What Truth?

Starship's Summer Trainee

"And when I was just a trainee, Mr. Kim forced me to do a photoshoot in a bar. Then, when I acted up, he exposed the pictures and made it seem like I used to be a gangster!" Dasom finished her rant.

"Wow. That's just low." Jeongmin's aunty commented. "Does anyone else have something they want to say?" Everyone shook their heads. "Then, thank you, everyone, for dong this interview."

"That felt great!" Everyone cheered.

Jeongmin's aunty packed up her stuff. She spotted Minji and walked up to her. She smoothed out Minji's hair and gave her a hug. "Lee Minji, if you ever need any help or anything - if Mr. Kim abuses or threatens you again - come talk to me, ok?"

Minji nodded and smiled. "Thank you."

"Anytime." Jeongmin's aunty turned to leave. "Jeongmin-ah, tell your mom I said hi."

"Ok," Jeongmin replied. "Thank you, Aunty!"

As soon as his aunty left, the real, live reporter barged into the room with Mr. Kim close behind. "For the last time, Mr. Kim, I don't know of a section in the contract that says you can monitor." The interviewer said, irritated, as he helped his cameraman set up.

"But I'm the CEO!" Mr. Kim plead.

"If I let you stay in the room, will you shut up?"

"Yes."

"Fine." The interviewer looked at the Starship family infront of him and nodded. "We're on in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Hi, I'm Ko SeungHi, rookie reporter from Sports New Korea. I'm here with the Starship family. My, my, aren't they looking wonderful?"

After interviewer K.Will, SISTAR, and Boyfriend, the mic was passed over to Minji. Minji hesitated before grabbing the mic. Kwangmin hoped no difficult questions would be asked.

"So, Lee Minji. K-Pop's Little Princess. You've gone through a lot, haven't you?"

Minji laughed softly. "Yeah, I have. But it was all lessons well learned."

"That's a good mentality." The interviewer commented. "In your times at JYPE, do you have a moment that you remember the most?"

"Um," Minji thought. "A moment that I remember the most? That would have to be during my attitude scandal. I was practicing in the dance room when JYP locked me in. He told me that if I didn't change my attitude, he wouldn't open the door."

"That's terrible. Threatening you to change your attitude. Does he do that to all of his stars?"

Seeing how the interviewer twisted her words, she started to panic. "No, no, it wasn't a threat or anything negative. He did that to give me an attitude check. While I was slamming my body against the door to try and open it, I was forced to listen to his lecture about being the best person I can be. I had no choice but to listen and it made me realize what a horrible person I was. Once I got the door open with my bobby pin, I had to face him and I instantly realized why he did everything he did for me. Because he loved me. And because he wanted to see me being the best person I can be."

"JYP must mean a lot to you."

Minji smiled. "He was my second father."

"What about Mr. Kim? Is he like your second father?"

The smile disappeared. She glared at Mr. Kim and he glared back, daring her to say no. "Mr. Kim?" She gritted her teeth. "He's like my step father."

The interviewer started laughing, which broke the intense atmosphere. "Anyways. Every since it was revealed that you were also a Starship trainee, rumor has it, you're technically company-less. You're no longer under Mr. Kim's contract anymore right?"

"My contract actually ends today." Minji realized.

"You hear that, music industries? K-pop's Princess is up for grabs."

"No she's not." Mr. Kim interrupted. "We have a scheduled meeting after dinner tonight to discuss a new contract she is more than eager to sign. Right, Minji?"

Minji sighed loudly. "Yes, sir."

"You don't seem too happy," the interviewer mentioned. "Do you not like it here at Starship?"

"I do." Minji lied. "I love the family in this industry."

"And you love that Kwangmin is a part of Starship as well."

Minji and Kwangmin looked at each other and blushed. "Well, yes, I love that he's part of Starship."

"Aw, so cute." The interviewer squeeled. "I know you're constantly being interviewed about your relationship with Kwangmin so I'll skip that part of the interview."

Everyone laughed.

"But why? I love hearing how much she loves me." Kwangmin joked. Minji stuck her tongue out at him.

"I'm just worried that she's gonna get tired of saying how much she loves you, soon." The interviewer joked back. "So back on the topic of companies. All of the companies express their desire of you being a part of their company. What's it like being the center of attention?"

Mr. Kim got Minji's attention. He mouthed: if you screw this answer up, I'm sending you back to America.

"Is that a challenge?" Minji threatened Mr. Kim.

"What's a challenge?" The interviewer asked.

