To Infinity and Beyond

Starship's Summer Trainee

Minji was about to cry when Kwangmin caught her attention. He signaled for her to turn the note around. She did.

'The guy should be the one asking the girl out. Don't hurt my pride >< So... Do you want to date?'

When she looked up, he was watching for her reactions. He gave a thumbs up and titled his head as a way to ask "Is that a yes?"

To , she gave a thumbs down. Then slowly, a thumbs up. Back to a thumbs down. She quickly gave two thumbs up and nodded.

He fist pumped. Minwoo whispered to Kwangmin and Kwangmin nodded. They high fived. Kwangmin blew her a kiss.

The girls behind Minji screamed when they thought Kwangmin was giving them a kiss. Minji and Kwangmin looked at each other and laughed. She blew him a kiss back and Minwooi "stole it". Kwangmin tried to take it back and all of a sudden, Hyunseong was trying to break up the two boys that were fighting over her invisible kiss.

"Oh, gosh, my boyfried is a weirdo." She giggled, back to her American accent.

----- Music Bank -----

"Minji~" Kwangmin stuck his head into Minji dressing room. She was fast asleep on the sofa with her makeup all ready for her last performance of her debut song. "Cutie..." He played with her hair which was temporarily black to hide the color change for the duet. He leaned over her and lightly kissed her on the lips.

"Hm?" She shifted and slowly opened to her eyes to find Kwangmin only a few centimeters away. She blinked. "AAAAAHHHHHH!!!"

He jumped.

"What are you doing in here?!" She screamed in English.

JYP ran into the room. "What's wrong?"

Kwangmin shrugged.

She pointed at Kwangmin. "He freakin' scared me half to death!" (Minji picked up a few swear words from Youngmin)

Kwangmin pouted. "What? I can't kiss my girlfriend?"

She covered his mouth.

JYP opened the door. "I heard what he said. Prepare to be teased when we get back to the company building~" He stuck his tongue out and closed the door.

She glared at Kwangmin. He shrugged innocently.

JYP stuck his head back in. "By the way, the teaser performance begins in ten minutes."

-----

"And the winner of today's Music Bank show is... Lee Minji!"

She walked up to the front and dragged Kwangmin along. "Thank you so much for this award. I just debuted less than a month ago and thanks to all of your support, I am able to hold this trophy in my hands. I would like to thank my fans, the JYPE family for treating me well, JYP himself, and Kwangmin." She turned to him. "Thank you for always being by my side. You're the best."

Instead of her debut song, the teaser duet song sounded through the speakers. Minji and Kwangmin smiled at each other and danced her teaser for the second time that night.

'I'm so stupid~ I can't believe I fell for it~ You got me under your skin~'

 

----- June 28; Music Core -----

"Well, that was fun." Minji commented on the duet performance as she and Kwangmin walked onto the stage for the awards.

Kwangmin held her hand. It was too crowded for the other idols to notice. "I agree, today's duet debut was really fun. But aren't you sad that you're no longer performing your debut song? You were on a role, too. First place for M Countdown and Music Bank. You probably would have won tonight's show, too, if you were still promoting."

She smiled at him. "I don't care about winning as much as I love performing on the same stage as you."

He kissed her hand. "I heard our MV already hit the five million views mark. Also, our song debuted at #1 on most of the Korean charts!" Kwangmin mentioned.

"Impossible," she shook her head.

"I bet we're going to win."

"I bet not," she objected. "This was our first performance."

"If we win, you have to buy me dinner tomorrow."

"Deal."

"And the winner," The host announced. "For tonight's Music Core. Is... Kwangmin and Minji!"

They stood, frozen. Perplexed. Not believing that they won.

"Did they just saw our names?" She asked.

"Lobster." He bluntly said.

"Huh?"

"Tomorrow night." He stuck his tongue out at her. "I want lobster for dinner."

 

----- June 29 -----

"Hi, can we have the lobster for two special, please?" Kwangmin asked the waiter. They in a fancy high class restaurant.

Minji crossed her arms. "I thought you were joking about the lobster."

"I don't joke when it comes to food." He smirked and took a piece of the complementary bread.

She kept her arms crossed.

"Don't be mad~"

"I'm not mad!" She said with anger in her voice.

"Come on, this is our first date as a couple. Be happy!" He smiled widely.

There was bread stuck to the corner of his mouth. She giggled and wiped it away with her napkin. "My boyfriend's a weirdo."

"Thank you again for saying yes. You don't know how happy I am." He held her hands from across the table.

