Chapter 4

The Next Generation

The funeral happened a couple days later, with Sehun and Yezi mourning Ren's death. JR and the others couldn't make it to the funeral since there was more action happening at the borders.

"Sehun," said Doyoung as they were heading home with Yezi walking behind them. "Hm?" Asked Sehun as he stopped to turn to Doyoung. "I don't know if you knew this but we asked for a small favor, and the queen has granted permission for us to give you Ren's pocket watch," he said. Sehun looked surprised as Doyoung brought out said pocket watch. "Keep this safe, this was your grand uncle Chanyeol's too," said Doyoung as he handed it to Sehun. "Uncle Chanyeol's huh...? He was in the guard before my dad right?" Asked Sehun as he studied it. "Yep, it's been replaced with newer parts, but the case around the watch itself is original," said Doyoung. Sehun smiled. "Thanks Doyoung-hyung!" He said. Doyoung smiled softly, reaching down and petting Aron on the head. "You keep him safe understand?" He asked Aron. "I have to head out in the next couple days," he said "Oh, gotta head to the borders right?" Asked Sehun. Doyoung nodded. "It's only until this thing kinda blows over," he said. "I don't know how long we'll be gone, but I gotta go pack," he said, before he continued walking. Sehun ran after him with Aron following behind. Yezi chuckled some. "Look at them now, you were right in letting Doyoung come live with us," she said, smiling a bit. "Hopefully they stay safe at the borders," she said, sighing as she walked faster to keep up with the two boys.

Doyoung was packed and ready to go, waving to Sehun and Yezi as he left the small house he shared with them. He headed out, his orb leading him to Jaehyun's apartment complex where Jaehyun was sharing his apartment with Jin and Taehyung. "Ready to go?" He asked when Jaehyun answered the door. "Yeah, let me grab my bag," said Jaehyun as he let Doyoung inside. Doyoung stood in the living room with his hands in his pockets and his orb floating beside him.

Taehyung and Jin walk into the living room still waking up. "Hey you two," said Doyoung. "Mm," came Jin and Taehyung's reply. "Oh! You're an orb user to?" Asked Taehyung as he looked at the orb. "Mhm," said Doyoung. "Why?" He asked. "Our cousin Jungkook is one, he doesn't have a god yet though, we never figured out why," said Jin. "Hm," said Doyoung. "That is strange," he said.

Jaehyun came out of his room slinging his bag over his shoulder. "I'm ready," he said. Doyoung nodded. "I'll see you guys later, take care of Sehun and Baekhyun okay?" He asked. Jin and Taehyung nod. Doyoung and Jaehyun leave, heading over to Taeil's apartment where he was sharing the place with Mark and Taeyong.

Jeonghan's barking alerted them that there was someone home as Doyoung knocked on the door. Taeil came to answer it, grinning when he saw them. "Come on in, we're almost ready," he said, letting them inside. Doyoung and Jaehyun walk into the living room and waited for the others. Taeil went into his room to grab his bag of stuff while Mark came out of his room with his own bag. Jeonghan would be towing a cart of supplies to the borders to help rejuvenate JR and the rest of the previous guard. "Where's his cart?" Asked Doyoung. "It's outside, Taeyong is checking the supplies," said Mark as he slipped a harness around Jeonghan. Taeil came out of his room and they headed out, meeting Taeyong out front. Once Mark attached the rope of the cart to Jeonghan's harness they were off, heading towards the gates.

"Well," said Doyoung as they stood at the gates. "Ready?" He asked, turning to the others. They nod, Jeonghan wagging his tail some. "Let's go," said Doyoung as he started walking. The others follow after him, as Doyoung's orb led the way.