Maybe We'll Meet Again

Starship's Summer Trainee

----- June 12; 11pm -----

"'Boyfriend, she's the wrong girl. Get rid of Lee Minji'?" Kwangmin repeated what Ms. Kwon said yesterday while they walked back to their dorms. "Impossible. Minwoo-ah, you saw the audition video, right? How could she be the wrong winner?"

Minwoo shrugged. "Maybe she just practiced really hard for that audition when she really can't dance."

"There are some people that do that," Hyunseong agreed.

"No, but that's impossible. She's so perfect, she couldn't have been wrongly awarded the winner..." Kwangmin slumped on the ground.

"Come on, get up," Youngmin pulled Kwangmin up. They gathered infront of their dorm.

-

"Excuse me," Minji made her way past Hyunseong and Jeongmin to reach her door, back from a walk.

"Lookie here," Donghyun taunted.

"It's the wrong winner." "Little Miss America is talentless." "I guess beauty really is only skin deep." The rest of Boyfriend, except Kwangmin joined in.

Minji opened her door and turned around. "Huh?"

"We know you're the wrong winner." Donghyun said, coldly. "I think it's best if you just leave the company."

"Yeah!" Everyone but Kwangmin agreed.

"By the way, you at dancing." Minwoo commented.

She looked at Kwangmin for help but he just avoided her gaze. She remembered what Mr. Kim said about not trusting anyone. When he looked away, she pushed past everyone and went to Kwangmin. She grabbed his hand and forced him to take what she was giving him. She walked into her room and locked the door behind her.

-

Kwangmin opened his hand and closed it quickly, hoping that none of the other members saw it.

"What did she give you?" Donghyun grabbed Kwangmin's hand.

Kwangmin quickly placed the object in his pocket and opened his hands infront of them. "Nothing." In his pocket sat the ring he gave Minji earlier that day. He knocked on her door. "Minji-ah, open up."

"Come on, Kwangmin, you don't need to associate yourself with her anymore." Jeongmin tried to pull him into their room.

"No, you guys go ahead. I'll be back."

The other members rolled their eyes and went inside the room.

-

Minji wasn't opening the door so Kwangmin picked the lock with a bobby pin he found on the floor.

"Go away." She mumbled into your pillow.

"Where's Sara?" Kwangmin asked, worried.

"At lessons."

"Good." He sat next to her on her bed. "Why didn't you tell me?"

She looked at him with teary eyes. "I didn't want you guys to hate me."

"But what you did was wrong," he pointed out. "You lied to get into the program."

"I didn't lie!" She raised her voice. "Before they stopped my training, Ms. Kwon told me that I was amazing. She said she would come up with a new dance routine for me so I can impress the CEO. I don't know what happened. I think I'm good at singing, too. Is it because I can't rap?!" She cried into her pillow.

He her hair. "You can't rap?"

"No. But I can sing, dance, and play multiple instruments. I don't see how not being able to rap means I'm not talented." She continued to cry.

"But I saw a video of you dancing... You're not very good." Kwangmin pulled out the camera from his pocket.

"What?!" She took the camera and played the video. Instantly, she said, "that's not me."

"Huh?" Kwangmin peaked over her shoulders.

"Look," she paused the video and pointed at the girl in the video's hair. "My hair isn't that black." She looked at her hair. "It's brown."

Kwangmin compared the hair. "You're right... I wonder why I didn't catch that."

"So you believe me?"

"I do now." Kwangmin smiled at her. "You know I'll always be by your side no matter what, right?"

She nodded. "Thank you, Kwangmin. You're a great friend."

"Want to go get some frozen yogurt?" Kwangmin offered.

"I don't want to go outside... What if your other members are the hallway?"