"Hey." She frowned. "You're not the only one that's happy. I bet I'm happier than you are!"

He smiled. "That's impossible. I've never been this happy in my life."

"Neither have I." She played with his fingers which made him blush. "No, actually, I think I was happier when I bought my new calculator."

"What?" He frowned.

"Just joking." She giggled.

He laughed along. Theyu started thumb wrestling. "Whoever loses has to answer one question truthfully," he offered.

"You're on."

*Minji wins* "What's your silly sleeping habit?"

"I can't go to sleep without my Pikachu plushy."

*Minji wins* "Hobby?"

"Dancing, reading, watching movies, and listening to music."

*Kwangmin wins* "Do you prefer singers or dancers?"

"I like rappers better."

*Minji wins* "Favorite song?"

"Our duet song."

"Don't lie."

"No, really. I love it."

"You better not be lying."

"I'm not," Kwangmin held out his pinky. Minji eyed him before linking pinkies. "Our food should be here soon so let's have one more round."

She nodded. "I have nothing else to ask you, though."

"I have something I want to know," he said.

"Then just ask. We don't need to thumb wrestle over it." She liked his dorkiness.

"Okay, then. Um. Why did you accept me?"

"Because I like you, silly." She poked his head.

"When you rejected me the first time," he looked down. "I really thought I meant nothing to you."

She giggled.

"Why are you laughing? I'm being serious here."

"I know." Her laugh was replaced by a smile. "But after all we've been through before yesterday, you didn't know that I liked you from the start?"

He perked up. "You liked me from the start? As in, when we first met?"

She nodded. "I've never liked a boy before but for some reason, you were different."

"I liked you from the start, too."

"I know." She stuck her tongue out. "That's why I kept my distance from you."

He pouted.

"I didn't know how dating would affect my debut, since I've never dated before. Although, you were my best friend and you protected me and gave me strength. You kept me company and you always made me smile. I would be crazy if I said that I didn't like you from the start." She gave him an eye smile. "I love you, Kwangmin."

He blushed and signaled for her to lean forward. She closed her eyes, anticipating a kiss. Instead, he flicked her forehead.

"What was that for?" She rubbed her forehead.

"You really don't know about dating do you?" He rolled his eyes. "First of all, girls shouldn't be the ones making the first moves. Second, you don't tell the person you love them on their first date."

"But I do love you!"

He rushed in for a deep kiss. He broke it off and looked her in the eyes. "I love you more. Now, THAT'S how you tell someone you love them." He sat back as the waiter placed their meal on the table. "Wow, it looks amazing." He stared, open mouthed, at the fancy lobster that sat on the dinner table.

"And expensive..." She slowly pulled out her wallet to check if she had enough money to pay for the meal. She frowned when all she saw was the credit card JYP gave her for emergencies only. I guess I'll have to charge it....

"Don't worry, Minji-ah, I didn't mean it when I said that you have to pay." Kwangmin placed food on her plate before serving himself.

"It's alright, I can pay." She poured grape juice into the fancy glass cups.

He shook his head. "I can't do that to my girl. I know you only have the credit card JYP gave you for emergencies."

She widened your eyes. "How did you know?"

"When it comes to you, I know everything."

"Stalker..." She mumbled.

"Not stalker. I prefer the term 'love'." He help up his glass, proposing a toast. "May we be together for a long time."

"No!" She objected. "One year is a long time. I want to be with you longer than that."

He chuckled. "Do you have something better?"

She raised her glass. "May we be together to infinity." They brought their cups together with a clank. "And beyond."

"Nothing and no one will tear us apart." The joy they both felt at that moment was too miraculous to be described with words.

-----

"I'm here in LOEN Entertainment about to interview a highly anticipated solo artist. Her dance practice videos have swept YouTube where she was discovered and made into an overnight sensation. Let's welcome the newest K-Pop princess. Miss, please introduce yourself." The reporter handed his mic to the soon-to-debut 17 year old girl.

"Hi," she smiled fakely at the camera. "I'm Sara Kwon from LOEN Entertainment and I'm debuting tomorrow on Inkigayo. Please take care of me."

