Nineteen

Jikook Drabbles

   Jungkook was in kindergarten and he was the smartest in his class. He learned how to write before anyone else, he could say words other kids couldn't, he was just a general know-it-all. So when he met a lively, carefree boy by the name of Jimin he immediately detested him.

   Jimin was the exact opposite of Jungkook. He took the longest to learn how to write his name, he never paid attention when the teacher spoke, and he was very noisy. Something Jungkook did not appreciate. Jungkook spent many days sitting at a table in the corner of the classroom with his friends and something to colour while he watched Jimin play with his friends and get into trouble.

   Jimin would run around the classroom and pull on girls’ hair, getting chastised by the teacher, and Jungkook would question how this kid was old enough to be in school. He definitely looked like he should be in preschool, and he was about as smart as a three year old. Well, in Jungkook’s opinion anyway.

----

   “Jungkook!” The boy heard his name being called at recess one day and he turned to find Jimin looking up at him excitedly.

   “Wanna come play tag with us?” he asked, pointing to his friends who stood a few feet away. Jungkook glanced at them and then looked back at Jimin, putting his hands in his pockets to try to look tough so Jimin would just leave. For some reason the boy being this close was making Jungkook nervous and he didn't like it.

   “No thanks,” he said. Jimin’s smile faltered and he tilted his head.

   “Oh. Why not?”

   “Because I don't like you. You're stupid. Do you even know how to spell ‘tag’?” Jungkook said meanly. Jimin frowned and his eyes started to water, still looking up at Jungkook.

   “B-but… I'm not stupid. I just want to play with you,” he said sadly. Jungkook poked Jimin in the stomach and the boy moved away, wrapping his arms around his tummy as protection.

   “Well too bad. I don't wanna play with you.” Jimin sniffled as tears began falling, wiping his eyes with his sleeves in the hopes that nobody would notice him crying.

   “You're mean, Jungkook,” he whined and continued to wipe at the tears and snot on his face. Jungkook looked around to see if any teachers were looking before turning and walking away without saying anything. Jimin continued to stand there, crying quietly, until the bell rang and the students went back to class.

----

   “Jimin, what's the biggest dinosaur called?” the teacher asked and the boy, who had been playing with the velcro on his shoes instead of listening, looked up in surprise.

   “Uhhhhh.. Stega...sau..rice?” he stuttered and the class broke out into giggles.

   “No, but good try Jimin. Jungkook, do you know?” the teacher said. Jungkook looked at Jimin before answering.

   “Tyrannosaurus Rex.”

   “Good job! Now, does anyone know what the T-rex ate?” The lesson continued but Jungkook and Jimin had engaged in a staring contest initiated by the taller. It ended when Jimin blinked and rubbed at his dry eyes cutely with his small fists and Jungkook found himself trying not to smile in both victory and adoration. When the lesson was over and they had some free time Jungkook walked up to Jimin, who still sat criss-cross applesauce on the carpet, and sat in front of him.

   “It's Stegosaurus,” he said. Jimin looked confused.

   “What?”

   “The dinosaur you tried to say. It's Stegosaurus, not ‘Stegasaurice’,” Jungkook said in a half mocking tone. Jimin looked down at his hands in embarrassment.

   “Oh. Okay. Thanks,” he said. Jungkook sighed and shook his head.

   “You're so dumb.” Jimin looked up, a hurt expression on his face.

   “Why do you always call me dumb? Just because I'm not as smart as you are? That's not fair,” he said and looked back down at his hands, which were back to playing with his velcro.

   “I call you dumb because you are dumb.” Jimin’s shoulders dropped and Jungkook saw a tear fall onto Jimin’s hand.

   “No I'm not,” Jimin argued quietly.

   “Yes you are.”

   “No I'm not.”

   “Yes you are.”

   “No I'm not!!” Jimin shouted, tears spilling from his eyes and onto the carpet, and Jungkook leaned back a bit, surprised at the outburst. The teacher came over and demanded to know what was going on.

   “Jungkook keeps calling me dumb,” Jimin whined and some snot dripped down his face, the boy wiping it on his sleeve. The teacher brought him some tissues and cleaned his face, wiping his shirt sleeve as well. She sat down next to them and set the box of tissues beside Jimin.

   “Jungkook? Is this true?” she asked. Jungkook looked down at his hands in shame and nodded.

   “Jungkook that's not nice. Please apologize to Jimin and promise to never call him mean names again.” Jungkook twisted his fingers together and played with them nervously, staring at them as he spoke.

   “I'm sorry Jimin. I promise I won't say mean things to you anymore.” The teacher nodded and looked at Jimin, who was blowing his nose quite loudly.

   “Jimin, what do you say now?” she said and Jimin looked at Jungkook for a second before returning his gaze to the floor.

   “I forgive you.” The teacher touched both their shoulders and smiled.

   “Good. Now no more fighting, okay boys?” They nodded and she stood, leaving the box of tissues with them and rushing to check on some other kids causing trouble. Jimin wiped the last of the tears and snot off his face and Jungkook watched with a heavy feeling in his heart.

   “I really am sorry,” he said quietly. Jimin looked up at him, surprised, and his expression softened into a small smile.

   “Oh. That's good,” he mumbled. Jungkook stood up and held his hand out for Jimin. The boy took it and was pulled up by Jungkook, who was stronger than he looked and pulled Jimin up so hard he almost fell forward onto Jungkook.

   “Ah!” he yelled and laughed, catching himself and standing up straight. Jungkook laughed as well and kept a hold on Jimin’s small hand. Jimin didn't notice until he tried to turn around to leave and was held in place by Jungkook.

   “Jungkook?” The taller stared at their hands for a moment before stepping towards Jimin and pecking him on the lips lightning quick. Then he let go of Jimin’s hand and walked away as fast as he could, going to his group of friends who were sitting in their usual corner. Jimin stared after him, frozen in surprise, and he didn't move until one of his friends noticed him and poked his side, making him flinch and laugh.

   “Ah, what was that for?” he giggled and ran with his friend to go play. Jungkook watched him and sighed to himself.

   The stereotype of boys being mean to their crushes was true. He had a ginormous crush on Jimin and he couldn't do anything but . Now he hoped things would be different. He hoped they could be friends. As he watched Jimin serve his friends some fake food and bow exaggeratedly with a big smile he thought he could be happy with that.

   Jimin, on the other hand, kept sneaking glances over at Jungkook and was reminded of their little kiss. Jimin felt his smile widen. All those times he had tried to become close to Jungkook because of his crush on him had backfired, but now they were finally paying off. Jimin hoped him and Jungkook could become friends. As he took another peek at Jungkook and saw that his eyes were on him and a smile was on his face he thought he could be happy with that.

 

----------

Something cute to hopefully get you in a good mood ^.^