Chapter 24

The Next Generation

It's been months since the surgery, and Mark had recovered nicely, and was back to his usual energy. Everyone was relieved about that, and everyone kept a positive vibe around him. Mark and Hoseok became close friends, Mark nicknaming him Hobi.

"Come on hyung!" Mark said grabbing Hoseok by the wrist and dragging him into the market district. Jeonghan was following behind them with the cart. "Why'd you ask me to go food shopping today kid?" Asked Hoseok. "I'm not a kid anymore," Mark said, turning to Hoseok. "But it's my turn to get ingredients, Taeyong-hyung is cooking tonight," he said. "Mark-ah, you're the youngest in both our respective groups, even Kookie is two years older than you, and he's 22," said Hoseok. "You're 20, you're the baby," he said with a chuckle. "I know you can be mature, but you are technically considered the child of the group," he said. Mark nodded. "I guess so," he said, going from food stall to food stall looking for what he needed. Hoseok shook his head and stayed back with Jeonghan, putting what Mark bought into the cart.

"Hobi-hyung!" Said Jungkook as he ran over to them. "You guys and that nickname," said Hoseok as he mock glared at Jungkook. Jungkook grinned. "What's up Kookie?" Asked Hoseok. "What ya getting for dinner? Taeyong isn't making deer stew today," said Jungkook. "I don't know," said Hoseok. "Ask Mark-ah," he said. "Mark," said Jungkook as Mark came out of the stall. "What 'cha grabbing for dinner?" He asked. "Taeyong-hyung gave me a list," said Mark as he held up the list. "Mark-ah, when's your birthday?" Asked Jungkook. "Next week," said Mark. "Why?" He asked. "Just wondering," said Jungkook. "Did you check the post office for any mail?" He asked. "It's quiet at the outpost, Baekho and Suho are thinking of coming back," said Mark. "Mm," said Jungkook as he nodded.

"Come on Hobi-hyung," said Mark as he dragged Hoseok down the street with Jeonghan running after them. Jungkook chuckled as he watched them go. "Don't ever lose that innocence Mark-ah," he said. "You may be what will bring happiness back to the group," he said before walking away to go find Jin and Taehyung.

Doyoung found Mark and Hoseok making their way back to Mark's shared apartment with Jeonghan. "Hey Mark-ah, Hobi-hyung," he said. "Again with the nickname?" Asked Hoseok as he pouts. "Shush it fits," said Doyoung as he laughs. Mark smiled some. "What's up hyung?" He asked. "Nothing, Taeyong-hyung sent me to find you three, you're a bit late," said Doyoung. "Sorry, Kookie-hyung distracted us," said Mark. "Come on then," said Doyoung. Mark nodded and headed back to his shared apartment with Doyoung, Hoseok, and Jeonghan.

Taeyong opened the door for them, Mark taking the harness off of Jeonghan and dragging the cart into the apartment. "Sorry for being late," said Mark. "It's alright," said Taeyong. "You weren't too late, I have time to make dinner," he said. "Want some help?" Asked Mark. "Sure, start cutting the vegetables," said Taeyong. Mark nodded and went to start cutting the vegetables.

Everyone else came over to the apartment close to dinner time, being loud and laughing. "Hey hyungs," Mark yelled from the kitchen. "Quiet it down some, the neighbors may complain," he said. Everyone quieted down, and Namjoon's group crowded around the coffee table watching Doyoung and Hoseok play Monopoly. "Who's winning?" Asked Jimin. "I am," said Doyoung. "Come on Hobi, you can do it!" Said Jin. "Stop with the damn nickname already," said Hoseok as he sighed. He moved away. "I give up," he grumbled. "Yay!" Said Doyoung. They started a new game with the rest of the group before dinner.

Mark called everyone into the kitchen to grab their dinner. Everyone went to grab their dinner before going back to playing Monopoly, trying to see who would win this time. Mark sat beside Taeyong on the couch, watching the game. Doyoung sat on the couch arm watching the others play while Jaehyun sat beside Taeyong. Taeil had been dragged into the game by Jimin, so he was considered the banker.

There was suddenly a knock on the door, and Mark looked towards the door. "I got it," said Hoseok. Taeil took his spot as Hoseok got up and went to see who was at the door. "What the hell do you want?" Asked Hoseok. "I am here to see my son," said Kyuhyun. "What if he doesn't want to see you right now?" Asked Hoseok. "We were having a nice dinner until you decided to show up," he said. Everyone had paused to look towards the door, Mark looking surprised to hear his father's voice.

"You can't keep me from my son," said Kyuhyun. "I can't but Mark can," said Hoseok as he shoved Kyuhyun backwards and into the hall. Mark stood, going over to the door with his dog Jeonghan growling and standing protectively in front of him. Kyuhyun leaped forward, holding a knife in his hand. Hoseok jumped sideways to dodge the knife. "Oh come on, you really trying to catch me off guard right now?" Asked Hoseok. "Leave my friend alone!" Said Mark. Jeonghan growled and attacked Kyuhyun, biting his arm. Kyuhyun yelled in pain, bringing the knife down onto Jeonghan's back. Jeonghan snarled refusing to let go. Kyuhyun dug the knife deeper into Jeonghan's back. Hoseok punched Kyuhyun in the face causing Kyuhyun to let go of the knife. Jeonghan let go of Kyuhyun's arm, still growling. Kyuhyun tackled Hoseok with another knife, Mark leaping at his father to try and distract him.

Hoseok and Mark were doing okay to try and take down Kyuhyun but it didn't stop Kyuhyun from stabbing Hoseok in the chest. "No!" Yelled Mark. When Mark screamed Jin came over to see what had happened. "Oh hell no!" Yelled Jin as he shoved Kyuhyun away from Hoseok. Hoseok coughed up blood, looking surprised as he clutched at his chest before he fell over. Jimin ran over to check on Hoseok. "God damn it," he said. "Taeyong get the idiot out of here," he yelled. Taeyong ran over and shoved Kyuhyun into the wall. Kyuhyun looked shocked, not expecting to have stabbed Hoseok.

"Hobi-hyung!" Said Mark as he ran to Hoseok. Jimin fought back a sob as he turned away. "Jimin-hyung, please tell me you could save him!" Said Mark as he shook Jimin. "I-I'm sorry Mark-ah," Jimin chocked out as he sobbed. "No!" Said Mark. "Not Hobi! Anyone but him," he said as he let out a cry in anguish. "H-Hyung, p-please look at Jeonghan, I don't want to lose him too," he said as he started sobbing. "Jeonghan is fine Mark-ah," Jimin said trying to reassure Mark as he checked on Jeonghan.

Taeyong took away Kyuhyun as Mark got comforted by Taeil, Doyoung, and Jaehyun. Jeonghan was patched up by both Jin and Jimin and the rest of Namjoon's group sat in shock over Hoseok's death. "We don't blame you Mark-ah," said Namjoon when Mark asked. "It was unexpected, I don't think any of us saw this coming," he said. "It's okay, really," he said. "I-I guess he'll be in Doyoung-hyung and Jungkook-hyung's deams now," mumbled Mark. Namjoon tried to smile but it didn't work as he sighed.