"Don't worry," Kwangmin put his arm around her shoulders. "I'll protect you."

~~~~~

"I don't see why Kwangmin has to stay with that girl." Jeongmin rolled his eyes.

"I'm upset, too, but we can't believe everything we see, right?" Hyunseong commented. "That video was pretty blurry. Maybe she wasn't the one dancing."

"Who ever it was, they really ," Minwoo shook his head.

Youngmin was deep in thought.

"What are you think about?" Minwoo asked Youngmin.

"I don't know. Don't you think it's a little weird that Ms. Kwon and Sara are related? What if Ms. Kwon helped Sara get into this company by lying?"

The members looked at each other. "It's possible."

"You guys saw the video." Donghyun frowned. "It's Minji that lied to get where she is. I didn't spend my teenage years training for nothing. I worked hard to get where I am today. It's horrible that someone can just sneak their way into the music industry."

Youngmin, Minwoo, Jeongmin, and Hyunseong haven't seen Donghyun so upset before.

"No one cheats their way into Starship Entertainment and gets away with it." Donghyun mumbled. "Guys, I have a plan."

----- June 13; 3 a.m. -----

Kwangmin slowly closed the Boyfriend door and tip toed away. He couldn't sleep because he was constantly thinking of Minji and the great time they had yesterday. They spent the whole day outside, walking around the entire town. He couldn't stop smiling even for a second to go to sleep. He decided to take a walk around the neighborhood to clear his head. "Hi, Mom, good morning." Kwangmin heard Minji talking on the phone in her room. He pressed his ear to the door.

-

The phone conversation was all in English. "Yes, I'm doing well... The medical program? Yeah, it's great... I met a lot of great mentors at this hospital... Their names? Um, well there was Dr. Kim. And Dr. Lee. What field? Oh um, you know the standard surgical. ... Yes, Mom, I'll study hard... Yes, I know becoming a doctor is a great dream... Thank you for being proud of me... Love you, Mom. Bye." Minji then softly swore in English.

In Korean, she said to herself, "I can't believe they still think I'm in Korea for a medical program. I would what she would say if I told my mom that I'm in Starship training."

Curious, Kwangmin knocked on the door. Minji opened the door for him. He tiptoed carefully into the room, trying not to wake Sara up. "Don't worry, she's a super deep sleeper; she doesn't wake up to anything." She said in a normal voice.

He nodded and sat on a chair. "Were you talking to your mom?"

She pushed her glasses back up. "You heard?"

"Are you lying to your parents about what you're doing here in Korea?" He asked, concerned.

She sighed. "Yeah. They don't understand. They refuse to let me become a performer."

"Have you tried talking to them about becoming a performer?"

"I did. That's when they decided that I should become a doctor."

"What's wrong with being a doctor?"

"Nothing's wrong with becoming a doctor. But I don't like it at home; all I do is study, study, study. That's why I refuse to leave Korea." She took off her glasses, placed it on her head, and looked at Kwangmin. When she looked at him, his heart skipped a beat.

"I know everyone in Starship thinks I'm the wrong winner. I don't know if it's true or not. I never really had any proper training in anything so I wouldn't know. When I auditioned for this program, I was half joking. But the day I received the email that I won was the happiest day of my life. And meeting all of you guys was great. You all treated me like an actual friend." She rubbed her sleepy eyes. "It was nice while it lasted."

"Woah, you were so happy just a few hours ago when we were hanging out." Kwangmin frowned.

"That was before my mom called." She faked a smile. "I think I should go back to America. Donghyun was right, I don't belong here."

"You do belong here." He insisted. "Donghyun was just PMS-ing yesterday. Don't take what he said seriously."

She looked down. "I wish I had a great friend like you back in America."

"You don't have any friends in America?"

"I used to, but my parents scared them away. They said that friends are only a distraction."

Kwangmin had the urge to holdher hands to give her support. He held back. "So how'd you convince your parents to let you come to Korea?"

"My parents found the email the CEO sent but they can't read Korean and they don't know about Google translate. I told them that it was for a medical program. It was the only way they'd let me go."

"Why are you lying to them?"

