Chapter 15

The Next Generation

The funeral was held for Minhyun, his pocket watch getting added to the plaque of past guard members. It had been Ren's idea to add the plaque, since the guard members that died had to have their bodies burned to keep the enemy from finding out about their secrets.

Everyone was there for the funeral, Namjoon and company being allowed to attend the funeral because the others were still keeping an eye on them. Things were quiet as everyone stood by the plaque, paying their respects.

After a few minutes Mark, Jeonghan, and Namjoon left first, Mark wanting to go hunt in Minhyun's honor. Doyoung and Hoseok left with Jungkook, Doyoung wanting to help Jungkook with his orb. Yoongi and Taeyong were next to leave, Taeyong going to get stuff for dinner since it was his turn to cook dinner tonight and he wanted to get ingredients for deer stew when Mark, Namjoon and Jeonghan got back from hunting. Jaehyun left with Jin and Taehyung next, wanting to get some errands done before they head over to Taeyong's apartment for dinner.

Taeil and Jimin were the last people left at the plaque, Taeil staring longingly at some of the names. "Did you know some of them?" Asked Jimin as he stood beside Taeil with his hands in his pockets. "Mm," said Taeil. "Not personally, but we all knew Ren and Minhyun," he said. "The guard before them were the first to get sent out to try and assassinate a traitor to the kingdom," he said. "The guard before them were the first guard, where the traitor came from," he said. "Their pocket watches weren't recovered but we had them made for them," he said. "We all had our names put on the plaque, for in case they need to put our pocket watches in the space next to our names," he said.

"So what happens now?" Asked Jimin as he turned to Taeil. "Well, things are starting to get back to a somewhat normal pace," said Taeil as he turned away from the plaque to look at Jimin. "Things are still very tense at the southern borders, we may get sent back out there to help JR, Baekho, and Suho," he said. "I think Namjoon and the others wouldn't mind going to help too," said Jimin. "Especially Jungkook," he said. "I think since he's the youngest he tries to prove himself to us," he said. "Mark is the same way," said Taeil. "They both want to prove to us that they belong in our respective groups, Mark being an archer and Jungkook being an orb user without his own god," he said. "Well, come on, I want to run some errands and then head home," he said. Jimin nodded and left with Taeil.

Doyoung, Hoseok and Jungkook were at the training grounds, Doyoung helping Jungkook with his orb and seeing what elements he ultimately went with. "That's the thing though, I never went with any element," said Jungkook as he scratched the back of his head. "I never had the training I guess," he said. "Hm," said Doyoung. "If you were to choose one, what would you go with?" He asked. "I'd say fire," said Jungkook. "But if I couldn't go with that then I'd choose ice," he said. "Lightning seems like it'd have to be a hereditary thing, like you have to inherit it to be able to use it," he said. "It seems that way," said Doyoung. "Ren was never able to use lightning, but his uncle was," he said. "Chen says it's completely random though, so I don't know," he said.

"I think I agree with it being completely random," said Hoseok. "Your theory about it being an inherited trait seems to be a bit off," he said. "If that was actually the case then wouldn't there be more lightning users?" He asked. "You have a point," said Doyoung. "Well," he said, turning to Jungkook. "I don't know who will end up choosing you, but I'm sure they will make the right choice in choosing you," he said. Jungkook tilted his head to the side. "Am I about to get my god?" He asked, his eyes widening. Doyoung smiled slightly. "Dunno," he said. "Oh come on," Jungkook said, pouting. "You have all three elements, can't I get a hint?" He asked. Doyoung laughs. "Don't feel bad, I didn't get Chen until I started training to be in the guard officially a couple years ago," he said. "Whoever chooses you would have made the right choice," he said. "Kris and Xiumin could've chosen to go to someone else, but they came to me because they knew they'd go to someone else eventually," he said.

