Twenty Six

Jikook Drabbles

    Jungkook has heard tales about the colours of the world. He’s heard that the sky is blue and the grass is green and the flowers have many different colours, he’s heard of the beauty of a rainbow, the vibrancy of spring, the twinkling of the stars. But to see these things you have to have met and touched your soulmate. Jungkook hasn't, not yet.

   Sometimes he hears his parents talking about colours, his mother saying she likes pink flowers best or commenting on how the sunset looks. Jungkook asks, “What’s pink?” And his parents smile and tell him, “You'll see one day.” Jungkook doesn’t want to wait. He’s so curious, maybe even obsessed with the idea of seeing in something other than black and white and shades of grey.

 

……….

 

   At the age of twenty, Jungkook is entering university. He chooses a general course in the hopes of discovering what he is interested in and, however unlikely it is, he also hopes he might meet his soulmate. On the first day of classes Jungkook sits at the back, shy and uncomfortable with the crowd of people in the lecture hall. A smaller boy sits next to him just as the class starts and opens up his notebook happily, smiling at Jungkook. Jungkook smiles back.

   “Hello! I'm Jimin. You looked lonely over here, well more like nervous, so I came over. Is it alright if I sit here?” The boy speaks with a slight Busan accent and Jungkook immediately takes a liking to him. Being from Busan himself, the sound is a small piece of home found in a stranger.

   “Oh, I’m Jungkook. Thanks for coming over here, I sort of have no idea how to socialize,” Jungkook says sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. The man giggles quietly.

   “I totally get it.” Jimin shuts up when the professor starts to speak, droning on about the course and what it entails, which was a whole lot of boring stuff, exam dates, etcetera etcetera. Jungkook sighs and opens his notebook boredly.

   “This will be a fun class,” he says sarcastically and Jimin holds in a laugh, instead smiling widely.

   “If you drop it I'll never forgive you,” he threatens with absolutely no bite in the words.

   “I won't drop it if you don't.”

   “Deal.” This is how Jungkook makes his first friend at university and simultaneously discovers how boring the place is. With nothing to do but go to class, study, or sleep it’s about the least exciting place you could be. Jungkook figures it will get better when he makes more friends but for now he only has Jimin.

 

………

 

   A few weeks into the semester Jungkook has gathered a small group of friends thanks to Jimin who had applied to their university with a couple friends and had managed to make a few more in his classes. Taehyung is lazing on the couch in his and Jimin’s dorm when he suddenly sits up straight and looks at Jungkook curiously.

   “Have you met your soulmate yet?” Jungkook blinks as his brain catches up with the hyperactive student and his question and then he shakes his head.

   “Not that I know of. I still see in black and white.” Taehyung frowns and lays down, laying his legs across Jimin’s lap. Jimin smacks his shin unhappily but lets him keep his legs there.

   “Damn. I really wanna know what colour looks like, you know?” Jungkook nods sympathetically.

   “My mom said there are different shades of each colour. Like there are like ten different shades of blue. I don't even know what blue looks like but it sounds nice, doesn't it?” Jimin muses, half to himself. The others nod and get lost in thought for a while, the heavy mood broken when Hoseok walks in. He’s rooming with Taehyung and Jimin, one year ahead of them.

   “Hey guys. What's up?” he asks cheerily and the boys snap out of their thoughts.

   “Hoseok, what do you think blue looks like?” Jimin asks. Hoseok furrows his eyebrows and sits on the floor in front of the couch.

   “I'm not really sure. Why do you ask?” Jimin shrugs.

   “Just thinking.”

   “Well don't think too hard about it. One day you'll know, and that's all that matters.” Jimin smiles at the encouraging words and sighs, closing his eyes and leaning his head back on the couch.

   “I’m tired,” he states. The others mutter “me too” and a wave of fatigue seems to spread through the room. Everyone feels their energy drain and suddenly nobody wants to get up or speak or even breathe.

   “Well I should head home, I have an early class tomorrow,” Jungkook says and stands slowly. Taehyung hums in acknowledgement, Hoseok yawns, and Jimin waves goodbye with his eyes still closed. Jungkook closes the door behind him and sags against it. At least he knows he isn’t the only one becoming miserable with this colourless life.

