I'm Not Here To Date

Starship's Summer Trainee

----- June 14 -----

"Hello, miss," a man in a suit walked up to Minji. "You look like a potential star."

She shook her head. "Sorry, if you're a salesman, I'm not interested in your products."

"I'm not a salesman, miss." The man pulled out a card. "I'm from JYP Entertainment. I heard you singing just now and I'm scouting you into our company."

She blinked. "You're kidding me right?"

The man laughed. "Of course not." He gave her the card. "Come into the company building soon. Tell Mr. Park that Mr. Yang scouted you." Mr. Yang smiled and walked away.

She placed the card into her pocket and kept walking. She walked aimlessly around for a long time before she sat on the nearest bench to take a rest.

"Kya! I hope I make it into JYP Entertainment! 2PM! Miss A! Wonder Girls! 2AM!" A girl and her friend squeeled before entering the building behind the bench Minji was sitting on.

"Mmm." She took out the business card the man gave her earlier today. "Maybe I should audition... I have no where else to go anyways." She got up and registered herrself for an audition.

She was in the waiting room with a couple of other auditioners waiting anxiously for their turn. "Next, number 25, Lee Minji." She got up and dragged her luggage with her into the audition room.

When she entered, four judges, including Jinyoung Park himself sat at a long table on the other side of the room. She placed her luggage next to the door, walked to the middle of the room and bowed. "Hello, I'm Lee Minji. Nice to meet you."

"Hi, Ms. Lee," JYP smiled. "What year were you born in?"

"1995."

"I noticed that you filled out the English audition form instead of the Korean one."

"Yes, sir. Actually, I live in America but I came to Korea more than a week ago for... Personal matters."

"Oh, really?" JYP was impressed. "Your accent is cute."

"Thank you, sir."

"So why are you auditioning today?"

She remained calm and professional. "I was scouted by Mr. Yang today and decided to give this audition a shot."

"Bring Mr. Yang in." JYP ordered his assistant.

Mr. Yang entered the room instantly.

"Mr. Yang, did you scout Lee Minji today?" JYP asked to confirm.

"Yes, sir. I heard her singing in the shopping district and gave her a card." Mr. Yang smiled at Minji. "She's great."

"You are dismissed." Mr. Yang bowed and left the room. "Mr. Yang is my best recuiter." JYP commented. "So, Ms. Lee." He looked at her application. "What are your talents?"

"I sing, dance, and play multiple instruments, sir."

"Please dance for us."

She nodded and started freestyling.

After a minute of dancing, JYP raised his hand to stop her. "Thank you, please sing."

She nodded and sang. She anticipated when JYP would stop her from singing but her sang the entire song without an end.

JYP and his assistants were silent.

"Sir?" She asked, nervous. "My main talent is dancing but was I really that horrible at singing?"

JYP stood up and started clapping. "That was amazing! Usually we wait a few months before we call an auditioner back to sign a contract but you're amazing. Follow me into my office, I want to sign you into this company right now."

Minji couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Come on," JYP laughed at her frozen in the middle of the room. "Don't worry about your bags, I'll have my assistants take care of it for now."

She nodded and followed JYP into his office. "Please sit." She sat across of JYP. "So, Ms. Lee. Are you ready to become an offical JYP trainee?"

"Yes, sir." She stuttered.

"Are you okay?" JYP looked at her, concerned.

"Sorry, sir. It's just, I can't believe this is happening."

"Well, believe it," he laughed. "I just need you to sign these two forms. I printed out English copies for you." He passed her the papers and a pen. "The first one is just the general contract for trainees. Your classes will be daily depending on your skill level and the classes you will be trained in. We will determine your placement after we get the paper work done. If you fail to show up for three days without an excuse, you will be kicked out of the company. Any questions so far?"

"No, sir." She signed the paper after reading it in English as JYP said it in Korean. "The second one is a dorming contract."

She looked up. "Dorming?"

"You said you were visiting from America, right? Well, I assume that you either came by yourself or are visiting a relative. It would be too difficult for you to transport around here since you just arrived a week ago. Besides, you have all of your things in your luggage, right? Only active idols live in the dorms in this building but I have a feel that you're going to debut soon anyways. Therefore, I'm having you stay in the dorms. Is that alright?"

She nodded. "Yes, sir. How much is rent?"

JYP laughed. "This is not an apartment. I'm investing my money on you because I can see that you'll be a great star. Don't let me down ok?"

She smiled. "I won't let you down, sir." She signed the dorming contract and handed it to JYP.

"Let's visit your dorm right now." She followed him onto the fifth/last floor.