She shrugged. "It's only for the summer and this is my dream. I know I'm crashing into some obstacles when my dream just started but I've already come this far. I'm going to it up and push forward. I'm going to push myself to the limit until the summer ends. Once it ends, I'll go back to my boring life." Kwangmin rushed forward and hugged her. "Kwangmin-ah?"

"I promise to stay by your side. When no one else believes you, I will. Here," he handed her the ring back. "As long as you keep this on, I'll protect you as much as I can."

She held up the ring, skeptical. "You'll only protect me if I have this on?"

Kwangmin laughed. "No, it'll just be a secret signal for the both of us that shows that you want me by your side as much as I want to be by your side." He looked at her straight in the eye.

She smiled and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you for being such a great friend."

"Am I really just a friend to you?" Kwangmin asked himself, quietly.

----- 6 hours later -----

"Little Miss America is still sleeping," Minwoo whispered as he pointed at Minji who was fast asleep on her science textbooks.

"And so is Godzilla." Youngmin laughed and pointed at Sara.

"Do you all remember my plan?" Donghyun smirked.

"Guys," Hyunseong tugged on Donghyun's arm. "Let's go. We're trespassing; we shouldn't be doing this."

"She's the one that's trespassing Starship. She doesn't belong here." Donghyun snapped at Hyunseong. "Let's teach her a lesson about faking audition tapes." He grabbed Minji's textbook, ready to rip it in half. Before he could, Kwangmin rushed into the room and grabbed the textbook away from him.

"Hyung, don't do it..."

"And why not?" Donghyun challenged. "You heard Ms. Kwon. She asked us to get rid of her."

"But destroying her stuff isn't the way to get rid of her."

"Then how else do we get rid of her?"

"You really need to get over her, Kwangmin," Jeongmin crossed his arms. "She cheated her way into the summer program."

"We don't know that. Mr. Kim is still looking into this misunderstanding, remember?" Kwangmin defended Minji.

Jeongmin rolled his eyes. "I've never seen her do anything talented."

"Just..." Kwangmin tried to think of a plan. "I'll get rid of her. Let me do it."

Youngmin patted his shoulders. "Don't get carried away. She's just a girl."

"She's not just a girl!" Kwangmin raised his voice. Minji shifted in her sleep. "She's my best friend..." He lowered his voice.

Everyone rolled their eyes. "Let's go, guys," Donghyun pushed everyone out of the room.

"Wait!" Kwangmin called out to them. "Please, stop bullying Minji."

Boyfriend ignored him and went to their room.

Kwangmin gazed at Minji who was still fast asleep. "Everyone's wrong, right? You really are talented, aren't you? Prove to them that you're talented." He sighed, wrote a note for her and placed it in her textbook. He pulled the blanket ontop of her and kissed her forehead.

----- That Evening -----

Minji woke up to a note right next to her face. She reangled your glasses and read it. "Minji-ah~ When you wake up, text me. - Kwangminnie <3" She did as the note said and lazily texted Kwangmin.

Minji: I'm up ^^

Kwangmin: Had a nice sleep? :O

Minji: :] yes.

Kwangmin: That's good :D After you wash up, come to the dance practice room. Everyone else went out to eat dinner so it'll just be the two of us. I'll be waiting~

Minji: Yes, sir! xD

She smiled as she closed her cell phone. She washed up and put on a plain shirt and shorts. Her glasses were giving her a headache so she put on her contacts. She skipped over to the dance practice room to find Kwangmin freestyle rapping. "Wow, you're good." She complimented him as she sat on the floor. 

Kwangmin turned around and rushed over to her, excited. "You're finally here. I'm going to teach you how to rap."

She dropped her jaw. "Rap? I told you, I can't rap." She shook her head.

"Come on." He nagged her. "If you could rap, that would really blow everyone away."

She tried to run away but he caught her.

"I really want to teach you." If you could rap, maybe everyone would realize that you really are talented. Kwangmin thought.

"Why are you staring at me?" She tilted her head at him.

"Huh?" Kwangmin shook his head. "No reason. Minji-ah. If things get tough, I'm always here. Remember that, please. Don't give up on your dream of becoming a star."

She stared at him. "W-why are you telling me this? Is something going to happen to me?"

He ignored her question and pulled her to the middle of the dance practice room. "First, let's warm up your voice. Repeat what I say."

----- Two Hours later -----

"Kwangmin, I think we should stop." She laid down on the ground, defeated. "I can't rap and you know it."