 

----- June 30 -----

"And the winner of today's Inkigayo is... Jo Kwangmin and Lee Minji! Congratulations!"

~~~~~

"Great job today, Minji-ah~" Kwangmin pulled Minji into a hug in their shared dressing room. The coordinators giggled before leaving the room.

"Great job to you, too." She hugged him back. "You're an amazing partner."

"And an amazing boyfriend?" He smirked.

She rolled her eyes and sat on the couch, staring at the trophy. He sat next to her and placed his arm on her shoulders. After a few moments, she placed her head on his shoulder and hugged his waist. She sighed. "You okay?" He rubbed her shoulder.

She nodded. "I don't know how I got so lucky. I'm living my dream, I get everything I want, and..."

"And?" He peered at her, wanting for her to continue.

She stuck her tongue out at him and burried her face in his chest.

"Say it~" He nudged her.

"No." She didn't budge.

"Or else," he started tickling her.

"URG!" She pursed her lips tight so she wouldn't laugh. He stopped when he realized that tickling her wasn't working. "Guess I'll have to do it the hard way."

"Hard way?" She looked up at him.

He titled her chin up and closed his eyes. She quickly followed and closed her eyes, heart beating quickly. When seconds passed and her lips were still untouched, she peaked and found Kwangmin staring at her, amused. "What are you-"

He rushed forward again and brushed his lips on hers. She leaned forward only to have him pull back. He blew minty air in her face, taunting, teasing.

"Oppa..." She whined, leaning forward again, practically ontop of him. He pulled back and his back hit the arm rest.

"And...?" He repeated his question; the source of his mischief.

"And nothing." She ran her fingers through his hair.

"H-hey," he said nervously. "I'm the one that's supposed to be teasing you."

"Well, I can turn the tables around, can't I?" She kissed his cheek and brushed her lips on his. His previous tactic. Well played, Minji, well played.

"I just want to hear you say it," he whispered with a husky voice.

"I don't want to." She whispered in his ear. She tugged on his hair.

"So much for being innocent." He sat up and leaned against her. He brushed her cheek with his hand and leaned in.

"I'm here backstage with tonight's Inkigayo first place winners." An interviewer, followed by a cameraman swung the door open.

Minji and Kwangmin shot up off the couch. The interviewer eyed them suspiciously but carried on with the show. "Lee Minji and Jo Kwangmin, congrats on winning your second first place trophy. Wow, your popularity is sky high! Minji, you debuted less than a month ago and you two have only performed this duet twice. Winning first place since day one. Amazing! Do you have anything you would like to say?"

"First of all, I'd like to say thank you very much." Kwangmin answered first. Minji fanned herself with her hands, trying to calm down from earlier. "We worked extremely hard for this duet and it feels great having that hard work pay off."

`````

"So, I know you've been asked this a million times since your debut." The interviewer turned to Minji. "Do you have an ideal type? On Happy Together, you said you liked guys who know the difference between work and play. Is that still true?"

She nodded.

"Do you want to add anything else?" The interviewer insisted.

"Um," she looked at Kwangmin. "I likes guys who can rap."

"Do you have a boy in mind?"

"Yes." She answered quickly. Kwangmin smiled at her honesty.

"Who is it?" The interviewer asked.

She placed a finger to her lips signalling that she wasn't going to say anything.

"Well, I have a list of boy band idols who said you were their ideal type." The interviewer took out his phone. "I think there are about eight that said you were their ideal type."

"There's a list?" Kwangmin blurted out, upset.

"You don't need to read it." She laughed nervously. She knew Kwangmin didn't like the fact that there was a list of boy band idol admirers by the way he scrunched his eyebrows together.

The interviewer found the list on his phone. "I'll just read it quickly and tell me if he's on it."

"He's not on the list." She quickly said to prevent the interviewer from reading the list.

"Oh." The interviewed nodded. "Too bad, I was hoping that the rumors were true."

"What rumors?"

"That you and Kwangmin are dating."

Minji and Kwangmin looked at each other. "What if we are?" She teased the interviewer.

"No, you said your ideal type isn't on the list of boys who like you."

She tilted her head. "Is Kwangmin on the list?"

"Yes, he is."

She looked at Kwangmin who smiled awkwardly.

"Well, it looks like a one sided love." The interviewer joked. "Kwangmin, to heal your broken heart, I brought you your number one fan."

Before Minji could object, a 17-year-old girl bursted through the door.

Both Minji and Kwangmin gasped in horror at who it was.

"Hi, Kwangmin-oppa," Sara Kwon smirked. "Missed me?"

"Oh... Hi, Sara..." Kwangmin reluctantly greeted. Sara pulled him into a big hug. She stuck her tongue out at Minji.

Minji scoffed, "."

