Chapter 3

The Next Generation

Jin and Taehyung quickly became friends with the other members of the guard, Taehyung sticking by Mark's side. Jin became close with Taeil as news from the southern borders eventually came.

Doyoung was preparing lunch for Sehun when both their orbs had summoned by themselves. "Doyoung-hyung!" Sehun yelled as he ran into the kitchen. "I know," he said, looking at his orb and wondering what was up. There was banging at the door and Doyoung checked on the food quickly before running to answer it. "What is it Taeil?" He asked. Aron had come to see what was happening, whining and circling around Sehun who had come to the door.

Taeil looked grim as he looked down. "Don't tell me...?" Asked Doyoung as his eyes widened. Taeil looked at Sehun before nodding. "God damn it," grumbled Doyoung as he went back into the kitchen. "Sehun, can you go look for Baekhyun?" Doyoung called. "Okay," said Sehun. "Here, share your lunch with him," said Doyoung as he packed up the lunch and handed it to Sehun. Sehun nodded and left with Aron, going to find Baekhyun.

"What happened?" Asked Doyoung as he turned to Taeil. "Ren was killed after a misunderstanding with some people over the borders," said Taeil. "Jaehyun, Mark and Jeonghan were sent to go recover Ren's pocket watch," he said. "Sehun's gonna want that pocket watch," said Doyoung as he sighed.

"What about his orb?" He asked. "Did you see the new colors on your orb?" Asked Taeil. Doyoung checked his orb again and his eyes widened. Ren appeared beside them and they both jumped. "I could've prevented my death," Ren said, sighing. "But the circumstances said otherwise," he said, scratching the back of his head. "I have to go now, I will see you in your dreams," he said. "Take care of my son, and make us proud," he said before fading away.

Doyoung sighed and walked out of the house with Taeil following after him. "Well, how are we gonna break the news to Yezi?" He asked. "I'm sure she already knows," said Taeil. "If Sehun didn't already run to tell her anyway," he said. "This is why I wouldn't want to start a family," said Doyoung as he sighed. "I don't want to put a burden on the family if I die," he explained after Taeil glared at him. "It's nothing more than that really," he said. "Our job is dangerous, I don't want to put that kind of pain on my wife and kids," he said. Taeil nodded. "I see your point now," he said, putting his hands in his pockets as they walked down the streets of the capitol.

Taeyong had met up with them in the market district, smiling slightly at them. "Hey Taeyong," said Taeil as Taeyong went to stand beside Doyoung. They continue walking with Doyoung more or less leading them. "It's too bad Sehun lost his dad eh?" Asked Taeyong. "Mm," said Doyoung and Taeil. "How's Jin and Taehyung adjusting?" Asked Taeil. "They're adjusting pretty well I'd say," said Taeyong. "They're not trying to be burdens to us while they live with Jaehyun so they're doing random jobs around the capitol," he said. Doyoung nodded.

They head to the gates when Doyoung's orb summons by itself again, signalling that the others had returned. Mark looked shaken up, while Jaehyun refused to look in their direction, and Jeonghan had a couple bandages on his snout. "What happened?" Asked Taeyong as he saw them. "We got there... The entire place is a war zone," said Jaehyun. "We managed to fight them off and caused them to retreat, JR and the others really needed our help there," he said. "We're lucky that they retreated for now, we may get sent out to help them," he said. "We did our job, but that's all we could do, we weren't equipped for combat," he said. "I'm going to return Ren's pocket watch," said Jaehyun. "Someone watch Mark, he's not in good shape," he mumbled before heading to the palace.

Taeil went to Mark's side, looking concerned for the youngest member. "You okay?" He asked. Mark looked down, but he nodded. "I'll be fine hyung," he said. "What happened to Jeonghan?" Asked Taeil. "He may or may not have fought off a couple soldiers from the other side of the borders, he fought with Baekho, Suho and Jaehyun while JR and I fought them off with our bows," he said. "We managed to save Ren's body, but they had to burn it," he said. "I wanted to bring something back, but his orb had disappeared," he mumbled. "It's alright," said Taeil. "Whoever has it now will take care of it," he said. Mark nodded.

"Come on," said Doyoung. "Let's go back to you guys's apartment and I can take a look at Jeonghan's wounds," he said. They nod and head home.

 

~



"You got his pocket watch?" Asked the queen. Jaehyun nodded as he knelled before the throne while holding out Ren's pocket watch. "I think it'd be best if we gave it to his son, Sehun," he said. "As a family heirloom? I agree," said the queen. "Only after his funeral though, because we have to make a grave for him," she said. "Go prepare for the funeral, I will send you off to the southern borders within the next couple days, be careful while there," she said. Jaehyun nodded, standing and bowing before leaving the room.