"He's right you know?" Asked a voice as Xiumin appeared behind Jungkook. Jungkook jumps turning around and looking wide eyed at Xiumin. "Woah," he said, speechless. Xiumin smiled slightly, nodding to Doyoung. "I know our time was short, but I enjoyed fighting along side you as I did with Ren when we were with him," he said. "It was an honor to have you by my side Xiumin," said Doyoung. "Now, step forward and say hello," he said to Jungkook as he nudged him forward. Jungkook bowed before Xiumin, before straightening. "Are you sure you want to be my god?" He asked. "If I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have come out of the orb," said Xiumin as he put a hand on Jungkook's shoulder. Jungkook shivered at the cold touch but didn't flinch away as he took a deep breath. "I am the god Xiumin, my animal form is a polar bear and I control the element of ice, do you accept me as your god?" Asked Xiumin. "Yes," said Jungkook. Xiumin smiled, a light surrounding the both of them before it faded, leaving Jungkook with a new orb.

"Congrats," said Hoseok as he grinned. Jungkook stared at his new orb, still comprehending what had just happened. "Well, let's go," said Doyoung. "You finally got your god, we can get some stuff done before Mark returns from the hunt," he said before leaving. Hoseok and Jungkook follow after him.

Mark, Namjoon and Jeonghan were following after a trail of deer that Jeonghan had caught the scent of. Mark had given Namjoon one of his spare bows, trusting Namjoon to not shoot him. "Go around," said Mark as they spotted the herd. "Look for my signal, when I shoot I want you to aim for the same deer," he said. Namjoon nodded and moved around the herd, drawing the string of the bow back. Mark's signal was a bird call, as he whistled. He then shot an arrow towards the deer he was aiming at. Namjoon fired an arrow at the same deer, causing the herd to scatter. Jeonghan barked, launching at the deer biting at its neck and slashing it. He jumped away, growling and keeping the deer from moving away. Mark shot the deer again, Namjoon doing the same. Jeonghan jumped onto the deer's back, biting down on the deer's neck. The deer stumbled, falling to the ground with a thud. "Yes!" Said Mark as he went over to the deer. Jeonghan wagged his tail, his tongue hanging out of his mouth in a doggy grin. Namjoon walked over, pulling the cart over. "Alright, let's get this thing on the cart and pull it back to the capitol," said Mark as he started doing just that with Namjoon's help. Mark attached the rope to Jeonghan's harness and they headed back to the capitol with it.

After going to the butchers to get their pay and their cuts of meat, Namjoon, Mark and Jeonghan headed home. Taeyong was happy for the successful hunt as he prepared deer stew. Everyone came over that night, including Sehun, Aron, Yezi, and Baekhyun. Everyone congratulated Jungkook on his new orb and god, Jungkook getting embarrassed.

"Nice catch again Mark-ah," said Taeyong as he smiled. "Thanks hyung," mumbled Mark as he looked embarrassed. "Yoongi's a hunter too ya know?" Asked Namjoon as be beamed. "But you knew what you were doing right away," he said. "Maybe you two should go on a hunt one day," he said. "Mm," said Mark. "Can I go too?" Asked Sehun. "If your mom allows you to Sehun-ah," said Mark. "Can I mom?" Asked Sehun. "Sure, only on the weekends though okay?" Asked Yezi. "Okay mom," said Sehun. "I'll let you know when they're going hunting," said Doyoung. "Thank you Doyoung," said Yezi.

"How is Suho doing?" Asked Baekhyun. "Fine, I think they're staying there permanently for the time being," said Taeil. "Things are still tense, they may send us back," he said. Baekhyun nodded.

Dinner ended after everyone got their fill, Sehun, Yezi, Baekhyun Doyoung, and Hoseok being the first to go home with leftovers. They said their goodbyes before leaving. Taehyung, Jaehyun, Jin, and Jungkook were next, wanting to go get some sleep. Taeil was the first to head to bed, Jimin stating he'd be staying in the office for the night. Taeyong, Mark, Namjoon, and Yoongi sat in the living room, wanting to relax a bit.