"Did you say something, Minji?" The interviewer asked. She shook her head and glared at Sara. "So, how does it feel meeting Kwangmin, Sara?" The interviewer held out his mic.

Sara released Kwangmin who immediately ran behind Minji. "It's amazing. I'm so happy right now!"

"What about you, Kwangmin?"

"Yes," Kwangmin just nodded.

The interviewer looked at him oddly. "But you didn't answer the question."

"Yes."

""Why are you saying -"

"Yes." Kwangmin smiled innocently. "My brain isn't working right now so you two should leave." He pushed the interviewer and Sara to the door.

"Wait!" Sara yelled. "I worked hard to lose weight and improve my looks so you would notice me." She shyly looked down. "Do you want to be my boyfriend?"

"A K-pop confession!" A K-pop confession! Did you catch it on film?" The interviewer screamed into the mic. Minji plopped onto the couch and crossed her arms, irritated. Kwangmin saw her and rubbed his neck. "I'm sorry, Sara. I'm flattered that you changed for me and you look great. But I already love someone."

"Is it Minji?" The interviewer shoved the mic to Kwangmin. Kwangmin just smiled.

"I understand..." Sara wiped away fake tears. "I should go now..." She rushed out of the dressing room.

"First K-pop heart break..." The interviewer pouted at the camera. "That's it for Backstage Inkigayo! See you next week!" The interviewer bowed to Minji and Kwangmin. "Thank you for the interview." "Thank you," They bowed back. The interviewer and cameraman bowed once again before leaving the room.

"What a drama queen." Minji thought out loud.

Kwangmin smirked. "Are you jealous?"

"No!" She forcefully brushed her hair with her hair brush, mumbling away in English.

"You know I only love you, right?"

"Yeah, yeah."

"Hey! Don't give me that attitube!" He scolded her.

Surprised at his reprimand, she held his hands. "I'm sorry. I'm just really jealous."

"I understand," he smiled. "I was jealous earlier, too, when the interviewer said that you have a list of admirers. I only have one creeper stalker. You have a list! There are probably fifty guys on that list! A list!!!"

She giggled. "I only care about one name on that list."

"Who?" He moved closer to her.

"I wonder if Infinite's Woohyun is on it." She teased.

"Well then!" He took a step back.

"Joking!" She wrapped her arms around his neck. "I don't know how I got so lucky." She repeated what she said before the interview. "I'm living my dream, I get everything I want and..." He grabbed her waist, pulling her closer to him. "I have the best boyfriend. Ever." He kissed her.

"I should go now," Kwangmin pulled away, blushing. "Starship scheduled some kind of episode shooting for the duet promotion. I need to get a good night's rest."

"Oh. I have a shooting tomorrow, too. But mines it later on in the afternoon. I guess we won't see each other tomorrow." She pouted.

He kissed her on the cheek. "I'll see you later."

"Bye~" She waved as he picked up his backpack and left.

She smiled and started packing up her own stuff. She started humming to Kwangmin's rap parts in the duet.

"Aren't you living a great life?" Startled, Minji turned around to find Sara standing in the doorway with her eyes filled with hate. "When did you and Kwangmin start dating?" She slowly walked over to Minji, closing the door along the way. "He must be in love with you. Isn't that sweet?"

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." Minji grabbed the duet trophy and backed up into the wall.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," Sara grabbed the trophy and placed in on the table. "Don't worry, I won't hurt your precious trophy."

"What do you want from me?" Minji asked, scared.

Sara smiled innocently. "Your boyfriend."

"No," Minji said firmly. "Never."

"We'll see about that," Sara flipped her hair.

"Leave us alone."

"Nope, this is much more fun," Sara skipped to the door. "Oh, by the way. You may be at the top of the charts right now but enjoy it while it lasts. Your fame will disappear soon."

"What are you talking about?"

"For a smart girl, you sure are stupid." Sara rolled her eyes. "Fame is only temporary. And you concept is too cliche. Innocent to y?" Sara pointed at Minji's skin-tight dress. "Bo-ring! To remain at the top, you need to be the devil. Yo need to be sassy and rude. If you're too nice, people will stomp all over you. Just like what I'm doing right now. Once I'm through torturing you, guess who will be at the top of the charts? Me."

Minji believed every word Sara said.

Sara patted Minji on the cheeks. "I care about you, dongsaeng-ah." She walked back to the door. "Stay away from Kwangmin. Bye!"

Is she telling the truth? Minji asked herself Will being too nice lead to failure? She clenched her fists. "Failure... I can't let that happen..."