"The 2nd floor is where you'll be training, the 3rd floor is the recreational floor - there's a gym, gaming room, and sports, the 4th is the regular dorms, and your dorm is here on the 5th floor. There are no other rooms available for you right now so you're lucky; you get the entire floor to yourself. You have everything here." JYP spun around. "Flat screen t.v., walk in closet, pool, and gym." He grabbed her arm. "But you're too skinny so the gym is off limits to you." He laughed. "We'll get you on a new diet to gain weight. My current labels 2PM and Miss A usually play games to see who gets to spend the day here." He jumped onto the king sized bed with golden bed sheets. "This place is beautiful, isn't it?"

She looked around the room. "Amazing... But I don't mind sleeping on the couch or something."

JYP shook his head. "Don't worry about it. You're my new investment. I'm expecting great things from you." He patted her shoulders. "Let's go back down to the 1st floor to take your placement tests."

-----

"You're very talented, Ms. Lee." A lady instructor commented as she gave Minji her new schedule which was determined by her placement test.

She skimmed through it. "I only have training every other day?" She was surprised at how empty your schedule looked.

The instructor nodded. "You actually pass the debut test but since you just got here today, you are required to take some classes."

"Wow," she said.

"By the way, I'm your vocal teacher, Mrs. Kang." Minji shook Mrs. Kang's hand.

"I look forward to being your student." Minji said politely.

"As I look forward to being your teacher." Mrs. Kang smiled. "You're very cute, Ms. Lee. You remind me of my daughter when she was your age."

"How old is your daughter?"

"25."

"She moved to America after college because she didn't like how I treated her." Mrs. Kang looked sad. "I wanted her to debut and become a famous singer but she wanted to be a doctor. She's a very successful doctor right now and I'm extremely proud of her but I should have respected her decision. I should have supported her all the way."

Minji gasped when she realized that she was in the reverse situation. "I'm sorry to hear that, Mrs. Kang."

"No, no, I'm sorry for telling you this when you didn't even ask."

"It's alright. As long as sharing it makes you feel better." Minji comforted Mrs. Kang.

"You're a very kind girl, Minji-ah."

Minji smiled.

"You don't have training today so enjoy your free time. Get to know the famous JYP idols. I'll see you tomorrow."

Minji bowed. "See you tomorrow, Mrs. Kang." She looked around to see if there was anything she could do. She decided to visit the 3rd floor recreation area.

On the 3rd floor was a guy singing on the karaoke machine who stopped when he saw she walk in.

She bowed. "Hello, I'm Lee Minji. I'm the new trainee."

The guy bowed back. "Hey, I'm Wooyoung from 2PM. I didn't know we were getting a new sibling."

"Sibling?"

Wooyoung nodded. "We are a JYP family so we call everyone our 'siblings'." He looked at her from head to toe. "Yay! I get a cute new sister!"

She blushed.

"How old are you?"

"16."

"Aw, so cute!" He pinched her cheeks. "Did you take a tour of the building yet?"

"Not yet, I only visited my dorm on the 5th floor."

His jaw dropped. "Y-y-you're living on the special floor?! You must be really talented than." He grabbed her arm. "The Wonder Girls and 2AM are out of the country so I'll introduce you to 2PM and Miss A."

~~~~~

"Hello, I'm Minji." She bowed to 2PM and Miss A.

They bowed back and introduced themselves.

"Hi, I'm Miss A's Suzy." Suzy gave an eye smile.

"Wassup, I'm Min from Miss A," Min said in English.

"Oh! You can speak English?"

"Yep," Min smiled. "I could tell you're American because of your accent. Where are you from?"

"Hawaii."

Everyone else but Wooyoung went back to what they were previously doing to let Minji and Min talk. Wooyoung stayed with them and tried to pick up some English vocabulary.

"Hawaii?" Min gasped. "Wow, I've always wanted to go to Hawaii. I'm from California, by the way."

"I'm from Thailand. I'm Nichkhun." He joined in.

"Hello," Minji shook his hand.

Two hours passed and she became friends with everyone. "I'm going to take Minji on a tour of the building." Wooyoung told everyone.

"I can take her," Nichkhun offered. He was sort of interested in her.

Wooyoung blocked him and whispered in his ear. "No, I saw her first." He turned to Minji, "Let's go."

"Bye, Minji-ah!" Everyone waved as she followed Wooyoung down the stairs.

"You sure are popular." Wooyoung said bitterly.

She shrugged. "Everyone is so nice and I really like it here. I feel like part of the family already."

"I should give you a few tips, though." Wooyoung said. "Stay away from Nichkhun. He looks innocent but he's a bad boy."

She tilted her head. "Are you... Jealous?"

"What? Jealous? Me? No." He denied it.

"Don't worry," She sighed. "I'm not here to date."

Wooyoung looked at her, surprised. All of these good looking guys and she's not interested one bit?

"I have a dream that I must reach. Just recently, I was ready to give up on that dream.  But now that I have this chance, I won't let anything stand in my way."