 

…………

 

   The semester is over and to celebrate passing all their classes Jungkook and his small group of friends decide to throw their own little party. They stay at the trio’s dorm room with pizza, drinks, and movies, indulging in all three. By midnight they are full and drunk and no longer paying attention to the tv. Instead they laugh and tell stories and eat and drink until they’re sure they’re going to throw up and they love it.

   Hoseok sings loudly, Taehyung dances to the terrible singing in the space they’ve made by pushing the couch out of the way, Jimin giggles from his spot on the couch and Jungkook sits next to him, watching with a smile.

   “Jungkookie, come dance with us!” Hoseok says and pulls Jungkook off the couch, dragging him into a sloppy jive. Jungkook laughs and glances over at Jimin who is laughing with his head thrown back. Jungkook’s smile widens when Taehyung pulls Jimin up too, following Hoseok’s lead and forcing Jimin to jive.

   “Switch partners!” Taehyung shouts and spins Jimin, letting his hand go and sending him spiralling into Hoseok’s arms. Jungkook is shoved towards Taehyung and almost falls over laughing as he sings a song he makes up just for them to dance to. When Taehyung yells “switch!” again Jungkook holds out his hand for Jimin. They touch. And the world suddenly bursts into colour. Jungkook freezes and he jerks his hand away from Jimin’s, his drunk mind overloaded with the new colours, the brightness.

   Jimin is frozen in front of him, staring at him incredulously. His eyes start to drift around the room and he gasps. Colour. That can only mean one thing.

   Taehyung and Hoseok notice them stop and pause their own dancing.

   “What's wrong?” Hoseok slurs. Jungkook looks over Jimin’s shoulder at him and then looks back to Jimin, confused.

   “I can see colour,” he whispers. Jimin nods as if to say he sees it too and Hosek steps closer.

   “What?”

   “Colours, Hoseok. I can see them.” Hoseok’s eyes widen and Taehyung scrunches his face up, thinking for a moment, before he gasps exaggeratedly and points at them.

   “You're soulmates!!!”

   “Shhh! Shut up Tae! That can't be right…” Jungkook thinks back to every time he’s been with Jimin. Surely he has to have touched him before and this didn't happen… No, he realizes. This is the first time he’s touched Jimin. In the whole four months he’s known Jimin they have never touched and… now they have. And now they see colour. (Also, that's probably some sort of world record)

   “...What does this mean?” Jimin asks quietly. The joyful atmosphere has completely disappeared and is replaced with one of confusion, wonder, fear, all mixed together.

   “It means we're soulmates,” Jungkook answers.

   “No but what does it mean… for us?” Jimin reiterates. Jungkook thinks, unable to come up with an answer.

   “I'm not sure.” The room falls silent, all of them sobering up a bit, until Jimin moves to sit on the couch. The action seems to spur everyone back to life and they blink, Jungkook still adjusting to his new vision and the others adjusting to the idea of it.

   “I guess I should leave. If you need help moving out tomorrow give me a call,” Jungkook says dazedly. Jimin has his head in his hands, from drunkenness or despair Jungkook isn't sure, but he sends a worried glance to Hoseok and Taehyung and they nod in understanding. Take care of Jimin.

   “See you tomorrow,” Taehyung says. Jungkook opens the door and leaves, practically running to his own dorm and going straight to his room where he lays on his bed, dials his mother’s phone number and waits as it rings. He doubts that she’ll answer after midnight but he has to try. He has to talk to her. His mother’s voice recording comes on and Jungkook groans, rubbing his eyes in despair and waiting for the beep.

   “Mom, I need to talk to you. I… I found my soulmate. But… ugh it's complicated. When I come home tomorrow, please, can we talk about it?” He sniffles once before continuing, feeling warm tears start to fall.

   “I love you mom. See you tomorrow. Bye.” He hangs up and drops his phone onto his bed. His head swims. He can finally see colours but there are so many, it hurts his head. And his soulmate is Jimin. His friend Jimin. The notion makes him feel even more dizzy, his head spins and his stomach does flips. What is he going to do? Can soulmates even be the same ? Gay marriage isn't even legal in Korea. How will him and Jimin do this? Have a life together? Why is Jungkook thinking these things, he doesn't even like Jimin. Does he? Jungkook sighs and rolls onto his side. Maybe things will be more clear in the morning.

