Twenty One

Jikook Drabbles

    Jungkook was on vacation. He heard Jeju was nice this time of year so he decided to go there for a week. He picked a nice resort, one that sat near the ocean and had a beautiful view of the beach from his room. Jungkook loved to go down to the beach and swim or watch the other tourists or just take a nap. Sometimes he spent all day at the beach relaxing. It was on one of these days that he met Jimin.

   Jimin was on vacation. He heard Jeju was nice this time of year so he decided to go there for a week. Sound familiar? Yeah, fate does funny things. Jimin was staying at a smaller hotel closer to the city, one that had a beautiful view of the traditional architecture of the buildings. Jimin loved to go into town and talk to the locals to learn about Jeju. He also rented a car and enjoyed driving to popular tourist destinations. Sometimes he spent all day exploring. It was on one of these days that he met Jungkook.

   Jimin pulled up to the beach and parked the car, breathing in the ocean air and exhaling with a happy sigh. He got out of the car and grabbed the lunch he had packed, a lawn chair, some sunscreen and his book. Jimin walked down to the beach and found a nice place to set up, not too close to the water in case his book got wet and not too far to not be able to enjoy the sound of the waves.

   “This is a good spot,” Jimin said to himself cheerily and plopped his chair down in the sand, sitting on it carefully so it didn't tip over in the uneven sand. He was about to begin reading when a man came hurtling towards him, holding a hot dog and yelling at a bird to leave him alone. Jimin stood and moved, barely avoiding being tackled to the ground by said insane man, who ran past with an apologetic wave.

   “Well that was weird…” Jimin muttered and sat back down. He read a few sentences of his book before his concentration was broken as the same man came jogging back down the beach with an upset look on his face.

   “Um… What's wrong?” Jimin asked when the man was close enough to hear him.

   “That goddamn bird stole my hot dog. I paid for that. Stupid bird,” the man muttered and Jimin tried to decide if he should be amused or extremely confused. Because right now he was both.

   “Oh. Well I have a lunch, want some food? You can just take some, I don't mind,” Jimin offered. The man smiled and sat in the sand in front of Jimin, looking up at him cutely. Jimin found this man extremely weird and slightly worrying, but also extremely attractive if he had to be honest.

   “Would you really let me have some? You don't even know me. I could be a killer.” The man leaned in and whispered dramatically and Jimin chuckled.

   “Yeah, a killer who's afraid of birds. Terrifying.” The man pouted and leaned back on his hands.

   “Hey, birds are scary okay? You try being chased by one,” he moped.

   “No thanks. Here,” Jimin handed the other his bag and pointed to it.

   “Eat whatever you want, I packed plenty. By the way, what's your name? I don't want to call you ‘strange bird guy’ forever,” Jimin joked and the man laughed while digging through Jimin’s food. He pulled out a sandwich and held it up.

   “Hungry?” he asked Jimin, who nodded and thanked the man when he gave him the sandwich. Jimin put his book down to eat, sensing a long friendly conversation coming his way.

   “My name is Jungkook. What's yours? I don't want to call you ‘mysterious food guy’ forever.” Jimin snorted at the joke mirroring his own.

   “Jimin.” Jungkook nodded and bit into an apple he had found in Jimin’s bag.

   “Jimin. Nice name.”

   “Thanks.” Jimin blushed and hid his smile behind his sandwich.

   “So, Jimin, what brings you to Jeju?” Jungkook asked casually.

   “On vacation,” Jimin answered.

   “Oh me too.”

   “Really? Where are you staying?” Jungkook pointed to the resort, which was only a few minutes from the beach on foot, and Jimin looked behind him to see where Jungkook was pointing.

   “There?” he asked incredulously. The place looked fancy as hell, and there was no way Jimin was going to tell Jungkook where he was staying after learning that information. Jungkook nodded nonchalantly.

   “Yeah. How about you, where are you staying?” Jimin avoided the question by asking another.

   “How old are you?” How could this guy afford to stay there? He had to be the son of some super successful chaebol or something to have that kind of money.

   “Twenty,” Jungkook answered. Jimin paled. Okay he wasn't telling Jungkook where he was staying, nuh-uh.

   “Anyway where are you staying?” Jungkook asked again.

   “Not there,” Jimin responded. Jungkook smiled and laughed, the sound nicer than anything Jimin had ever heard.

   “I see. Yeah, that place is expensive. But my parents are helping pay for this trip and they wanted me to have the best accommodations.”

   ‘Ah,’ Jimin thought, ‘that explains that.’

   “So… how long is your trip?” Jungkook asked.

   “A week. Been here three days and leaving on Saturday.” Jungkook’s eyes widened and he leaned forward excitedly. Yup, now Jimin could see how young he was.

   “That's so weird, me too!” Jimin raised his eyebrows with a smile.

   “That is weird. Are you stalking me Jungkook?” he joked.

   “Pfft, you wish,” Jungkook said with a roll of his eyes and they both laughed.

   “Aren't you uncomfortable sitting on the sand?” Jimin asked when he realised the seating arrangements. Jungkook waved a hand lazily.