Kwangmin pulled her up to a seating position. "No, you can. You just need to practice. Come on, let's try it one more time."

"You're wasting your time." She closed her eyes, sad and upset. "Can you leave me alone, please? I need to think about some things."

"You can tell me about your problems. I'm here to listen," he tried to cheer her up by tickling her.

She slapped his hands away. "Just leave. Please."

-

Kwangmin nodded and left the room. He closed the door to the dance practice room but instead of going to the dorm, he sat next to the door.

"Minji-ah, I want you to stay with me, here, at Starship." He whispered to himself. "I think I love you..."

He closed his eyes and thought of ways to convince everyone that she should stay.

Suddenly, he heard her singing.

His eyes shot open as he strained to listen. Her voice was so emotional and amazing that he couldn't believe what he was hearing. She stopped and loud hip-hop music boomed from the speakers. Kwangmin stood up and peaked through the small window on the door. She was dancing just as well as she sang. "Minji-ah... You're amazing." Kwangmin gasped as he watched her dance. "I'll make sure everyone knows just how talented you are."

----- Next Morning (June 14) [Sara's on a two day trip with Ms. Kwon] -----

"Heh, perfect, guys," Donghyun chuckled. "This is gonna show Lee Minji not to mess with Starship."

"Let's go, looks like she's waking up..." Jeongmin said as Minwoo, Youngmin, Hyunseong, and Donghyun rushed out of her room.

She rolled over to grab her glasses on the table, sat up and stretched. Once she opened her eyes, she started crying.

Her room. It was trashed.

The walls were spray painted, her clothes were thrown on the floor, her textbooks in a piled mess, and worse of all, there were sticky notes attached to her face that read 'Leave', 'No one wants you'. She laid back down on her bed and continued to cry.

----- Two Hours later -----

"Kwangmin, where are you going?" Minwoo asked when Kwangmin walked out of their dorm.

"I'm going to see if Minji wants to go somewhere today. We don't have a schedule." Kwangmin grabbed his wallet.

Minwoo dashed to block the door. "No! Don't!"

"Why not?" Kwangmin tried to push Minwoo way. "Are you still upset that she's not a noona?"

Minwoo couldn't think of a way to keep Kwangmin from going to Minji. "Yes!" He played along. "I'm upset so don't go to her!"

Kwangmin scoffed and pulled Minwoo away and opened the door. "Youngmin!" Kwangmin screamed when Youngmin was standing right outside of the door. "You scared me!"

Youngmin laughed. "Let's do something today. We haven't hung out all summer." He pulled his twin's arm.

"Wait, I'm just going to see Minji really quickly."

-

At the sound of her name, Minji came out of her room. She was going to walk around the neighborhood for the last time with her eyes red and puffy from crying.

"Minji-ah!" Kwangmin pulled away from Youngmin and walked up to her, happy. "Good morning! Why are your eyes red?"

"Allergies..." She lied and walked past him, emotionless.

"Minji-ah?" Kwangmin held her hand. She stopped and turned around. "What's wrong?"

She looked at Youngmin and Minwoo who were watching. She knew they were the ones who trashed her room. It definitely wasn't Kwangmin who did it. "Thank you for everything, Kwangmin. I don't know how I can repay you for everything you've done."

Kwangmin was worried. "W-why are you saying that?"

She forced a smile. "Good luck with your music career."

"Why are you acting like this?"

She ignored his question. "Maybe we'll meet again." She turned around and walked away.

"Minji..." Kwangmin was about to follow her when Youngmin and Minwoo grabbed his arms. "Come on, let's go eat some ice cream."

-----

"Wasn't that some great ice cream?" Minwoo rubbed his tummy.

"Yeah, sure was. Bye." Kwangmin hurried up the stairs to Minji's room. On his way up, he saw Mr. Kim enter his office. "Oh! I should talk to him about Minji's talent." He walked into Mr. Kim's office.

-

Youngmin and Minwoo were walking to their dorm. They met up with Donghyun, Jeongmin, and Hyunseong when Minji came down the hallway, rolling her luggage. "Minji-ah?" Youngmin stopped infront of her. "Are you leaving?"

She nodded. "Here." She handed Youngmin her ring. "Can you give that back to your brother? He gave it to me as a friendship ring but I can't accept it anymore."

"Okay..." Youngmin looked at the rest of the members.

She turned to all of them and bowed. "Thank you for being so kind to me." She left them dumbfounded in the hallway.

-

"Oh, crap," Jeongmin swore. "Kwangmin's going to be pissed off with us..."

