getting dragged along anyway, along with Aron and Baekhyun," he said. "Baekhyun is Suho's adopted kid, and Aron is Sehun's wolf pup," he explained when Namjoon gave him a questioning look.

"I should've grabbed the cart," Mark said with a sigh as he grabbed what he needed for dinner, paying for it and holding the bags. "I can help," said Namjoon. Mark gave a smile in thanks before handing Namjoon half the bags. Jeonghan wagged his tail and they walked back to Taeyong's apartment.

It was quiet when they got home, and Mark wondered if the others went off somewhere. Jimin came into the living room, nodding to Mark and tackling Namjoon. "Hi hyung~!" He said. "Hello Jimin," said Namjoon as he was almost knocked over. "Where is everyone?" Asked Mark. "Taeil is in the office, and Taeyong hasn't returned yet," said Jimin. "Oh okay," said Mark as he walked into the kitchen. Namjoon followed after him, putting the bags down. "Jeonghan, go get Taeil to get him to help with dinner," said Mark. Jeonghan ran into the office, barking. "Alright alright," said Taeil as he walked out of the office and into the kitchen to help with dinner. "You two get comfortable, I trust you won't do anything?" Mark asked as he turned to Jimin and Namjoon. They both nod and go into the living room to relax some before dinner. Jeonghan went into the living room and laid down on the floor, taking a nap.

Taeyong and Yoongi return with Jaehyun, Jin, Taehyung, and Jungkook in tow, Jaehyun talking with Taeyong about the upcoming spar as Taeil came out of the kitchen. "Dinner will be ready soon, did you guys invite Doyoung and company?" He asked. "Yeah," said Taeyong. "Sehun and Yezi declined, but Doyoung is coming with Hoseok," he said. "How are they?" Asked Taeil. "Fine," said Taeyong. "Doyoung has been a great help around the house, and Hoseok even helped, Baekhyun is staying with them now," he said.

Doyoung shows up with Hoseok just before Taeil called everyone into the kitchen for dinner. "So I heard there was a master swordsman," said Hoseok. Taeyong turned to Hoseok. "Yeah, that's me," said Taeyong. "What's up?" He asked. "I want to have a spar," said Hoseok. "After your spar with Taehyung of course," he said. Taeyong grinned. "I am fine with that," he said. Yoongi rolled his eyes. Mark came out of the kitchen, shaking his head. "Well then," he said. "Dinner is ready," he said. Everyone went to get dinner and ate it, sitting around in the living room. "Good food like usual Mark," said Taeyong. Mark grinned. "Thanks hyung," he said.

After dinner they headed to the training grounds, Taeyong, Mark, Jeonghan, and Taehyung walking together. Hoseok, Namjoon, and Doyoung were walking behind them, Doyoung and Namjoon wanting to observe the spar. When they reached the training grounds Taeyong went to grab some wooden swords and handed one to Taehyung. "Rules are simple, the battle only ends when you get a blade to the neck," said Taeyong. Taehyung nodded. "Go hyung!" said Mark.

"Let's do this," said Taeyong as he brought the sword up. Taehyung attacked first, catching Taeyong off guard. Taeyong quickly countered the attack, swinging his sword up from the bottom to push Taehyung's sword out of the way. Taehyung doddged out of the way and moved back. Taeyong launched forward and swung his sword again, Taehyung moving out of the way before the sword could touch him. Taeyong used the extra momentum to swing his sword down, catching Taehyung off guard. Taehyung managed to swing his sword up in time to block the swing as he bent backwards, almost slipping and falling to the floor. Both sword blades were touching Taehyung and Taeyong's necks, ending it in a tie.

"Wow, even Minhyun couldn't end it in a tie," said Mark as he looked surprised. Hoseok laughs. "This is Taehyung for you, he's unpredictable," he said. "Well, you earned my respect," said Taeyong as he moved away from Taehyung. Taehyung allowed himself to flop to the ground, grinning. Namjoon went to help him up. Taehyung went over and handed Hoseok the sword. "Go show him what ya got hyung," he said.

Hoseok stepped forward with the sword on his shoulder, a grin on his face. "Let's go," he said. Taeyong smirked, grabbing his sword and put it on his shoulder. "Same rules as last time?" He asked. "Sure," said Hoseok. "Let's do it then," said Taeyong as he attacked, going fully offensive. "Offensive I see?" Asked Hoseok as he made quick on the defensive while trying to jab in with more attacks.

"You know what Minhyun was good at? He was good at changing strategies at a blink of an eye," said Taeyong as he switched from offense to a combination of both offense and defense as Hoseok tried to fight through, going fully offensive now. "And I learned to do the same," said Taeyong as he started to push Hoseok back with his attacking blows. "I used to be ridiculed by the others because I was the worst of the worse," he said. "Now I've become the best," he said as he pushed his sword forward, effectively pushing Hoseok backwards and onto the ground. Taeyong touched his sword to Hoseok's neck, just as Hoseok did the same to Taeyong's neck. "Nice one kid," said Hoseok. "I like you, you have determination," he said.

Taeyong scratched the back of his head as he helped Hoseok stand. "I have to be determined," he said. "It got me this far," he said. "I guess you're right on that one," said Hoseok. "Well, let's head back," said Doyoung. "We gotta go to bed early since tomorrow's the funeral," he said. Hoseok nodded and he left with Doyoung. "I guess we better head back too," said Mark. "Yeah," said Taeyong as he went over to scratch Jeonghan behind the ears. Jeonghan wagged his tail, having been sitting by Mark and Namjoon the whole time. "We'll drop you off Taehyung and then head home," said Taeyong. "Sure," said Taehyung. They leave the training grounds after putting the the swords away.