Minji smiled at Mr. Kim. "Challenge accepted."

"Lee Minji. Don't you dare!" Mr. Kim snarled.

Minji held the mic up to . "Center of attention? It . My own company doesn't even respect me; they even sabotaged me. My CEO is just waiting for me to mess up so he can ruin my life. Well guess what, Mr. Kim. You already ruined it so I've got nothing to lose when I say this on live t.v. Who ever wants to be a trainee, don't do it. You'll ruin your life! Or, at least, Mr. Kim will find a way to ruin it for you." Minji stormed out of the room. She made sure that every single step could be heard. She even made an effort to slam her door so hard that a bolt popped out.

Minji lay down on her bed, wondering if she did the right thing.

*Knock, knock, knock* "Minji-ah, open up!" Kwangmin demanded.

"No. Leave me alone." She turned her back to the door.

"Minji!"

"Please, Kwangmin. Just leave me alone."

Silence. "Ok, fine." Minji heard Kwangmin walk back downstairs to continue the interview.

She forced herself off of her bed and opened up her textbook suitcase to take out her plan tickets. "Stay? Or leave?" She looked around the empty room. "Thank you, Mr. Kim, for making this decision so fcking easy." She dug her pockets for money for the bus ride to the airport.

 

"So, what's up?" Hyunseong asked Kwangmin when he returned to the interview room.

"She locked herself in her room." Kwangmin glared at Mr. Kim.

"Aw, too bad," Mr. Kim mocked.

"Stay focused, Kwangmin," Donghyun warned in a low whisper.

"Shut up!" Kwangmin shouted.

"Hey, don't talk to Donghyun like that!" Mr. Kim scolded.

Everyone, incuding the interviewer, was surprised that Mr. Kim was defending Donghyun.

"Donghyun is my most loyal artist out of all of you and you shouldn't yell at him! He takes the industry seriously and tells me everything that goes on behind my back."

Donghyun avoided everyone's eyes.

"Kwangmin, did you ever wonder how I was so up to date with your whereabouts? Your texting habit? When you came back past curfew?"

Kwangmin looked at Donghyun. "You were the one that told him?! You're the reason why Minji lose her career?!"

Donghyun snapped. "I'm not the one who disobeyed! Don't blame me for everything you screwed up!"

The interviewer raised his hand. "The commercial is about to end. Do you want to continue with the interview or should we stop?"

"Continue!" Mr. Kim shouted before Kwangmin could protest.

"Hurry up and get this damn thing over with." Kwangmin cursed.

*After the interview*

"Thank you, Starship, for the interview."

Everyone bowed and waved the camera good bye.

"And that's a cut. Good job. Thank you." The interviewer started packing up.

Donghyun grabbed Kwangmin's arm. "We need to talk."

"No, we don't!" Kwangmin tugged his arm away but Donghyun tightened his grasp. "Ow!"

"ok, that's enough." K.Will interferred. He forced Donghyun to let go. "I know that this is a touchy subject but you're a band. You need to work together without getting violent."

"Tell him, not me." Kwangmin walked to the dorms.

"Kwangmin!" Donghyun shouted.

Soyou held him back from following Kwangmin. "Can't you give him some space?"

Donghyun rolled his eyes and watched the other return to their dorms. Mr. Kim patted Donghyun on the shoulder. "This is why you're my favorite."

Donghyun glared at Mr. Kim. "I'm part of a band called 'Boyfriend.' I'm not a solo artist. I'm the leader of something that means the world to me. I'm part of a great thing that's slowly breaking apart. And the least I care about is whether or not I'm your favorite." He left the room.

The interviewer couldn't hold back his laugh.

"What? You got a problem? Want me to ruin your life, too?" Mr. Kim threatened.