~~~~~

Kwangmin walked in Mr. Kim's office. "I'm sorry to bother you, sir, but I need to talk to you about something."

Mr. Kim sat down on his chair. "What did you want to talk to me about, Jo Kwangmin?"

Kwangmin sat in the chair across of him. "It's about Lee Minji. Last night, I saw her singing and dancing in the practice room and she's really talent!"

Mr. Kim eyed Kwangmin. "You went against my orders and still peaked at Minji practicing?"

"Oh!" Kwangmin forgot that they weren't allowed to watch Minji. "I'm sorry I broke the rules, sir, but she's really good. Especially at dancing."

Mr. Kim nodded. "That's good to hear. Bring her to me. I'd like to see her myself."

Kwangmin bowed and ran to her room. He was so happy that he started to skip down the hall.

"Minji-ah!" He knocked on her door.

No response.

"Minji-ah! I have some great news!" He opened the door and gasped at what he saw. Her room was trashed. On the wall 'You don't belong here' was spray painted in red paint.

"What the?"

He picked up a bright pink piece of paper on her bed with his name on it. He read it out loud.

"Dear, Kwangmin, thank you for everything. You were a really great friend. Even though you said that you'd be by my side, I don't deserve having such a great friend like you. I decided to leave Korea after what I woke up to. I'm ready to face whatever punishment my parents decide to give me when they find out that I wasn't actually at a medical program. I'm giving up my dream of being a star... I'm sure my room is still in the state it was when I woke up. I know who did it but I'm not mad at them. Don't be mad at them either. If I thought someone cheated their way into my company, I would be upset, too. I'm heading back for America and I don't think I'll ever see you again. But, let's keep in touch. Looks like I'm destined to become a doctor. - Minji" Kwangmin rushed into the Boyfriend dorm.

"I can't help but feel bad about what we did to Minji..." Hyunseong slumped on his bed. "She was so sweet and cute."

"Yeah, she looked so upset." Minwoo agreed.

Youngmin sat on Kwangmin's bed and stared at Minji's ring. "Yeongwonhi... I think Kwangmin really likes her."

"He needs to get over her," Donghyun said bitterly. "She lied to get here. She's a bad person. I knwo you guys feel bad but I don't. She deserves everything we've done. We all worked hard to become stars. She shouldn't stay."

Kwangmin flung the door open. "You guys did this to Minji, didn't you?!" He waved the letter in Jeongmin's face.

"What's that?" Jeongmin grabbed the letter and started reading it. "Oh, crap." He tossed the letter to Donghyun. Donghyun read it and automatically gasped. "Oh, crap," he repeated Jeongmin.

Kwangmin grabbed Donghyun by the collar and pulled him up.

"Woah!" The other Boyfriend members ran up and tried to make Kwangmin let go of their leader.

"How could you?!" Kwangmin glared at Donghyun and let him go.

"Can't you get over her? She's just a girl, Kwangmin..." Hyunseong said softly.

"She's my best friend!"

"Best friend? Liar." Jeongmin whispered.

Kwangmin glared at Jeongmin.

Youngmin grabbed his brother's hand and gave him her ring. "We're sorry."

Kwangmin shook his head and clenched his fist. "You're going to regret hurting her." He growled before he stomped out of the room.

-----

Minji walked out of the Starship building and into the busy streets of Korea. She turned around and looked at the building. "Good bye, dream. It was nice while it lasted." She sang softly to herself as she trudged along. She didn't know where she was going and she didn't care.

"Hello, miss," a man in a suit walked up to her. "You look like a potential star."

She shook her head. "Sorry, if you're a salesman, I'm not interested in your products."

"I'm not a salesman, miss." The man pulled out a card. "I'm from JYP Entertainment. I heard you singing just now and I'm scouting you into our company."