   “Nah. It's nice, you should sit down here too.” Jimin smiled and slid off his chair, sitting right in front of Jungkook. He had miscalculated how close they were and now their knees were touching, which didn't seem to bother Jungkook and it certainly didn't bother Jimin.

   “Hi,” Jungkook said dorkily when they were at the same eye level. Jimin giggled and shifted a bit to get comfortable, his knees brushing against Jungkook’s until he settled in place.

   “Hi,” he said back. Jungkook looked Jimin over for a moment, a small smile on his lips, and Jimin squirmed a bit more under his gaze.

   “How old are you? You look younger than me but you can't be. Otherwise you should be with your parents,” Jungkook teased and Jimin stuck his tongue out, earning a laugh from Jungkook.

   “I'm twenty two,” he said and Jungkook looked only slightly surprised.

   “Okay good I thought I was hitting on a kid for a second there.” Jimin froze and Jungkook did too, seeming to realise his words. He backpedaled as fast as he could.

   “I mean I’m not hitting on you, we're just talking. Just having lunch. Also you don't look like a kid, I just meant you look young and you could be in high school which is a good thing and-”

   “Shh, Jungkook, stop talking,” Jimin said and Jungkook obliged, turning darker and darker red every second.

   “I wasn't offended by you saying I look young and I really don't mind if you are hitting on me,” he reassured. Jungkook took a breath, which he didn't even realise he had been holding, and sighed in relief.

   “Really? You don't mind…?” Jimin shook his head.

   “In case you haven't noticed from the way we are in physical contact right now and how I've been staring at you since you sat here, I like guys,” Jimin said.

   “Ah, I see. Well so do I, in case you didn't pick up on that yet.” Jimin laughed and Jungkook found himself laughing too, Jimin’s laughter contagious.

   “Well this has been fun. Coming out to a stranger by accident,” Jungkook joked and Jimin agreed with a giggle.

   “Want to hang out at the resort? There's air conditioning,” Jungkook said.

   “Tempting. Sounds like fun,” Jimin answered and they stood up together, Jimin gathering his things and Jungkook taking the chair for him.

   “You don't have to carry that, you know. I got down here by myself.”

   “I know. I just want to be helpful. Makes me feel like more of a gentleman.”

   “Well thank you,” Jimin said with a smile.

   “You're welcome.” They packed Jimin’s things into the back seat and started driving,Jungkook giving directions to the resort. It only took a couple of minutes to arrive and when they did Jungkook stepped inside, spread his arms theatrically, and said,

   “Welcome to resort Jungkook!” Jimin facepalmed and giggled, trying to pretend he wasn't there with this embarrassment of a human.

   “My room is on the third floor. This way sir,” Jungkook said and waved dramatically to the elevator. Jimin accepted his fate and decided to go along with the embarrassing act.

   “Why thank you sir,” he said in a posh accent and followed Jungkook to the elevator. Jungkook smiled when Jimin joined in.

   ‘I think I'm in love,’ he thought jokingly. He laughed at his own joke in his head before returning to reality. Yes, he was aware he's a loser.

   “So the third floor, huh? Fancy. Got a nice view?” Jimin asked. Jungkook looked at him and smiled cutely.

   “The best.” Jimin felt his cheeks heat up and he looked down at his shoes, which were embarrassing, totally touristy flip flops. He shuffled his feet awkwardly.

   “I like your shoes,” Jungkook said and Jimin almost burst into flames from the heat in his face. He sort of wished he would.

   “Thanks. I like yours too.” Luckily Jungkook had equally cringey flip flops on so they could suffer together. Jungkook chuckled shyly.

   “Thanks.” The elevator dinged and the doors opened, revealing the third floor. Jungkook led Jimin to his room and opened the door slowly.

   “Ta-da!” he said when he swung it open completely. Jimin was honestly quite impressed with the room. It was twice the size of his hotel room and had a huge bed, a window that took up practically the whole wall facing the ocean, a patio and what looked to be a pretty big washroom.

   “Wow. I'm jealous,” Jimin said and Jungkook chuckled.

   “Yeah it's pretty fancy.” Jungkook took Jimin onto the patio and Jimin was surprised to find that he could smell the ocean from here.

   “Ugh I'm sooo jealous,” he said with a smile and Jungkook laughed again.

   “Why don't you stay for a bit? Like for dinner?” Jimin whipped his head to look at Jungkook and the man was honestly a little frightened at the speed.

   “D-dinner?” Jimin asked. Was this man seriously asking him out? The strange bird guy, who Jimin should not be attracted to at all but for some reason found himself internally combusting with every glance his way, was asking him out.

   “Yeah… is that okay?” Jimin nodded quickly, fringe falling into his eyes, and he brushed it to the side nervously.

   “Yeah dinner is great. It's just, I would need to change…” Jimin looked down at himself, the bathing suit shorts and plain white T-shirt not exactly date worthy.

   “It's alright, there are places where you don't need to dress up. And our dress code can be casual tourist, so we're both dressed perfectly.” Jimin smiled.

   “Alright. Dinner it is.”

   “Cool. In the meantime, want a tour of the resort?” Jimin nodded and they smiled at each other.

   “Sounds like fun.”