 

…………..

 

   Jungkook wakes up and opens his eyes slowly, only to close them quickly when he sees the colours around him. Last night comes rushing back to him and he reaches for his phone. As he suspects, there’s a missed call from his mother. He listens to the message, his mother sounding worried and ready to help, and Jungkook groans. She was too sweet. And his predicament was too complicated. A text message makes his phone ping and Jungkook sees the text from Jimin.

 

Jimin: Help me move?

 

   Jungkook sighs again and runs a hand through his disheveled hair in distress. He has to help, he promised he would. But he really doesn't want to face Jimin right now. His mind is still too much of a mess. Jungkook decides to be a good friend and types his answer quickly, before he can change his mind.

 

Jungkook: I'll be right over

 

   Jungkook gets dressed and makes his hair look decent then grabs his wallet and phone and heads towards Jimin’s dorm room, stopping at a small coffee stand along the way. He gets four drinks, one for each of them, and hurries to the dorm.

   Jimin lets him in with a tight smile, a small “hello” breaking the ice the tiniest bit. Jungkook smiles back.

   “Hey. Got you all coffees,” Jungkook says and holds the tray up.

   “Oh, thanks.” Jungkook comes inside and Jimin closes the door behind him. He stares at Jungkook and the younger notices, but he doesn't say anything until Taehyung and Hoseok leave carrying boxes out to the truck Jimin’s father let him borrow for the trip home.

   “Why are you staring at me?” Jungkook asks and Jimin turns red, shuffling his feet and pointedly looking away.

   “You just… you look different in colour. Better.” Jimin gets even redder after he says the words and looks down at his feet. Jungkook’s mouth opens in surprise.

   “O-oh. Thanks. You do too. You're prettier,” he says and regrets it immediately, but it makes a surprised smile flash across Jimin’s face. A wave of affection spreads through Jungkook at the smile and he doesn't regret his words as much anymore.

   “Am I?” he asks curiously. Jungkook nods.

   “Jimin, I know last night was a bit… weird.” Jungkook falters, unsure of what he wants to say but unable able to turn back. So he pushes forward.

   “I think we can do this. The soulmate thing. If you still need to get used to the idea that's fine, I understand, but-” Jimin cuts him off with a hand on his arm.

   “Jungkook, I'm fine. I was surprised, confused, but I think I'm okay now.”

   “You are?”

   “Yeah. I'm gonna talk to my parents when I go home, figure some stuff out, but I'll be okay. We'll be okay,” Jimin says.

   “Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna talk to my parents too. Can I call you if I wanna… see you?” Jungkook asks hesitantly, not exactly sure how to put what he means into words. Jimin seems to understand.

   “Call me when you're ready,” he says. They both smile just as Taehyung and Hoseok walk back in to get more boxes.

   “You asked Jungkook to come help but neither of you have done anything!” Taehyung complains and Jimin laughs.

   “Sorry Tae, we're helping now.” They all grab a box and start walking to the truck, Jimin and Jungkook brushing arms as they walk. The world seems to get a little more saturated every time they touch, until it's so full of colour that it can't possibly get any brighter. Jungkook and Jimin smile and look at each other. They see the details of each other’s faces more clearly. They feel a warmth start to spread throughout them. The warmth sparks between them when their arms brush and they decide that they'll be okay.

 

………

 

   Jungkook and Jimin lay in bed together, snuggled up in the sheets of their shared bed in their shared apartment where they live their shared life. They've finished university and gotten jobs, slowly building a life together. They see the different colours of all four seasons, all the shades of blue that Jimin loves so much, the vibrancy of nature around them. They learn and grow together.

   As they lay in bed Jungkook thinks about these things and he looks at Jimin pressed against his chest, hair tickling his nose and breath coming out in warm puffs on his chest. He smiles. The initial surprise of Jimin being his soulmate had been enough to shake him and he was unsure for the first few weeks. But he had quickly fallen in love with Jimin.

   He fell in love with the way he laughs, the colour of his eyes, his small body, his sweet nature. And he knows that Jimin fell in love with him too.

   Jungkook knows now that they were always meant to be. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------

Ah, I love the soulmate trope. I hope this turned out well! Enjoy~