Chapter 35

The Next Generation

The time came where they were ready to take back the capitol. The tunnel was still good and ready to travel, so now all they had to do was prepare.

Mark, Jungkook, Doyoung and Yoongi would be in the back of the group in case they needed to provide cover. Taeyong, Baekho and Jaehyun would be in the front with Hoseok. Jackson was in the middle with Taeil, Jin and Jimin. Jeonghan would stay back with his master, only going to fight when they needed him. After that formation was set up they headed to the tunnel that ended about a mile outside of city walls.

Sehun was with Baekhyun and Aron, waiting on them. "The rest of the rebels are set up around the castle, just give the word and we'll take it from the outside," said Sehun. Taeil nodded. "Well, let's do this, close range up front, long range in the back," he said. Baekhyun changed to his wolf form. He shook out his fur, going to stand with Baekho and Jaehyun, who were in their animal forms. Sehun and Aron went to stand in the back next to Doyoung, Sehun nodding to him. "Let's do this," said Taeyong as he drew his sword and entered the tunnel, the others following after him.

It didn't take long to get to the entrance to the palace, ending up in the underground dungeons. "This place is crawling with guards," said Sehun. "Let's take them out," said Taeyong. Taehyung nodded, and he and Taeyong headed into the dungeons, taking out the guards in the dungeons and releasing the prisoners. Taeil rallied the prisoners, getting them weapons to take out the rest of the guards in the upper levels of the palace. Mark and Yoongi went up to the balcony of the palace, taking out guards along the way. If they could take back the balcony then they could defend the front of the palace. Jin and Jimin fought their way though the castle halls, helping out Mark and Yoongi. Doyoung and Jungkook stayed close, getting those that Jin and Jimin couldn't.

The first death was Taehyung, getting slain by a guard who tried to slash Taeyong in half. "Oh hell no!" Yelled Taeyong as he quickly stabbed the guard, killing him. Hoseok went over to Taehyung, shaking his head. "I'll see you in the afterlife Tae!" He said, before slashing down another guard who almost got to Taeyong. Jackson sent a fire tornado through the halls, cutting down the guards quickly and clearing a path. "We just need to get to the queen!" Yelled Mark as he fired an arrow at another guard. "The throne room! The balcony is there!" He said. Taeil rushed forward with Mark, covering the others with what little magic attacks he knew. Jungkook and Doyoung stayed with Jackson, covering Mark and Yoongi's back as they ran towards the balcony.

Jin and Jimin were busy fighting off another wave of enemies, Jimin almost getting slain. He pushed the enemy away, going to save Jin from getting stabbed. "You aren't dying today hyung!" He yelled, cutting down another enemy. Jin turned around and managed to save Jimin from getting slain, getting slashed in the process. "Hyung!" Said Jimin as he shoved another guard away. Jaehyun roared, running over to them and slashing at the enemy. Baekhyun and Baekho helped fight, barreling into the guards to give Jimin some room to heal Jin. "It's okay Jimin-ah," said Jin as he coughed up blood. "Tae is dead... Take care of Kookie okay?" He asked. "No!" Said Jimin. "You can't die today! Not today! Fight hyung fight!" He said, trying to heal him with the healing magic. Jin let out a dry chuckle. "That used to be our slogan, it's okay Jimin-ah, I'm ready to see them now," he said. Jimin choked on his own sobs as he moved away from Jin. Jin smiled softly, reaching up a hand before it fell to his side, taking his last breath. Jimin closed Jin's eyes before standing up. "We'll take back the capitol hyung, keep watch over us," he said, grabbing his sword and going to help Jaehyun and the others.

Jungkook was caught off guard by Jin and Taehyung's deaths, but he didn't stop, he continued to fight, the anger over their deaths fueling his will to fight. He grabbed a sword from a fallen guard member and went close range, yelling in rage. Doyoung did the same, the main focus now was to get to the throne room. Mark, Yoongi, Aron and Jeonghan ran behind them, Sehun going to signal the attack on the palace. They reached the throne room, bursting through the door. Mark went to the throne, bowing in front of the queen before untying her. "We have this now," said Mark. "We need to battle our way out the front door," he said. "We'll cover you," he said, turning to Jungkook and Doyoung, who nod. Doyoung and Jungkook went out, heading to let he others know. Mark grabbed his crossbow, heading to the balcony and looking for any snipers. Yoongi was close behind him, going to the other side of the balcony. "There's an enemy on the roof there," said Yoongi as he pointed. "I see him," said Mark as he loaded an arrow into the chamber. He took aim, firing. He grinned when the arrow hit the target, the person on the roof falling off the roof.

Jaehyun, Baekho and Baekhyun fought their way through to the entrance to the palace. They had to secure the entrance before taking back the majority of the capitol. Explosions were heard as Jackson, Doyoung, and Jungkook combined their elements to attack.

After an hour or two they finally drove the enemy out of the capitol, and everyone cheered. Not everyone had survived however, Baekho was killed saving Jaehyun who was saving Baekhyun from getting slashed in half. Taeil was dead, getting caught in a crossfire of arrows as Yoongi and Mark tried to cover him. Jungkook and Doyoung survived for the most part, only sustaining minor injuries. Jackson had kept his word and stayed on their side even after the enemy retreated.

Jimin went into the throne room, checking on the queen. "Your highness," he said. "I'm here to check you for injuries," he said. "You may proceed," said the queen. Jimin whent to check her for injuries, healing any bruises. Mark came into the throne room, nodding to Jimin before bowing in front of the throne. "I'm sorry it took us so long your highness," he said before straightening. "It's okay," said the queen. "You have some members of the guard to burn and put their pocket watches on the plaque don't you?" She asked. Mark nodded. "Go and do that, I will be okay," said the queen. "Thank you your highness," said Mark as he bowed again. He straightened and left, going to gather the bodies and burn them.

 

~



The funeral was held a week later, after Doyoung and Jungkook confirmed that the enemy had retreated back across the border. Taeyong kept a straight face, because he was the second oldest, and needed to be strong for everyone. Jimin was sobbing as he knelt in front of the plaque, which now had the names of his group. Sehun and Baekhyun were there, but were planning on leaving the capitol to travel the kingdom. Mark fell to his knees in frontof the plaque, finally allowing himself to break down as he sobbed the loudest. Jimin just hugged him, the both of them crying. Doyoung and Jungkook stood by Taeyong, letting the two grieve.

After the funeral Jackson had announced that he was leaving the kingdom, heading west. "I don't see myself heading back to EXO after so much I've done for you guys," he had said. "I'll have Kris with me, so you guys don't have to worry about my betrayal, it won't happen," he said. "Stay safe," said Mark. Jackson nodded, before leaving.

Life returned to normal for the most part, with Jaehyun staying in Mark and Taeyong's apartment now, taking the office and turning Taeil's old room into an office. Doyoung got an apartment in the same building, taking care of Sehun and Baekhyun. Jimin and Jungkook decided to travel the kingdom, promising to keep in touch.