"What life?" The interviewer retorted. "I'm just a rookie."

~~~~~

Donghyun walked up the stairs and to the Boyfriend dorm. As he walked down the hallway, Minji opened her door. Donghyun pointed at all of the luggage she was carrying. "Are you leaving?"

"Sh!" Minji closed her eyes because her hands were too occupied to cover his mouth. "I'm going back to America," She whispered.

Donghyun's looked at her with a sad expression. "I'm so sorry, Minji." She tilted her head. "I was the one who told Mr. Kim about Kwangmin. I'm the reason why you had to return to Starship. Please forgive me."

She stared at him. She wanted to slap him hard but she knew that everything that happened was her fault. "I shouldn't have lied in the first place. None of this is your fault."

"Everything is my fault! Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

"Actually," she said. "Promise me that you won't tell anyone that I'm leaving."

"Not even Kwangmin?"

"Especially Kwangmin."

He tried to protest. "But-"

"This is all your fault," Minji lied to get him to promise her.

He nodded nad let her pass him. "Before you go, do you already have a flight confirmation? I can help you if you didn't get a ticket yet."

She shook her head. "My contract as the Summer Trainee ends today and these tickets-" She held up the hand holding the tickets "-are my original return flight tickets."

"When's your flight?"

"Tomorrow at 10am."

"And you're going to the airport now?"

"I can't stay here any longer."

"Let me get you a hotel." Donghyun took out his phone.

"No," Minji protested. "The fans will find out." She headed down the stairs. "Remember, don't tell anyone! Oh, and, thank you for that restaurant date last month. The crab sushi was my favorite." She smiled and disappeared down the stairs.

Donghyun was still in the hallway when Kwangmin walked out of the dorm.

"Who were you talking to?"

Donghyun looked at Kwangmin sadly. He wanted to tell him but he promised Minji. "No one..."

"Freak," Kwangmin pushed Donghyun's shoulders as he walked past.

"Where are you going?" Donghyun accidently sked in an angry voice.

"Who gives a ? Just promise not to tell Mr. Kim k?"

"Promises, promises..."

 

----- July 27 -----

"You came back after 10:30 last night." Donghyun said to Kwangmin the next morning. "But I didn't tell Mr. Kim."

Kwangmin rolled his eyes.

"Ok, I'm sorry, Kwangmin." Donghyun apologized.

"Whatever." Kwangmin left the dorm.

Donghyun sighed. Hyunseong handed Donghyun a granola bar. "I don't know what to do with him." Donghyun joined the other members infront of the t.v.

"Hyung, I'm worried about him." Minwoo frowned at his cereal bowl. "He came back after midnight. I think he went to a bad place last night."

"Kwangmin wouldn't go to a bar or anything. He's mad but not THAT mad." Hyunseong commented.

"But you never know," Minwoo pouted.

"Actually," Youngmin spoke up. "He was right out side in the hall."

"Huh?" Everyone asked.

"Why were you up past midnight?" Jeongmin questioned Youngmin. "Were you watching Teletubbies on your computer again?" Jeongmin laughed.

"Well, yes but that's not the point." Youngmin blulshed. "He was sitting out side of Minji's room, trying to get her to come out. He's really sad."

Everyone frowned.

"Do you think she'll come out today?" Minwoo asked.

"I doubt it." Donghyun said. He wanted to tell them so badly. "I don't think she'll come out."

"I hope Kwangmin doesn't get depressed or anything." Hyunseong said. "He really loves Minji."

"I wish my brother would stop hurting." Youngmin added. "He's not a bad person; he did nothing wrong. He doesn't deserve this."

Jeongmin, Hyunseong and Minwoo agreed.

"He deserves the truth," Jeongmin cheered.

He deserves the truth. The words echoed in Donghyun's head. "He deserves the truth..."

"Hyung?"

Donghyun stood up. "I need to tell him the truth." He rushed out of the room. But the search from Kwangmin was easier than he thought. Kwangmin was leaning against Minji's door, crying.

"Kwangmin." Donghyun kneeled next to Kwangmin.

He slowly opened his teary eyes. "What? Are you gonna yell at me again? Are you gonna tell me I'm busted? That I should say good bye to my career because you're gonna tell Mr. Kim? Are you gonna call me a baby for crying? What? Are you gonna call me stupid for falling for a girl?"

"I'm gonna tell you the truth."

"What truth? That she won't be coming out? She hasn't come out yet! Why hasn't she come out?"

Donghyun sighed. "She hasn't come out because she's at the airport. She's been at the airport since yesterday."

Kwangmin sprang to his feet. "What?!"

"I promised her that I wouldn't tell you but you deserve the truth. Her flight back home is at 10am."

Kwangmin looked at his watch. "9:30! I'm not gonna make it!" He sprinted down the stairs and out of the building when he almost got run over by a motorcycle.

"Woah!" Wooyoung slammed on his brakes just in time. "Pikachu-twin?"

"Hyun! Get me to the airport!" Kwangmin climbed onto the bike. "Minji's flight is in thirty minutes."

Wooyoung tossed Kwangmin Minji's helmet. As soon as Wooyoung heard Kwangmin click the safety lock, he zoomed to the airport.

"Please still be there, please!"